Sub frame strengthening

Wardy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering, have seen the doom and gloom forums, of sub frames snapping under weight, load, before I start stripping the frame apart, is it really necessary to brace up the tail section. What are your thoughts ? Cheers.

Never bothered with mine and have trail ridden with luggage , however I do have touratech panniers fails fitted which do add a little rigidity to the rear end.

Hi everyone, just wondering, have seen the doom and gloom forums, of sub frames snapping under weight, load, before I start stripping the frame apart, is it really necessary to brace up the tail section. What are your thoughts ? Cheers.

Had mine done before I rode the TAT as a precaution. Never had any issues with it.

Thanks ferret, suppose, I'm just thinking, how many people have actually had issue's with sub frame snapping. I've seen strengthening bars as well, from the foot pegs to the carrier, suppose every little helps.

Hi losttheplot, any chance of a photo please ?

When i go trail ride camping, my kit weighs in at approx 23kg. I use hepco and becker pannier frames which help triangulate the rear sub frame. Sub frame is original. Never had any issues.

Remember it's a mod that needs to be notified to your insurer, at least it is in the UK. Something they may decide not like as it suggests you plan to load the bike beyond the manufacturers rating.

Just sayin - it may be worth seeking insurers advice/stance first.

All depends on the weight you're gonna be carrying Steve, and the roads you're going to be riding ...

Has the gear lever turned up yet?
:beerjug:

Remember it's a mod that needs to be notified to your insurer, at least it is in the UK. Something they may decide not like as it suggests you plan to load the bike beyond the manufacturers rating.

Load of bollocks if you don't mind me saying :D

Hi micky and gareth, I always end up taking more weight than I really need, especially if doing a longer trip such as Morocco where think you need to carry a few spares just in case. Dont know if I could get away with 23kg though. Like the sound of the pannier rails acting as a external brace, hadn't really thought about that but it must work. Not sure if the gear lever arrived yet micky, I'm away at the mo. Has anyone got any photos of bracing/ welding, as if not to difficult, future son in law's got a tig. Cheers.

Load of bollocks if you don't mind me saying :D

Sorry to disillusion you, but that is precisely what my Insurers Bikesure 'Statement of Fact' details. Failure to disclose modifications could result in the policy being declared invalid.

If/to avoid any doubt all mods need to be disclosed. It then lists a few examples that suggest to me frame strengthening measures would be notifiable. If this is a known weak point, as Ewan & Charley proved on their LWR trip on the big GS, then I wouldn't foresee a problem........but the fact remains. Maybe your Insurers terms differ?

Sorry to disillusion you, but that is precisely what my Insurers Bikesure 'Statement of Fact' details. Failure to disclose modifications could result in the policy being declared invalid.

If/to avoid any doubt all mods need to be disclosed. It then lists a few examples that suggest to me frame strengthening measures would be notifiable. If this is a known weak point, as Ewan & Charley proved on their LWR trip on the big GS, then I wouldn't foresee a problem........but the fact remains. Maybe your Insurers terms differ?

Sorry ... it's not a modification, it's a repair to a cracked subframe :D

OK?

Christ, in that case I had better put a 'wide load' sign on when Anna hops on the back.. and we are definitely overloaded then, without gear!

Serves you right for going with 'Bikesure' - they will go through everything with a fine tooth comb looking for a reason to NOT pay you out. Serve you right for trying to save £20 on your premium.

Oh dear, what have I started here. Personally I don't give a monkey's feck about insurance, etc, etc, it's a repair to a sub frame, I'm not adding on a turbo, etc etc, I pay my premium, I have insurance. If anything, I'm adding to the ridgitidy of the bike, which in my opinion is showing due diligence to a known defect. Anyways didnt mean to start a row, only asking has anyone got any photos of said modification, its not an issue.

Hi losttheplot, any chance of a photo please ?

20190112-121016.jpg

Its the two panels welded in below the seat catch

Cheers losttheplot, that's exactly what I wanted, sure son in law to be can tack a couple of plates like those, many thanks. And John that is one great adventure, and ride report, what a trip. Cheers guys.

Back
Top Bottom