We are based just 30 minutes from Malaga airport in the heart of one of the best adventure riding areas in the world. With Morocco and Portugal on our doorstep many forms of riding holiday can be arranged

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Route Malaga to Salou

Quote Originally Posted by Plymadv View Post
    Cheers guys! I was randomly in Salou this morning on the bike and ran the route in reverse. I am now in Calpe recovering from the overdose of bends and perfect tarmac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The route in post #5?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Last time I rode that way, I went south east from Cantavieja to La Inglesuela del Cid, then north east to Morella via Cinctorres. I can't remember the detail, except it was a lovely ride.

Previously I'd ridden north west on the A-226 up towards Villarluengo, short detour to Pitarque, then on to the N420. The A-226 that way is a fairly minor road, a bit bumpy, very twisty but goes through some properly amazing scenery. I'd say it's worth it from that point of view (and the sense of relief when reaching the N road and being able to get above 3rd gear for the first time in a while!). This was on my R1200GS - I wouldn' t choose to ride it on current bike (K1600GT) as it would be a bit too much like hard work.

This was taken just south of Villarluengo - it's one of my favourite bike photos. It doesn't really give the scale of the scenery; between the bike and the rock formation in the background was a very deep gorge.

Nope, that's the A-1702 you were on my good man! fantastic road and, as you say, amazing scenery!

The route in post #5?
    Yes 90% of it. Ive been bashing around Spain for the last week. So many good roads and great food

Interesting Route Malaga to Salou

First off thanks to everyone who offered advice. The road from Malaga to Salou, and back proved very interesting indeed not merely simply the route but also by the weather and road conditions.

When I set off on Sunday afternoon the weather was lovely dry and bright around 20 odd degrees.

I set off from Malaga up the A45 to Casabermeja where I picked up the A356 to the Reservoir ( Embalse) de Vinuela before turning up the hill to the A-402 through some of the best, twisting roads I know in the area to Ventas de Zafarraya.
    Here I swung a left to the A-341 to take an even more back road to Granada. I have travelled this area a far bit over the years but this the first time I hit about 15kms of unsealed road. A wonderful afternoon as I ultimately joined the A-92 outside Granada. From there I made my way through the foothills of the Sierra Nevada beautiful covered in snow. Just outside Jaen I swung right onto the A-316 heading to Baeza. I arrived around 7.30 pm on Palm Sunday to discover the entire historic town center including where my hotel was located closed off for the religious processions. Spanish Easter parades are very interesting and colour full affairs but the charm is lessened which you are hot and sweating in full twat gear. I eventually abandon my bike and after a conversation with a Polica Local ( in french) trek through the procession to the hotel. I couldn’t even be bothered to take photos but it was something like this

The night was rounded off by a spectacular Fireworks display which I grudgingly admired

You'll be drummed out of the Brownies for not having shiny panniers....

Thanks for taking the time to say 'Thank you' for the help given. So often we hear nothing beyond the first "I need help, fast...." plea.

The next day I headed off tootling around the back roads and reservoirs east of Ubeda before working my North onto the N-322 direction Albacete and from there staying on the N-322 to Requena. For the most part I really enjoyed this journey along a largely quiet rural road with spectacular landscapes particularly as I looked East.
    As i approached Teruel I found a hotel in a place called El Castellar about 30 kms away. I ended up taking an unintended detour onto a mountain pass road the VT-TE-09 and as the evening approached and up at around 1500 meters and in Spains apparently least populated area I was relieved the F800 GSA has proven so reliable. Great area for watching the night sky and dinosaurs! I stayed in a lovely hotel, only otger guest being a widower from Switzerland on a tour around the Iberian peninsula in a VW polo. The above recommendations guided my route choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    You'll be drummed out of the Brownies for not having shiny panniers....

Thanks for taking the time to say 'Thank you' for the help given. So often we hear nothing beyond the first "I need help, fast...." plea.
    I always very much appreciate the help And advice i get even if I don’t always take it. So thanks again

I stayed in a lovely hotel, only otger guest being a widower from Switzerland on a tour around the Iberian peninsula in a VW polo
    Name of the hotel etc etc please. Not so bothered about the widower. Young, Swiss and female, on the other hand, preferably very rich....

Tuesday morning in El Castellar was barely above freezing and i waited a little time before departure, being mindful back in Ireland the sun was splitting the stones.

The A-228 and A-226 are cracking roads although with the temperature around 3.5 degrees and the altitude rising to 1730 meters I was reminded for some reason of riding through Massif Central in France but in a more desolate landscape. I took a right turn, not necessarily deliberately off the A-226 at Cantavieja heading on for La Iglesuela del Cid and onto Vilafranca del Cid onto Castelfort and down the CV-124 to Morella. The day had brightened up and I even spotted another bike coming against and a little later a bunch of KTMs 1190s or 1290 types parked up gazing jealously at my stunning 800GSA.
    I parked up on a hill opposite Morella to take stock, well satisfied for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Name of the hotel etc etc please. Not so bothered about the widower. Young, Swiss and female, on the other hand, preferably very rich....
    Hotel Rural Curia in El Castellar!
    Hotel Rosaleda Don Pedro Ubeda.

Mindful that the boss and no 3 son were flying into Reus Airport around 2pm and that number 1 son was arriving by train from Barcelona and knowing I was coming back the road in a few days, i took an executive decision and picked up the N-232 and headed in the direction of the coast and Picked up the N-340 near the coast to head North to Salou, the N-340 being one of my least favorite roads whether in the North or South of Spain. I am not certain I made up much time. The road was relatively busy and as usual it was blustery but at least it was warm and sunny. I checked into the apartment complex showered parked up etc., and was coincidentally at the complex gate when the Queen arrived . We then headed to the train station via the promenade to pick up another son and spotted something interesting parked in a hedge of the pedestrian drag in Salou.
    The return journey follows later!

Quote Originally Posted by de crowe View Post

Not only are your panniers not shiny enough, but you haven't changed the vehicle on your sat nav from a car to a bike. You should hang your head in shame - no wonder Johnny Foreigner thinks we're an absolute shower...

Sounds like a great trip!

Not only are your panniers not shiny enough, but you haven't changed the vehicle on your sat nav from a car to a bike. You should hang your head in shame - no wonder Johnny Foreigner thinks we're an absolute shower...

Sounds like a great trip!
    I am Johnny Foreigner !

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

On Holy Saturday ( the day before Easter Sunday) I loaded the bike. The day was pleasant calm and bright but not overly warm. Over the previous 4 days I had been receiving report of “heatwave” which had befallen Ireland. In any event following recommendations above I travel the N-340 south and pick up the C-44 to Mora d’Erbe.
    Immediately once off the coast road a great biking road opens up in front of me and I am not alone with bikes all over the place. I stop to change a blown bulb bext to the river.

I intend to pick up the C-12 but some how find myself on the N-420 again a great piece of tarmac and find myself the subject of a chase by all sorts of flash sports bikes. Naturally anxious to avoid embarrassing the locals I pull over at a bill board advertising the Reus Bike show May bank holiday weekend, Mmmmm!

This is very much the terrain I like to travel through. Vines, flowers, undulating landscapes, no real traffic. I decide to stay on the N-420 for a while happy that I am heading in the right general direction. My intention being to travel to Morella cross country by a route different to my route North. Also the view to my left /South East id fabulous.
    After a coffee stop at Calaceite I turn onto the A1413 heading towards Cretas and thereafter I pick up the A231 to Valderrobres. I follow more stunning road along the A-1414 to Monroyo turning off on a whim to visit a little church and adjacent monastery converted to a museum dedicated to the local industry, the pig industry.
    From Monroyo I follow the N232 to Morella, to examine what I had bypassed previously. The town is jammed packed for the Easter ceremony and i am obliged to park up and potter about. I pick a spot between an R1200r and a stunning r1200rs sport.

Morella is a stunning wall town perched on a hill.

Fuck off truffles, fuck off cars, fuck of knives!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast