Modified the new 1250 - can you spot the difference?

fred_jb

Reaction score
Been doing a bit of work on the new 1250 - can you spot the difference? And no, it's not the top box or tool tubes!

Before:

untitled-50729-X2.jpg

After:

A6K5-50788-X2.jpg

There's some sort of lash-up where the screen should be. I see that was there 'before' as well. So I can only guess you're referring to the fact that the silencer is now at a more detumescent inclination.

Ummm.. is it a Givi Airflow on a std Gs screen ?.?..

As Schtum so eloquently put it, the exhaust silencer has been lowered.
One suspects that it was only lowered in order to fit those tool tube thingies.
Are they really necessary?
Is there really no space anywhere for a toolkit?

For a massive and easy cosmetic improvement, pop back out and remove that abhorrent spray deflector.

The Shad panniers will be fitted shortly now you've lowered the silencer...

Wait till he gets a puncture on the weekly adventure to the local supermarket. ;)

Stripping all those pannier's and bling off, only to fing out he cant get the wheel off ;)

But wait, our intrepid adverturer has a worldwide tookit......

Trouble is it's in the garage ;) :)

What is the extra brake light? Link ?

So what is the reason for dropping the silencer.
Personally I think it makes the bike look crap

I suppose everyone can do as they wish, however if it was me I would have left the silencer as is, as has been pointed out, rear wheel removal is now a full time job, as for the tool roll, I would have personally put a TT style toolbox on the other side, fixed with Cymarcs excellent brackets, ps if anybody needs these brackets, I have a brand new set in the bag, 20 quid postage included to the UK.

https://www.nippynormans.com/tourin...-tool-box-mounting-kit-r1200gs-lcadventure-lc

Well thanks for the comments guys, well up to the usual UKGSer level of cynicism! Amusing use of the word detumescent, though strictly speaking no reduction in stiffness was involved and the exhaust is still structurally sound. Still, although my wife affectionately refers to the bike as "Bikey" I may have to rename it to "Brewer's Droop Express".

To answer a few questions in no particular order:

The exhaust was not lowered in order to fit the tool tubes, it just so happened that there was just enough spare space behind the Shad three point pannier frames to fit them, and they are a useful bit of bonus storage space. The real reason for the lowered exhaust is entirely practical, which is to have my preferred type of panniers with an equal 35 litres of space on each side, while still being no wider overall than the bars. This makes filtering, even two up with luggage, still feasible, and has proved its worth on a couple of trips.

These 35 litre panniers, together with the adjustable top box which gives a maximum of 58 litres, gives me 18 litres more luggage space than the new Goldwing on a bike which weighs about 100 kg less! On the previous GS, to which I fitted a low level exhaust from the RT, I covered about 11,500 miles in about 18 months, so a bit more than a weekly supermarket trip! Most of this was touring two-up in Spain and France where the luggage has proved to be extremely practical, especially the internal pannier bags which allowed the panniers to stay on the bike.

Regarding wheel removal, I don't know about you guys, but I'm not taking my wheel off every five minutes, just once every 5000 miles or so for a new tyre, and even then it is literally a 5 minute job to remove the exhaust first. Easy enough to even do at the roadside if necessary, but the last time I had a puncture on a trip I successfully fixed it with a plug kit, with no need for wheel removal.

Additional brake light: this is an optional Shad part which screws on to the top box mounting plate. When I paid about £25 for this I was annoyed to find that it actually contained 4 incandescent bulbs, so I stripped it out and fitted two strips of LEDs instead.

Screen: This is a Slipscreens GSA style screen, but I went for their 2" higher variant. I fitted a Givi AirFlow to this, having had great results from these screens in the past, but as Givi don't sell a dual screen for the LC, I made this myself by buying the necessary parts as spares, and find the resulting freedom from buffeting very satisfactory.

Camera: - I have a Vsys front and rear dashcam fitted

Some more pics below, and if anyone is interested in how this mod was done I can post some pictures of that too.

Fred

A6K5-50795-XL.jpg

A6K5-50796-XL.jpg

A6K5-50797-XL.jpg

Hi Fred a couple of questions: what metric system is UK currently using? honestly, not trying to be funny, but I see you using Kg and miles on the same sentence, just wondering whats´s used there on a day to day basis, and, second, I´m considering a bike camera, so, does your rear camera keeps clean with all the dirt that the rear weel spits out?

Hi Fred a couple of questions: what metric system is UK currently using? honestly, not trying to be funny, but I see you using Kg and miles on the same sentence, just wondering whats´s used there on a day to day basis, and, second, I´m considering a bike camera, so, does your rear camera keeps clean with all the dirt that the rear weel spits out?

I'm just reflecting common usage. EU countries and the UK generally quote weights in kilograms, only the Americans cling to pounds for vehicle weights, but due to the UK's half-arsed move to metric units we still quote distances in miles. As someone who has worked in engineering disciplines and been educated in SI units, I see this as not ideal, but we are where we are!

PS: No problem with dirt on the camera!

ok, thanks (engineer here too, so wondering about it ;) )

Back
Top Bottom