Relocated the canister

Nutty

Reaction score
I was going to get rid of it completely, but there could be issues with warranty etc, so I bought this handy plate to allow it to be mounted centrally.

If anyone is thinking of doing the same, I got it from http://shop.moto-eng.com

They also do a plate to protect the lock, so I’ll order one of those, as it’s very close to the canister now.

Attachments

• 3E88EAC5-CF75-47B3-BE4E-3825BA5800B6.jpg
    3E88EAC5-CF75-47B3-BE4E-3825BA5800B6.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 876
  • 00A6A247-5DEF-45FE-9F58-360AD69E3FE9.jpg
    00A6A247-5DEF-45FE-9F58-360AD69E3FE9.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 754
  • 551AC86D-FE53-4B02-B336-0D46606DE15B.jpg
    551AC86D-FE53-4B02-B336-0D46606DE15B.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 658
As Andy in Premier bikes said to me. “Some people remove those you know ...”

All the encouragement I needed ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Knowing my luck, the bike would explode if I remove it! This gives a bit more room under the seat while retaining the canister :thumb

As I understand it, it's just a filter for the fuel tank vent + a solenoid valve that shuts when the ignition's off. If you want to ditch the solenoid, and you don't have to, you need a dongle (20K resistor) to fool the ECU.

My bike's never had one, so some of the above might be sketchy.

So my first thought was “You’ve got a what?” :jes Every day’s a school day!

Plus it takes 5 minutes to put it back - which is what i would do if it went bang ;-)

The canister being removed cannot do any harm (except a minute amount to the environment - but if you were that bothered you would be riding a dull Honda) I just skip 1 portion of red meat a week to offset the damage.

My cannister is gathering dust in the back of the garage for the last 13,000 miles. Maybe it was my fault we had such a hot summer last year. I used the Rottweiller delete kit but I've seen simpler methods on youtube.

Likewise! ;)

I know KTM had no choice in fitting that cannister, but their choice of locating position and mounts was disapointing.
Ive remounted mine to a shelf in the garage :D

plenty of good info on You-Tube

To those that have removed the canister completely, did you use the kit, or just plug the lines? If the latter, which ones, as the guys at Premier said to get it right?!

I know a few people have removed the canister, then have mentioned excessive fuel smells from the bike.:blast

If you remove the hoses from the canister, there’s one you can blow into - that’s the fuel tank over flow, route that down to the foot peg area.

The other you cant blow into, that needs to be blanked, the right size bolt and zip tie will do the trick.

Neither should result in explosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you remove the hoses from the canister, there’s one you can blow into - that’s the fuel tank over flow, route that down to the foot peg area.
The other you cant blow into, that needs to be blanked, the right size bolt and zip tie will do the trick.

Mine, as per above.
I terminated the overflow hose in a bunch with the existing breathers/vents forward of footpeg.
I HAVE noticed fuel smells, taste, occasionally when riding.
I may relocate the hose further back, possibly in smoother airflow...

I noticed current BMW's have their cannister mounted vertically alongside rear shock.
(I gather they have no room for toolkit, even without a cannister showing up late-to-party):p

If you remove the hoses from the canister, there’s one you can blow into - that’s the fuel tank over flow, route that down to the foot peg area..

Even that is over-complicating the job.

Down by the foot peg is a larger hose with a bung in it, that joins the one you can blow into mentioned above with a Y-Piece.

So, block BOTH the pipes going to / from the canister & remove the big bung from the one already by the footpeg and job done ;-)

In 6,000 miles I never noticed any petrol smells on the 1090 - maybe if you overfilled the tank you might get some, also if you do overfill in the garage the overflowing fuel will drip down from that pipe - just like all bikes did before the canisters...

...which reminds me, when you undo the big bung there will be probably be a little dirty old fuel in there, so worth having a jar or something ready to catch it.

Even that is over-complicating the job.

Down by the foot peg is a larger hose with a bung in it, that joins the one you can blow into mentioned above with a Y-Piece.

So, block BOTH the pipes going to / from the canister & remove the big bung from the one already by the footpeg and job done ;-)

In 6,000 miles I never noticed any petrol smells on the 1090 - maybe if you overfilled the tank you might get some, also if you do overfill in the garage the overflowing fuel will drip down from that pipe - just like all bikes did before the canisters...

...which reminds me, when you undo the big bung there will be probably be a little dirty old fuel in there, so worth having a jar or something ready to catch it.

I’ve done exactly that! I followed a you tube video instructions from Pedro Azeres. I did experience allot of fumes and smell coming from a fat hose by the peg every time I came to a stop or parked the bike. Ended up blocking it with OEM bung. Without realising... come time to refuel, the built up pressure in the tank would metaphorically speaking blow the filler cap open at the slight hint of application of force on a release tab. Feeling it being rather sketchy, I’ve reinstalled the canister and will eventually get relocating kit as did Nutty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom