Green Clutch Fluid

Topcat502

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All..
Looking at my clutch fluid reservoir on a 2008GSA. The oil is ready for changing..
I noticed it's a green colour but recommendations are for the blue BMW stuff available at Motorworks..
Will this cause issues if I just bleed the blue stuff through or is it a slave cylinder off job??
Cheers :thumby::beerjug:

Are you sure the fluid that's in it is not blueish/greenish. I've got a 2011 twin cam and I changed the fluid recently, Hyspin V10, and the fluid in the reservoir did appear greenish (now that you come to mention it).

I suppose it comes down to how thorough you want to be, in regards to taking off the slave cylinder. I took mine off and ended up taking off the rear shock to get better access, but could have managed without doing that.

I removed the slave cylinder piston and cleaned everything up and when I put it back together I couldn't get any pressure at the lever even after bleeding half a bottle of fluid through the system.

I took the slave cylinder off again and pushed the piston back as far as it would go and this seemed to expel the air, then re-fitted it and bled it.... job done.

You know how it is, you spend as much or as little time as you like working on your pride and joy. :thumb2

Before you go running stuff through, look at what is reccomended.

My 06 clutch uses a mineral oil which if i recall i used Castrol LHM - and its naturally green

Steptoe will be able to confirm what is required.

One thing i can say is do not mix with anything else, otherwise you will end up replacing all the seals !

it has to be one type only in at any time (if that makes sense)

I used LHM in my clutch and all was fine. One litre was a fraction of the costs for the same stuff BMW sell in a 1/4 litre bottle.

BMW have gone through various colours of clutch fluid.

The very earliest was green/blue then pink now red. Or was it pink first then green blue... :D But if you changed colour you had to flush through all the old colour out of the system, you couldn't mix the colour of fluid.

Anyway doesn't matter which colour it is just make sure it's mineral fluid. I'm currently using magura mineral fluid, which is red (they also do a blue fluid).

My 300ml bottle of Magura "Royal Blood" is blue coloured, the litre bottle of LHM+ fluid I have is green. Both get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom