1250 v 1200 is it worth it?

Nonsense. I only ever ride two-up and drive a 2017 BMW 320D. A GS LC is far quicker up to 100mph, although the 320 is faster at the top end

Fully loaded means Loaded panniers, top box and tank bag not just two people, big difference.

Fully loaded means Loaded panniers, top box and tank bag not just two people, big difference.

Yes, I’m familiar with the concept ;)

The old air cooled R1200GS did struggle fully loaded at times, but performance has never been an issue on my GS LC. Admittedly it doesn’t have the performance of my old K1200S, but it’s still far quicker up to 120 than a diesel car.

Attachments

• 8311DE1C-37C0-4E6F-B53E-34D5D882166E.jpg
    8311DE1C-37C0-4E6F-B53E-34D5D882166E.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 567
I got a whole £350 off, but had to tick pretty much every option - so not really a saving.....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, now I've collected the bike I'll answer the original question. Yes, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mate on his GSA thought it was quick against my ZZR1400 once.... He has since changed his mind.

The tale is still spoken about today... that was four years ago.

The howl of those twin titanium Akrapovich and quickshifter..... not a cat in hells chance of keeping up.

ZZR1400 is a beast.

I loved my ZZR.. 0-100 mph in 1st gear... LOL... monsters they are indeed!!

I loved my ZZR.. 0-100 mph in 1st gear... LOL... monsters they are indeed!!

We banned our mate from coming to Spain after his first visit with his ZZR 1400 , it just got in the way , overheated the brakes and slowed us all down. He came after that on his Ducatti Street fighter .
Great bike but a one trick pony , sorry .

Hi Nick,
I pick it up tomorrow afternoon and cant wait.
Why did you come all the way up to coopers from Yorkshire?
We have a Norway trip planed for August and cant wait to see how it dose on the backroads in Norway.
Quite a big shift for me having owned Harleys for the last 20 years.
I bought a Varadero to ride in the winter and got hooked on the adventure style bike from that.

Ride safe .

I live at the very top of North Yorkshire so Coopers is my nearest dealer.

I always used to use AJ’s but they seem very impersonal now when you visit and they ripped me off once a while back on an MOT so I looked for an alternative after charging me £28 for a headlight bulb I didn’t need.

I hope they enjoyed that £25 profit as it’s probably cost them several thousand pounds in profit from me since on two bikes bought elsewhere and several services done elsewhere.

We banned our mate from coming to Spain after his first visit with his ZZR 1400 , it just got in the way , overheated the brakes and slowed us all down. He came after that on his Ducatti Street fighter .

Never in a million years... I've toured many miles on the ZZR1200 and it was a fantastic bike on motorways to mountain roads. Maybe your mate could not ride it right??

Never in a million years... I've toured many miles on the ZZR1200 and it was a fantastic bike on motorways to mountain roads. Maybe your mate could not ride it right??

No, I agree with Stick.

It has no place alongside Superbikes in the twisties.

It's too long wheelbase and heavy for flicking around.

Yes you might ride it quick, but you're going to crash it trying to keep up with a Superbike in the twisties.

It is a one trick pony.

.... and I've had my knee down on that ZZR1400, so don't tell me my lean angles weren't good enough :D

Agreed.

He could ride well , ex racer. Used to run an ex BSB bike on the track and also used to ride R1 , Ducati etc all full sorted engine ( tuning) and suspension (Maxton)
He was fast and even he admitted that the ZZR was limited in the mountain roads , okay on the fast bits he was fine but in the real world of mountain passes it was flawed.
I rode it a few times and I agree it was impressive but still could not wait to give it back and ride my own bike ( super Duke R at the time )

Oh the ZZR, I had two of them the last a 2015 PS with the Ohlins on. Amazing bike and yes it handled well and did almost everything at a ballistic pace but have to agree on the mountain twisties, that was it’s Achilles heel and why I ended up trading it in for what I thought would be it’s replacment (H2 SX) but didn’t like that as much...so cancelled my order, but that’s another story.
Back on track with this post I rode a 1250 yesterday and was impressed, IMO an improvment over my 1200 LC....

Trying to compare a GS/A with any sports bike is a non starter, previously to riding GSs i owned a 2005 R1 and it was a beast! Top speed of 186 and 109 in 1st gear on the limiter, you'll never get anywhere near that on a GS/A. Like chalk and cheese totally incomparable, designed and built for different disciplines (track and travel). Although i found the R1 comfortable to ride over distance, would i do it now after owning a GSA - no chance. Great bikes on the track or in a straight line but in the twisties and mountain hairpins i'd take a GS/A every time.. I can't imagine what nightmare the stelvio would be on a sports bike compared to the GS/A...

We are not trying to compair it with a sports bike.. I've got a 10 year old R1 and the Yam would be all over it.. no way are they a patch on a sports bike in the bends...

but the comment was made following this statement '' My mate on his GSA thought it was quick against my ZZR1400 once.''

It was in comparison to a GS...

We are not trying to compair it with a sports bike.. I've got a 10 year old R1 and the Yam would be all over it.. no way are they a patch on a sports bike in the bends...

but the comment was made following this statement '' My mate on his GSA thought it was quick against my ZZR1400 once.''

I think people who have never ridden or owned a 200+ BHP motorcycle, have no idea how fast a powerful bike is. Especially up to 200 mph....

They just think their bike is fast, compared to a car?

Never been on a 1400... sat on one once, and its like 1/2 the size of the 1200 I had.. the 1200's were a big bike... but you could still throw e'm around!!

Riding Gods indeed.

Glad the Streetfighter was more more versatile:D

Sorry but isn't that a direct comparison between a GSA and a sports bike???

or are you saying a ZZR1400 is not a sports bike?

Back
Top Bottom