BMW Tourshell or GS Dry Suit

eddles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all. My HG Sheltex suit of 11 years has finally given up so I’m looking for another. Went to my local Infinity store to have a look, but was not even acknowledged by the two staff in there so they aren’t getting my money! So I’ve settled on either the GS Dry suit or Tourshell and am awaiting Lind to get them in (in varying sizes) to have a try. What are people’s thoughts on either of these, I try to ride all year round with some eu jaunts at least once a year to sunnier destinations.... Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a tourshell suit for 5 years and its excellent,finally got round to washing it and proofing it last year. Never leaked once though. Only did it because it was starting to get a bit whiffy.

Thanks that’s the one I’m drawn to at the moment, but you never know when it comes to trying on and how it fits. So much choice out there but BMW stuff generally gets a good write up and after sales seems good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had both and prefer tourshell, the waterproof membrane is bonded to the outer layer so water runs off and doesn’t soak the garment. The GS absorbs the rain and becomes heavy although to be fair it does keep you dry.

Wife has the dry jacket. She bought it because it fits and looks great, however - it has kept her totally dry in 2 days of pouring Irish rain (better than my klim), warm in High Atlas snow (with a heated jacket) and cool enough in Death Valley.

It doesn’t get too heavy when wet but I still prefer a laminated jacket.
:thumby:

I have the Tourshell suit and the Rallye 3 suit.

As already said the Tourshell suit repels the water and never gets heavy and, as a result you don't feel cold (which you can do with waterproof liners).

I love my Rallye suit too and it is 100% waterproof but it gets very heavy when wet and if you don't have long sleeve base layer you can get quite chilly when it is wet. It then takes a long time to dry out again. The armour in the Rallye suit is a notch above the Tourshell but I would expect that as the Rallye suit is designed for riding in environments where you are more likely to fall off.

I choose my suit depending on my planned trip and the weather forecast. The Tourshell has a great puffa jacket liner which is very cosy and can be worn as a jacket in the evening on it's own.

I have no experience of the Dry Suit but suspect it is similar to my Rallye suite.

If I had to give one away....... It would be the Rallye as I think the Tourshell is better suit to its water repellency.

Hope this helps

Neil

Many thanks for all your comments, I am pretty sure I’ll go the Tourshell way now as it suits my needs better I feel. Again thanks for all the kind responses, it’s members like yourselves which make this forum.

So went to local dealer where they had kindly got both suits in 3 different sizes. Tried both on and with my head saying Tourshell and heart -quite surprisingly - saying GS dry. Dry was more “wearable” off the peg with Tourshell feeling a bit more stiff but suits my needs (touring with no off road) better. So opted for the Tourshell, with a great deal. I hope I won’t regret it, I’m sure I won’t from previous comments.

Back
Top Bottom