Thread: Just can't make my mind up

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Just can't make my mind up

Hi all,

I'm not new to bikes but am new to the GS range. I had an S1000XR in 2015 when they first came out but thats long gone now. Been away from bikes since Nov '17 but the desire to ride again is growing (even though the roads are full of cagers on their mobile phones and pot holes big enough to hide in !!!) I'm intrigued by the GS range but have never rode one. I'd hate to just buy another XR as it's a known quantity without trying a GS so I've booked a test ride at my local BMW dealers on Monday morning. Test riding a 2nd hand 1200 GS TE, the new 1250 GS TE & a S1000XR to see what the differences are compared to what I can remember about my '15 model. Looking forward to getting back on 2 wheels again. Now I've got to decide do I go cash deal or PCP, mmmmmmm.

Cheers,

Ian C.

Cash. Always cash, unless they’re doing 0%.

If you don’t want to rag the tits off the bike, the 1250 would be a good option. Or you could have the best of both worlds and get a KTM 1290.

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Welcome to all things UKGSer Ian ... now go book some test rides

Congrats on coming straight in as a subscribed member ... you'll get your money back tenfold

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty KTMer View Post
    Cash. Always cash, unless they’re doing 0%.

If you don’t want to rag the tits off the bike, the 1250 would be a good option. Or you could have the best of both worlds and get a KTM 1290.
    Are you allowed to mention that 3 letter word on this forum ??!!

Quote Originally Posted by K22race View Post
    Are you allowed to mention that 3 letter word on this forum ??!!
    I’ve lost count of how many GS’s I’ve owned, so I’m allowed!

Greetings Ian & welcome

Time to test ride methinks.....plenty to choose from & deals to be had; don't ignore the used bike market either, and there are often some nice bikes for sale on the forum too
    Bounce

Test rode the XR1000 & GS1250 this morning (the 2nd hand GS1200 wasn't available) The XR was a joy to ride, just as I remember it. comfortable, powerful with a very smooth, slick gearbox. I'm no Tom Sykes but that bike handles (at my level of riding) like it's on rails. Didn't want to take it back or get off it. Jumped on the GS1250. Even more comfy than the XR but (as you'd expect) a completely different experience. The quick shifter needed more revs than the xr before it became smooth, the front brakes didn't seem as sharp and I didn't feel as confident when leaning it over. To be fair to the GS, this was the very first time I've ridden a boxer twin, all my other bikes over the years have been in line 4's. I was beginning to gel with it at the end of the test ride. I can see the attraction of the GS now I've ridden one and understand just why they are so popular!! The digital dash was something I was looking forward to seeing in action, but as nice as it was I prefer the digital/analogue set up of the XR. I was offered the demo bike but would have to wait 8 weeks before it would come up for sale although they did offer to put it away for me so no one else would ride it. The savings against a brand spanker was only £841 and they have one coming into stock next week. Big thank you to Pidcock BMW & Tom the salesman. Very helpful with zero sales pressure. Now to sleep on the decision to buy the XR or not. First world problems eh !!

Ian C.

I have both of them in the garage at the moment. The gs is the most comfortable by a fair way, it’s easier to keep clean if you don’t like cleaning bikes. The Xr is more fun to ride by a fair way. You have to decide what you want to do, or own them both, because let’s face it, you could by two really decent second hand ones for the price of the new gs these days.

I had a similar dilemma a couple of months back. I went for the GS and really am impressed by how well it hustles.

went to wales on Sunday and had a real hoot flying back home. Whilst it isnt as sharp as a sports bike it is real world quick on the road. will take it on a track day later in the year to see what it will really do.

Then I hope you make the right choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty KTMer View Post
    I’ve lost count of how many GS’s I’ve owned, so I’m allowed!
    Mainly because you're not very good at counting!

Welcome to the forum, K22race.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Mainly because you're not very good at counting!

Welcome to the forum, K22race.
    I stopped counting when I got to double figures