Interesting Route Malaga to Salou

de crowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a few days (2.5) to do this journey next week, anyone recommend an interesting route or routes? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like it. Bods are distracted by matey and his jaunt to a track day. Unfair, as you were in first.

But hey, it’s only been eight hours and many of them will have been asleep after a dram.

Looks like it. Bods are distracted by matey and his jaunt to a track day. Unfair, as you were in first.

But hey, it’s only been eight hours and many of them will have been asleep after a dram.

I have booked Ubeda for the first night and will travel cross county to Granada and up from there. I will head to Cazorla and head up the west side of the Sierra de Segura, depending on the weather and aim to spend my second night heading towards Valencia.

The only area I've ridden in that area is up towards Salou, though I've driven hire cars further south. Based on those experiences, I'd say avoid the coastal motorway route unless time becomes an issue.

I would heartily recommend the mountain roads to the northeast of Teruel. This area is called Maestrazgo (or El Maestrat) and is, I'm told, the least densely populated area in Spain. It is certainly very rural, though the road quality is generally good. On the route below, which I've only done very briefly, you will find a variety of roads from fast and sweepy roads to some almost Alpine twisties, with the odd bumpy country lane thrown in for good measure. Ideal roads for a GS...

You could do Valencia to Salou via this route in a day. I still remember the Menu del Dia we had for lunch in Mora de Rubeilos (or possibly Rubeilos de Mora) for 8 Euros, three courses including one drink and a coffee. Probably gone up to 10 Euros by now! Avoided the restaurant, headed for the Comedor, ate what we were given, and it was fantastic. The place was like the staff canteen for everyone working in the area - farmers, construction workers, police etc,

It gets quite chilly in the winter, and will be like an oven in July and August though slightly less so than the coast.

Maestrazgo-M.png

Just go out and ride, you’d have to be very unlucky to find a bad road in Spain.

The very recent thread on the fellow’s ride from Bilbao to his trackday, would seem to consign that sweeping statement to the dustbin of history. Do you have any other suggestions?

One amendment to the rough route I suggested: You want to take the A226 between Allepuz and Cantavieja, over the Puerto de Villaroya. Lovely road.

One amendment to the rough route I suggested: You want to take the A226 between Allepuz and Cantavieja, over the Puerto de Villaroya. Lovely road.

Thank you for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The very recent thread on the fellow’s ride from Bilbao to his trackday, would seem to consign that sweeping statement to the dustbin of history. Do you have any other suggestions?

Gotta agree.

A good general rule is that if you can find N roads that have an alternative M.way, you're onto a winner; they'll be well surfaced and generally free of heavy traffic. However, it also depends on what area you are in. In the center of Castille on the plains, for instance, you might be forgiven for thinking you are on a US highway with long boring straights.

Google maps street level is your friend. Even the green marked roads on the Michelin/Anaya maps (or even TomTom route planner now) aren't infallible. A quick glance at the road in street level mode will tell you what it really looks like. Again, exceptions exist because some have been re-surfaced and can be a joy to ride, but in general..... GM is pretty accurate.

For example, my first avoid, avoid, avoid, is always motorways but after that is the type of roads which are narrow and have no centerline markings. They are ok for a couple of miles but anything more than 10 becomes tedious and dangerous, especially if they have drops on one side and rockwalls on the other.

Lastly, this is where lack of local knowledge will get you into trouble so listen up: That A319 looks great, doesn't it? The one going through Cazorla (nr Ubeda - which by the way, you'll really like. I spent a night there in Jan). Indeed the northern part of it is quite passable but just have a look at the southern part up to and including the lake/reservoire on GM street level. It is a single lane (with no markings) and very windy. The biggest issue, however, is that it is rammed at the weekend with cars (and people, kids, dogs....) because it is a trekking area. Almost impossible to overtake anywhere. It doesn't improve much during the weeke either because at least at the weekend you won't go over 20km/h. Any faster and you will surely risk an off due to oncoming traffic hogging the single lane.

Ask me how I know....

Baeza near Ubeda is worth passing a couple of hours in. They are only a few miles apart, and are both World Heritage sites. I can recommend the Parador in Ubeda if you are not already fixed up.

Cheers guys! I was randomly in Salou this morning on the bike and ran the route in reverse. I am now in Calpe recovering from the overdose of bends and perfect tarmac

Cheers guys! I was randomly in Salou this morning on the bike and ran the route in reverse. I am now in Calpe recovering from the overdose of bends and perfect tarmac

Thanks for all your contributions I am really looking forward to this trip now!!!

One of the very best! :)

The Maestrazgo is very cold in winter and in summer it's cool at night. The section between Cantavieja and Morella is very narrow in places, hardly more than a lane really, but don't be tempted to ride north on the A-226 from Cantavieja, its pants!

Cheers

Simon

One of the very best! :)

, but don't be tempted to ride north on the A-226 from Cantavieja, its pants!

Cheers

Simon

Last time I rode that way, I went south east from Cantavieja to La Inglesuela del Cid, then north east to Morella via Cinctorres. I can't remember the detail, except it was a lovely ride.

Previously I'd ridden north west on the A-226 up towards Villarluengo, short detour to Pitarque, then on to the N420. The A-226 that way is a fairly minor road, a bit bumpy, very twisty but goes through some properly amazing scenery. I'd say it's worth it from that point of view (and the sense of relief when reaching the N road and being able to get above 3rd gear for the first time in a while!). This was on my R1200GS - I wouldn' t choose to ride it on current bike (K1600GT) as it would be a bit too much like hard work.

This was taken just south of Villarluengo - it's one of my favourite bike photos. It doesn't really give the scale of the scenery; between the bike and the rock formation in the background was a very deep gorge.

DSCF0707%20post.jpg

Last time I rode that way, I went south east from Cantavieja to La Inglesuela del Cid, then north east to Morella via Cinctorres. I can't remember the detail, except it was a lovely ride.

Previously I'd ridden north west on the A-226 up towards Villarluengo, short detour to Pitarque, then on to the N420. The A-226 that way is a fairly minor road, a bit bumpy, very twisty but goes through some properly amazing scenery. I'd say it's worth it from that point of view (and the sense of relief when reaching the N road and being able to get above 3rd gear for the first time in a while!). This was on my R1200GS - I wouldn' t choose to ride it on current bike (K1600GT) as it would be a bit too much like hard work.

This was taken just south of Villarluengo - it's one of my favourite bike photos. It doesn't really give the scale of the scenery; between the bike and the rock formation in the background was a very deep gorge.

DSCF0707%20post.jpg

Nope, that's the A-1702 you were on my good man! fantastic road and, as you say, amazing scenery! :)

First off thanks to everyone who offered advice. The road from Malaga to Salou, and back proved very interesting indeed not merely simply the route but also by the weather and road conditions.
ba38ed4c0c9a4df3ed6a3ede1aa23cb2.jpg

When I set off on Sunday afternoon the weather was lovely dry and bright around 20 odd degrees.

I set off from Malaga up the A45 to Casabermeja where I picked up the A356 to the Reservoir ( Embalse) de Vinuela before turning up the hill to the A-402 through some of the best, twisting roads I know in the area to Ventas de Zafarraya.
946414f225abc142a71b6e50451013c0.jpg

Here I swung a left to the A-341 to take an even more back road to Granada. I have travelled this area a far bit over the years but this the first time I hit about 15kms of unsealed road. A wonderful afternoon as I ultimately joined the A-92 outside Granada. From there I made my way through the foothills of the Sierra Nevada beautiful covered in snow. Just outside Jaen I swung right onto the A-316 heading to Baeza. I arrived around 7.30 pm on Palm Sunday to discover the entire historic town center including where my hotel was located closed off for the religious processions. Spanish Easter parades are very interesting and colour full affairs but the charm is lessened which you are hot and sweating in full twat gear. I eventually abandon my bike and after a conversation with a Polica Local ( in french) trek through the procession to the hotel. I couldn’t even be bothered to take photos but it was something like this
72154c42ca090bb06b33b16b5fdccc41.jpg

Back
Top Bottom