Why do I need fuel reserve straw in tank

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just had a newly painted and cleaned out tank and while I was refitting fuel taps I was wondering if I should remove the short straws so the reserve would scavenge more fuel? The pipes have the inner gauze and for good measure in-line filters too. Would taking the short straws out give me better reserve capacity?
Cheers
G

The filter gauzes will get clogged up with all the shit from the bottom of the tank.

You know those people who designed the taps did it for a reason, don't you? :thumb

His newly painted and cleaned tank shouldn't have too much shit in the bottom at this point.

And my gauze filter goes over the top of the straws and gets blocked anyway.

How quickly it builds up will depend on where he buys his petrol, and how often the tank is cleaned, but with the gas around these parts I remove and drain the tank at every 10,000 km service .

Any crap makes a good weedkiller!

So I have removed the straws on the reserve side without any problems.

Don't know how much further it will go on reserve, I haven't had to find out yet!.

Another reason the straws are fitted is for water contamination. At certain times of year a surprising amount of water in the form of condensation can be liberated from the fuel as it goes through heat/cooling cycles and sit at the bottom of the tank. No amount of gauze or inline filters will stop that getting to your carbs.

All makes sense either way and I’ll clean the tank each spring too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom