doing the nc 500 from the 11/04/19

greg gardiner

Reaction score
as the title says doing the nc 500 from 11/04/19 till the 15/04/19.
ill try and post a few pics while im on it but not sure if i can. as i only have a phone to do it if i cant ill post pics when im back home
c u all soon :beer:

It aint like that now, ive been up there every year for the last six years, passed thru on the way bak from the hebrides last year, fook me, motorhomes everywhere, scottish tourisms killing it, i still love it up there, biking nirvana

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We did it about exactly the same time last year and it was fantastic with no traffic to speak of and to early for midges lol.
Only complaint I had was the potholes on some of the roads which may have been fixed or maybe new ones now.
Enjoy anyway the best roads and scenery you'll likely to ever see if you get good weather and visibility.

Ooh looking forward to this, we're heading up there for the last 2 weeks in June. Hoping to be on the GSA but i'm in for surgery on my thumb on the 10th May so not sure if i'll have recovered in time... If i can't ride we'l be in the car...

If youve never been anywhere up there before, prepare to be blown away, beautiful scenery, amazing roads, no where like it in the uk

We did it last week last year. We are currently on Skye Having done Wiltshire - Loch Lomond - Ullapool - Lewis & Harris. Tomorrow we go to Applecross to once again ride the Bealach na bà, before returning to Skye to catch the ferry to Mallaig and begin our return journey. We have been blessed with outstanding weather - we are all goretex'ed up but have seen (literally) a few drops of rain. Our bikes are covered in a fine layer of dust. Who would have thought it!?

Just booked to do this with a mate mid September, hopefully quiet roads and fingers crossed not too much rain

Did a version of it last September,the weather was horrendous pissed it down everyday but the high winds were the worst thing.I avoid the East coast as its a bit of a let down and yes it's become very busy ,Skye was packed.It is a beautiful place.

We did this last year and it was fantastic. In order to avoid all the motorhomes and traffic, most at least, we did it in reverse direction starting Inverness and going anticlockwise. The brochures and the official route go clockwise ;)

We did this last year and it was fantastic. In order to avoid all the motorhomes and traffic, most at least, we did it in reverse direction starting Inverness and going anticlockwise. The brochures and the official route go clockwise ;)

Luck of the draw I guess,we have been up there 4 times once in July and 3 times in September and it's rained most of the time,still love it though must be awsome if you got some nice weather.

It aint like that now, ive been up there every year for the last six years, passed thru on the way bak from the hebrides last year, fook me, motorhomes everywhere, scottish tourisms killing it, i still love it up there, biking nirvana

april seems to be the time to go. we had very little traffic. weather was cold very windy but dry for the full duration we were there .

We've just returned from a week on the NC500 and Hebrides. Cold nights, warm sunny days, clear roads and NO midges (but Gin... Some cracking Gins!)

Attachments

• 2phills.JPG
    2phills.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 344
We've just returned from a week on the NC500 and Hebrides. Cold nights, warm sunny days, clear roads and NO midges (but Gin... Some cracking Gins!)

I don't believe that is Scotland, no rain and the sun is shining.
I have done 3 bike trips to Scotland, it has rained every day of all 3 trips, admittedly it did not rain all day everyday so maybe that counts as a sucess up there.

Seriously. We Covered 1850 miles - our route shown in the photo. We had a MAXIMUM of 15 minutes drizzle on one day. The sky was blue every day. No, it wasn't sunbathing weather, but several times when pitching our tents we were in shorts & T shirts. Dark visors were fitted ALL week and on occasions, we even had to supplement them with flip-down visors.
It wasn't so warm that the midges were out and there was enough of a breeze most of the time that they wouldn't have bothered us if they had been. The second night under canvas in Ullapool was bloody freezing at -1C with a force 4-5 blowing off the sea, but the dawn brought the sunshine back and we'd had a few beers and slept through the noise of the wind. Our last night under canvas was up near Mallaig and we celebrated our trip with a camp-fire cook out on the beach - several beverages were consumed too.

You can be lucky with the weather on the West Coast... you can be unlucky. Last year, on the NC500, we had 1 day of glorious weather, one of "OK" weather and all the others, we got piss-wrapped! This year, the gods were kinder to us.

The Photos are:
Our campsite amongst the Cullins of Skye
Eilein Donan Castle
Sunset on Lewis
Campfire cookery near Mallaig
A highlighted map of our route

Attachments

• 8896567e-350e-40bd-bf1b-3bbb538b0917.jpg
    8896567e-350e-40bd-bf1b-3bbb538b0917.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4544.jpg
    IMG_4544.jpg