Watermarks on Black Engine Casings

Looks like a cleaner has been applied while the engine was still warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s normal water marks wipe a small area with a microfibre cloth with vinegar. If it’s scale it should clean up the spots. If the vinegar doesn’t shift it then it’s not normal water spots.

I’ll echo the TFR comment. As I used to valet the exterior of vehicles this can happen if a foam spray has been used to foam the bike ( as many do ) then it’s dried before being completely wash of with undiluted water.
Can be a nightmare to remove as it’s slightly corrosive, not attacking paint work but leaving a stain as it attaches its self to the lacquer surface of the paint.
If it were mine I would get some brake cleaner, soak the area of a cloth and clean a small area to see if it removes it.
It takes some scrubbing to damage the paintwork so light circular motion will be sufficient.
If the marks come out of the small area you do, leave the rest and pop back to the dealer to show them the problem.

Sven, if you bought the bike from Jeffries they will definitely look after you. I had an issue with a GS I bought from them last year, some corrosion on the engine, they put a new engine in for me but also as an option offered me a newer bike. You couldn’t wish for a more helpful dealer.

Sven, if you bought the bike from Jeffries they will definitely look after you. I had an issue with a GS I bought from them last year, some corrosion on the engine, they put a new engine in for me but also as an option offered me a newer bike. You couldn’t wish for a more helpful dealer.

It didn't come from AJ's, but they also sorted my last GS and replaced the engine, driveshaft and bevel gear due to corrosion, but that was a completely different issue

I’ll echo the TFR comment. As I used to valet the exterior of vehicles this can happen if a foam spray has been used to foam the bike ( as many do ) then it’s dried before being completely wash of with undiluted water.
I always dilute my water before use - too strong otherwise;)
Alan R

I always dilute my water before use - too strong otherwise;)
Alan R

Thing is it’s diluted out of a foaming gun if the washer has a pipe that goes in to a container or it’s from a bottle at the end of the Lance.
It could have been done at the first service for all he knows as sometimes this can be complimentary.
It can be covered up buy wiping WD40 over the affected area which will last a fair time before showing again.
If this isn’t just an engine problem there will be tell tail signs elsewhere in the correct light and it hasn’t been covered with polish etc.
Hazsafe from auto smart or similar is the safest to use, as TFR has to be leathered after rinsing as it does leave a protection film on I’ve found, not easy on engine parts - and as previously mentioned, never use on warm or hot engine.

The dealer has now referred the matter back to BMW as it was an ex BMW staff perk bike and was valeted by them prior to delivery to the dealers apparently. Watch this space...

Wise words.

Bookmarked.
If one uses undiluted water to wash a bike, it must rinsed off with normal water to prevent watermarks. Ex BMW staff perk bikes are particularly prone.
Alan R

Do you live in a hard water area? If so use a hot air dryer to prevent these unsightly marks on that lovely black engine. You can get a pet dryer orf Ebay for around 40 quid. Wash, rinse,dry, its handy for drying the discs and calipers too.Works for me.

Do you live in a hard water area? If so use a hot air dryer to prevent these unsightly marks on that lovely black engine. You can get a pet dryer orf Ebay for around 40 quid. Wash, rinse,dry, its handy for drying the discs and calipers too.Works for me.
I got one of these, paid a bit more for mine, as i actually use it for the dogs best thing i ever bought

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The dealer has now referred the matter back to BMW as it was an ex BMW staff perk bike and was valeted by them prior to delivery to the dealers apparently. Watch this space...

Sorted :thumb

The dealer has offered to take the bike back and refund the full price :beerjug: I've ordered a new R1250GS TE as the RS isn't available until September. The missus isn't amused :p

The dealer has offered to take the bike back and refund the full price :beerjug: I've ordered a new R1250GS TE as the RS isn't available until September. The missus isn't amused :p

I have a sneaky feeling they knew exactly what they were doing! :D

Cannot fault that as a response tho?
Chris

Not too shabby. I nearly went for a very lightly used 2018 S1000XR, but decided my licence wouldn’t last two minutes. A GS LC with a more refined engine seemed like a more sensible idea :p

Great choice Sven...enjoy.

TD

Back
Top Bottom