rear shock fefurbishment

Hi Denz0

I have a 2004 GS1200 on a 55 plate that has 52K on the clock with the original shocks fitted, so I am sure they are ready to be looked at.

What is the most economical way of getting them to you...Royal Mail etc, I am in the Midlands so bringing them to you may not be an option.
How much life would you expect to get out of them before they need to be look at again...10K, 2 years??

Sent my by Parcelforce express 48 from N.Ireland £14. So it’s not expensive and considering the fantastic job Denz0 does money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that, was that for both shocks as I could do with getting them both done..just need to put a full price plus business case to SWMBO!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Thank you for that, was that for both shocks as I could do with getting them both done..just need to put a full price plus business case to SWMBO!

I use Parcel2go just type your postcode and you will get an instant quote but should be within £9-14 depending on parcel dimension.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi

Thank you both for your answers

Denz0 once you do your magic do you think that they should be good for another 30k or so?

Recently very busy in my little shed.
Doing a couple of shocks and trying to finish working on the shock dyno so I can finally compare the standard suspension to Ohlins, Wilbers, possibly revalve them as well...
Pictures of the little dyno and first tests
This is work in progress I'm struggling with data collection software. This is Arduino based system and I'm not great at programming so it will take a while.
Followed by very successful repair of the ESA preload adjuster (ESA fault) and restoration of the F650 Dakar shock with only 20k on the clock and tons of corossion.
There where more projects recently and I will try to update the thread later...
15b1b6f91fcec50089fe8b6d88eb6b9f.jpg
7db58c46a69ee1f7585c0664a2a91ab5.jpg
df6f20daf36771a6d3b2a13acca2fde8.jpg
eecee42651b34ab5abb3ce9068e72027.jpg
65ad4769bae29fe6ffa929a9cf786466.jpg
05ad106077744598d0252ec834dd7228.jpg
e0fa759ae7c464280d4859d22cbfff6a.jpg
0dad6293d2e4cd93dc280f0688ba9704.jpg
f4c43817028975b62b1b7f5382750ed7.jpg
e595eba2a4160b55eaa52c553e434370.jpg

Hi

Thank you both for your answers

Denz0 once you do your magic do you think that they should be good for another 30k or so?

Not sure what the performance will be like after 30K but they last! The first shock I've done cam back to me after 5 years for another service without the oil leak. That was the prototype and I've gone long way from there...
That was the only shock I've seen for the second time...
Once I have my dyno working I will be able to measure exactly how much performance (force) shock loses after 30 or 40k , time to time I have one on the table that didn't leak.

Just wanted to add that Luke (Denz0) refurbished both shocks on my 1200* just before Xmas. He made a great job of it, he found and sorted a few other issues with the shocks whist they were apart and fixed those too, and did a few little other odds & ends he found on the bike, plus balancing the TBs for me. The bike runs 100% better now and the suspension is a lot smoother. On top of that, Luke took the whole bike and did all the dismantling and rebuilding, and all for an absolute absolute bargain price which I was more than happy with.

On top of that, he's a great guy as well, really knowledgable, very friendly and really helpful with all the little extras you need, like a lift to the station. Can't recommend him enough.

* OK, small confession from me, my 1200 might be a slightly different shape to most on here but it's just a different suit of clothes ;)

Another thanks from me. Luke (Denz0) just refurbed the shocks on my 1999 K1200RS.
Came back after a couple of weeks. looking like new.
Now installed, but haven't had them out on the tarmac yet...

Sent my shocks off GSA 07
Front hagon
And rear wilbers.

Great communication so far looking forward to have them back.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

The ESA shocks on my 07 GSA with 45k miles seem ok to me at the moment but I suspect that as they might slowly degrade over time I may not notice any reduction in performance. Is it worth getting them refurbished anyway, or just wait until they start to leak etc?

Mine started to leak sent it to Denz0! Had planned to get it done over the winter but the leak speed things up. I’m glad it did it’s a remarkable difference. As you say you don’t notice the degradation on it but notice the remarkable change when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some recent pictures of the shock I've done most of them at 30-50k.some lost the oil some still working.
One thing for sure RT shock is completely worn out at 40-50k piston band is not performing at its best and guide bush is worn out to the point where metal starts to dig into the shock shaft. This is due to the very short stroke and stiff spring.
Gs shock will last a lot longer but at 50K guide bush is also worn out.
Showa seems to be a little better quality then WP and more corrosion resistant.
SACHS on LC models is worst out of them all for corrosion resistance even chroming on the shaft is corroding after 15K 4years
Some random pictures of upgraded piston band, seal heads and shocks.
e1b8f0f6b7d3bc8d022be9516b12a6d3.jpg
9b72eef03a0cf471d1b7d422b6d7bcd8.jpg
326496221e6171b2d27105e8d8b46f3e.jpg
4f5a0f9b1540e562d8ec198f8de75f81.jpg
ddf9dcd4901e8ee4381ca667e9c6eea6.jpg
7620d06c259e79dfc44ff99b98a90114.jpg
7357772a90422515112102ea4113aeda.jpg
4ffc3e26d1afdcf74d8627df8b778b4f.jpg
e745ed4b095479085ab72da5bed3fd04.jpg

A big thanks to Luke who today returned my front ESA shock all clean and serviced. He did me a huge favour getting done in record time.

Next will be the rear...v soon.

But I have a question for those of you who have fitted a stiffer spring... Spent quite a while discussing with Luke the virtues of doing this.

Since I'm about 82kg, without gear on, I'm a bit over the weight the OEM shock is set up for.

What's the experience for those that have fitted a stiffer spring? I'm a tad concerned it'll raise the seat height more than I want - though I might be able to ride with it set to one helmet instead of one helmet + luggage! But I'd deal with that if the performance was improved...

I guess I'm wondering if, with a serviced shock, would I in fact rate that as an improvement?!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What's the experience for those that have fitted a stiffer spring?.........

I had a Maxton fitted to the rear of my twin-cam GS with the spring set to my body weight and I am very happy with it......

I don't have (or want) ESA and the handling and comfort levels are fine.

No regrets replacing the OEM one........ I'm not aware of any height difference over standard but I'm 6' so it's not an issue for me.

Still running the original front shock after 55k miles and it's fine. (frantically looking for wood to touch...)

Why do you ride with it set to one helmet plus luggage? What is the benefit of that setting?

Why do you ride with it set to one helmet plus luggage? What is the benefit of that setting?
If you're directing that at me, then my answer is simple. One helmet is too soft/too compliant. With one helmet+luggage, it all firms up and err...feels more planted.

You raise a good point though. That's my query: if I had serviced, correctly working OEM suspension, would that in fact suit me? Or would I still be riding with one helmet+luggage???

From all I've read, from a weight perspective, I'm on/over the optimum, especially once I'm suited up - forget then adding luggage. Hence a stiffer spring looks like a good idea? But BMW aren't stupid, why would they ship the bike like that?

But since meeting Luke, chatting then going away and reading more, I've realised there's a lot I don't really understand about suspension!

I replaced the springs for weight specific versions on my St1300 and KTMs. It made a big positive difference.

I’m no suspension expert, as I understand it a lower weight rated spring is compensated for by more damping, leading to a less compliant ride and less effective use of the whole capacity of the shock. The correct spring rating allows the full range of the shock to work as designed.

I’ll get round to doing the springs on the GSA when I can be 4rsed to take the shocks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I replaced the springs for weight specific versions on my St1300 and KTMs. It made a big positive difference.

I’m no suspension expert, as I understand it a lower weight rated spring is compensated for by more damping, leading to a less compliant ride and less effective use of the whole capacity of the shock. The correct spring rating allows the full range of the shock to work as designed.

I’ll get round to doing the springs on the GSA when I can be 4rsed to take the shocks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yea, your comment about the damping being used as a compensation feature matches what I've been reading....

Right now, I do notice the difference the damping offers - others reckon they dine notice any change at all?!

Right now, with me riding solo, riding with one helmet+luggage and 'Sport' damping, the bike is the best I can get it. By 'best' I mean the most responsive and allowed for an energetic ride. Adding panniers send to significantly reduce the damping settings... meaning with full luggage and set to two helmets I need it on 'Sport' all the time

try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcc9g_ZNDtw

preload changes rear sag, not stiffness. daming alters the rate the spring can compress / extend.

What you are describing is 1. reducing rear sag by using one helmet + luggage (this raises rear of bike. Normally you feel this at the front end) and 2. stiffening the rear shock by reducing the rate at which the spring can compress / extend (by altering damping)

For more weight you will def need more damping to keep the feel the same as before adding the weight

Back
Top Bottom