R1150GS running issue

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2004 R1150GSA - cat removed, Sebring end can

Pulls cleanly till 4500 revs, then a massive flat spot between 4500 - 5000. Pulls cleanly after 5000. All gears, regular as clockwork, big hole in power 4500 - 5000

Coil Sticks? Seems odd it’s just that 500 rpm window :nenau

Had a kind offer from Phil (fatnfast) to check the throttle body balance and valve clearances but if I can save him the hassle...

Cheers

have you access to a spare TPS off a known good machine??

and i have come across a few incidents of Lamda probes causing issues thankfully it's a default map in the ECU that the lamda influences and disconnecting the Lamda just resorts to default fueling

So try a disconnect of the Lamda and then if that doesn;t work try replacing the TPS

"But" it has to be off a known good bike or you are still "guessing"

Running issues

Hi, contact gs John on here he supplied me with a stage 10 chip for my 1150 gsa my bike has more torque more power and no flat spots

2004 R1150GSA - cat removed, Sebring end can

Pulls cleanly till 4500 revs, then a massive flat spot between 4500 - 5000. Pulls cleanly after 5000. All gears, regular as clockwork, big hole in power 4500 - 5000

This is what tends to happen when you decide to change the exhaust system that a manufacturer has spent a lot of time and money developing so there were no flat spots... “ yeh, but it sounds great don’t it mate” :D

This is what tends to happen when you decide to change the exhaust system that a manufacturer has spent a lot of time and money developing so there were no flat spots... “ yeh, but it sounds great don’t it mate” :D

I did wonder if it could be that, hence my wanted ad. Only collected the bike yesterday so trying to sus it out :thumb2

Hi, contact gs John on here he supplied me with a stage 10 chip for my 1150 gsa my bike has more torque more power and no flat spots
Just fitted my stage 10 today, plus added 1200 injectors from Tillman.

The Black one is the 1200, Grey one the original one. Don’t ask why I’ve swapped the injectors, I came across a post on here about someone else doing it, and I’m very, very gullible :nenau so probably another £120 squandered :blast

When the “Male” QD Connector arrived from Motoworks ( don’t ask :blast) I’ll give an update. :rob

I do have a mint collector box for an 1150 and replied to your pm Gooner

In one

People piss about with a bike weighing 250 kgs in the hope of making it go faster

Fit decent suspension and ride the torque

I do have a mint collector box for an 1150 and replied to your pm Gooner

Cheers, will get back to you

In one

People piss about with a bike weighing 250 kgs in the hope of making it go faster

Fit decent suspension and ride the torque

You spent last Summer hunting for a Remus :D

Went through this over 15 years ago:-

R1150GS with standard cat and can ..........quiet with the occasional pop and bang and no running issues

R1150GS with Remus decat and Remus race can ........... yes it went a little bit better at the top end was excessively noisy and popped and banged all of the time but lost midrange

R1150GS with standard cat and Remus race can ...... noisier than standard and went the same as standard

R1150GS with remus decat and standard exhaust ......... sounded quieter than the standard cat/Remus can option but slightly louder than standard, not popping and banging all the time, a decent weight saving and no running issues .

Later tried it with the Remus decat and a Remus road can but went back to the decat and standard silencer

J’me sourcing a cat and standard can. Won’t fit them till I know everything else is ok (with FanFast’s help). I replaced the cat in my last GS rather than the Remus Y-piece fitted as I preferrred the silent approach, can see where this is heading

It is odd how the ‘hole’ in the mid range (and it is a whopping great chasm, not a ‘bit down on power’) occurs at exactly 4500 rpm and clears at 5000. You’d think it was electronic with that consistency

Re-catted and 90% of the issues are gone. You can still feel some 'hesitation' at the same revs but I'll let it run a couple of tankfuls before wondering whether to fit an original end can too. I'm hoping it'll improve the economy as I only got 220 miles from a full tank, probably because you had to keep the revs above 5K to make it go - and it went very well when given the revs

Now it's nice and smooth and quite(r) just how I like it. The Urban is for noisy shenanigans :thumb2

EDIT: None of the above would have been possible without FatnFast's endless patience and good company...valve clearances set, throttle bodies balanced, 12V supply rewired, Cat refitted, fuelling maps changed etc etc.

Top Lad Phil :beerjug: :thumb2:bow:clap

Standard cat fitted with a "stubby" exhaust. Runs perfectly well, no noisier than standard, with the bonus of same sized luggage on each side.

Re-catted and 90% of the issues are gone. You can still feel some 'hesitation' at the same revs but I'll let it run a couple of tankfuls before wondering whether to fit an original end can too. I'm hoping it'll improve the economy as I only got 220 miles from a full tank, probably because you had to keep the revs above 5K to make it go - and it went very well when given the revs

Now it's nice and smooth and quite(r) just how I like it. The Urban is for noisy shenanigans :thumb2

EDIT: None of the above would have been possible without FatnFast's endless patience and good company...valve clearances set, throttle bodies balanced, 12V supply rewired, Cat refitted, fuelling maps changed etc etc.

Top Lad Phil :beerjug: :thumb2:bow:clap

Aww shucks ya to kind :) ........and I've now moved and I'm not giving you my new address.....;-)

Back
Top Bottom