R9t pre purchase questions

samsgs

Reaction score
Hi I would appreciate some advice please.

I am thinking of getting one of these however there a couple of things I am not sure about:

1. I intend to use the bike all year round - is there a lot of crap thrown from the rear and can it be mitigated?

2. Are the final drives a lot more reliable - years ago I was had an apprehension with the gs1200

3. I would like to have a warranty. Am I best off buying from a dealer or can/ should I source one privately and see if I can buy a warranty to go with it?

Thanks

1 - yes - you do get covered in crap
2 - same as ever
3 - dealer warranty is better than private
4 - budget to upgrade the rear shock - std one is too hard....

The Puig rear hugger helps to reduce the crap being thrown up and a second mudguard can be fitted to the underside of the seat also if required.

I am unaware of any reports of final drive failures but I certainly also remember my concerns on the same topic with my 06 plate GSA.

I wouldn’t bother with a warranty personally but you may feel it prudent if your doing a lot of miles.

Make sure you gets good test run on it.
I found it cramped and uncomfortable after about an hour in the saddle.
Mine was the original and best version not the scrambler or Pure.

I have the original classic model and after spending a fortune on decent suspension , gel seats , lowering foot pegs , bar risers and other things i love the bike but i wouldn't have it as an every day bike , there are a lot better machines out there for that.

1) Same as all motorbike wheels... If ridden on dirty roads they chuck up some crap! Huggers and Mudslings help keep the worst off of you and the shock.

2) Budget for a final drive rebuild at 40k-50k miles.

3)BMW warranties are excellent, but I'd happily buy without (but I know how to maintain and fix things).

4) 4,000 miles? Per year, month or total?!
4k per year is nothing... Not even a full service interval.

I love my Urban, although it's not very standard any more! I find the riding position to be perfect, and the original suspension was "ok"... But I have since uprated it for other reasons than comfort.
I prefer the Scrambler, Urban or Pure to the Original. Definitely not a Racer though!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Avoid the Pure. It’s a horrible thing to ride. The suspension is cheap and the worst I’ve ever ridden with Andy oh get virtually no information on the clocks other than the speed.

[you get] "virtually no information on the clocks other than the speed"

I like that bit!
To be fair, you get useful info too... oil temp for instance. What more do you need!?

These are built as fairly basic, stripped back, bikes. For me, that's their appeal. If you want lots of weather protection, comfort and electronics then these aren't the bike for you. If you want a classic looking bike with an old-school feel, but with modern reliability, power and braking, then go for it!

Thanks all I am going to go try one tomorrow if I can. Just got to find a dealer local to me. I don’t fancy riding in to Park Lane

Well I tried 2 of them but only around half an hour each.

The standard scrambler seemed to fit quite well, better than the option 719 version - which had the 17in wheels and fancy suspension.

The scrambler had road tires so I felt quite confident.

I especially liked the engine. The handling and power were more than sufficient for me. I guess for longer rides I will have to look at getting a screen or something.

Question now what to buy? Is it better to get one of the first ones? If so, can I make the rider triangle more similar to the scrambler?

I also liked having the rev counter!

The price is a bit spicy so am going to look at secondhand ones. I must confess to having some concern about other comments on the forum that the market may have dropped out of these so I don’t want to pay top dollar.

Thanks for any advice.

I would definitely recommend buying a second hand one - loads of low mileage examples out there for not a lot of money often with lots of extras ;)

Put on a dart screen and if you really want one there is a kit to add the rev counter - personally prefer mine without. Wilbers rear shock also much improves matters.

Had mine nearly 2 years now and it's in danger of becoming a keeper :D

Loftylad has got a nice Scrambler for sale on the classifieds.
FrankH had an Urban for sale there too

If you need an all year round bike, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Your butt will thank you & anyway you will need some decent weather protection.

These are cafe racer type machines, ultra strong on looks, low on practicality; cramped & uncomfortable IMHO. Ride one for 2/3 hours in the wet & you will get my drift.

Just my 2p worth which may save you the pain - some riders love em. Your money, your choice.

Cheers. I am going to see if they let me have one for a few hours

Back
Top Bottom