Dvla Historic Vehicle.

Homer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1974 Airhead on Sorn last year, online today--------comes up with historic status and no mot required,all done automatically,can't fault that!!

I have a 1960 Lambretta, taxed ‘Historic’ and up to very recently I’ve had it MOTed every year. It now needs an MOT but the tax is current. How can I change it to MOT exempt? The only procedure I can find is when retaxing at a Post Office you can declare it as exempt. But in the meantime is there anything I can do? It’s used so rarely I can’t be bothered to have it tested if I don’t need to. I do have other vehicles that I use more often and I do have these tested for my own peace of mind as a ‘second opinion’.

I have a 1960 Lambretta, taxed ‘Historic’ and up to very recently I’ve had it MOTed every year. It now needs an MOT but the tax is current. How can I change it to MOT exempt? The only procedure I can find is when retaxing at a Post Office you can declare it as exempt. But in the meantime is there anything I can do? It’s used so rarely I can’t be bothered to have it tested if I don’t need to. I do have other vehicles that I use more often and I do have these tested for my own peace of mind as a ‘second opinion’.

do it online it should go through automatic

Everything I can find only applies to when you retax it. I has 11 months still to go but the MOT has now run out. Tax and MOT were out of sync.

I think you should fill in v112 even though your tax hasn't expired.

I looked into this a while back because I have several historic vehicles. The form V112 (which you can download from the DVLA website) is needed in the Post Office when you tax the vehicle as evidence you don't need to produce an MOT certificate. However, you are not going to be taxing the vehicle, are you, because it's over 40 years old? Therefore, as far as I can tell, and the Post Office are clueless about this, and the DVLA not much better, you do not need to do anything. Because being 'a vehicle other than a public service vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years' (para 'r' on page 2 of the form) your vehicle is automatically exempt from an MOT. Initially after a telephone conversation with someone at the DVLA I filled in V112s for all my vehicles and sent them to the DVLA. After a while they sent them all back with a nice letter saying 'thank you'. So as far as I can gather if your vehicle is as described in 'para. 2 r' exemption is automatic. Since then I've filled in a form for my ancient BSA so I can wave it at Policemen if needed but otherwise done nothing. If you want to be a little more 'official', fill in the form and send it to the DVLA, they'll probably send it back saying 'thank you'. If your vehicle has 'substantially changed' you would need to do something different, but my reading of the definition of 'substantially changed' according to the DVLA website means an awful lot of major parts changed for non-standard ones, not just replacement bits through wear and tear. I'll be intrigued to hear if anyone has a different perspective on this...

DVLA

Just read through the forms and it appears my 1979 R80 Registered 01.01.79 seems eligible from this year. 15 years of dust to be removed and a relaxed view on whether a sidecar constitutes a significant change should see it back on the road for just a few quids classic insurance.

Hmmm, I think a sidecar might be a bit too relaxed a view! Whether your bike should be MOTed or not ultimately boils down to whether you're correctly insured, and if your combination should be MOTed and isn't then your insurance might not be valid. I always assume you should apply the 'American millionaire test' to insurance. That is, if you run over an American millionaire and he sues you, will your insurance pay up? If the answer is 'no' or 'maybe', then you need to do something about it. You can always ring up the DVLA and ask.

a sidecar is classed as an accessory by insurers so I would have thought it's OK

my 39 year old R80 is registered as an combination and as far as I can tell had the sidecar from new so shouldn't affect it for historic status next year :)

actually, reading the docs it looks like motorcycles aren't included in the "Substantial Change" section

What does ‘substantially changed’ mean?
A vehicle where the technical characteristics
of the main components have changed in the
last 30 years. These components (other than for
motorcycles
) are the chassis or monocoque
bodyshell (including any sub-frames), engine
and axle and running gear (alteration of the
type and/or method of suspension or steering).

Everything I can find only applies to when you retax it. I has 11 months still to go but the MOT has now run out. Tax and MOT were out of sync.

A 1960 should be tax exempt already forgetting the 40 year rule. So when you taxed it 1 month ago ( no cost) it will have been classified as historic. Are you looking on the dot gov website , because that shows an Mot has expired for my Kawasaki 1977 but in small letters says mot exemptions may apply for this vehicle.

I printed off a V112 form and ticked the box, but as stated above, the online system automatically states mot not reqd. Im guessing it was because you had a live mot when you taxed it eg your comment about them being out of synch.

Back
Top Bottom