Scotland - South-West Coastal 300

I can recommend the SW of Scotland. Empty roads, plenty of great scenery. Mainly empty as people from the south don’t consider it to be really Scotland until north of the central belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve done most of that route a number of times and can highly recommend it. Portpatrick is a lovely little fishing community and the route from there up towards Girvan is simply stunning. If however these routes now get clogged up with traffic, bumper to bumper it will ruin the experience.

I see they have missed out some of the great roads and added in some absolutely crap ones.

Feck ,,, that's my home patch ,,,,, if the antics of some of the twats I saw last time I was " up north" we're ought to go by ,NO Thanks :(

Coincidentally, I'm writing this from my bed in a bunkhouse along that route. I'm doing some riding around that area using Dumfries as a base. Some great roads in that route, but also some horrible ones that I'd never ride for pleasure. Thankfully the inland roads that are amazing have been excluded, which keeps them empty for me!

We visit a friend up on the Isle of Whithorn most years stunningly beautiful coastline peaceful and quiet roads. All it needs is to be clogged up with a procession of motor homes.

Yet another area of decent roads to be ruined by those car clubs and hoards of bikers who want to 'do the SW300'. I wish the magazines would stop publishing these locations, and giving them a title as if it's 'route66', and leave them for those with a bit of imagination and who use maps to work out a route. I think I'll scream next time I'm at a bike meet and someone says 'oooh you must do the NC500, you don't know what you're missing'. It's as if they've discovered the roads have only just been constructed.

Yet another area of decent roads to be ruined by those car clubs and hoards of bikers who want to 'do the SW300'. I wish the magazines would stop publishing these locations and leave them for those with a bit of imagination and who use maps to work out a route. I think I'll scream next time I'm at a bike meet and someone says 'oooh you must do the NC500, you don't know what you're missing'. It's as if they've discovered the roads have only just been constructed.

You tell them! :beerjug::beerjug::friday:friday

Great thats aw we fekin need ..as if up north isnae bad enuff wi traffic n campers noo theyre comin south.. :mad:

NC ruined and now something else to wreck.
That's progress?

Feck ,,, that's my home patch ,,,,, if the antics of some of the twats I saw last time I was " up north" we're ought to go by ,NO Thanks :(

You tell them! :beerjug::beerjug::friday:friday

Now that you've blown your oil money, take the tourist spending out of Scotland and you'll be eating the heather, never mind the haggis

Until the NC500 title sprung up, the roads up north were relatively free of hoards of bikers, car clubs trolling around nose to tail, and accommodation wasn't too hard to find if you turned up on spec. I've noticed a much more conspicuous police presence in recent years, when in the past they were conspicuous by their absence Different story now, although I'm sure the B+B owners are glad of it. I'm now going up in either March or November to escape the crowds, thank god some riders think motorcycling is a seasonal event between April and October. :D

Now that you've blown your oil money, take the tourist spending out of Scotland and you'll be eating the heather, never mind the haggis

Nothing to do with oil or the economy. Most folk are happy with tourists coming, the problem is giving a route a title and concentrating a different form of tourism in one area. A lot of the folk who go round the NC500 would go round some of the area without a title and be happy tourists - now they can set a time, go in a car club outing, tick a box, etc. Better to just come and enjoy the country.

I'm not a jock, but I find that remark a wee bit condescending. It's no wonder some of them want to wash their hands of England.

They could have done a lot better. That section from Lockerbie to Elvanfoot is pretty shit.

Back
Top Bottom