Electra Glide loose aux light & indicator stem.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
fe592e0599952a7a5ba959b206e47bf6.jpg

Got my bike shipped back from being serviced and found one side loose. I thought it would just be tightened via an internal nut but, not one inside the light housing. The indicator body where connected to the stalk is for the wires to the bulb socket.

How is it to be tightened?

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

From memory I think you'll find an internal nut inside the indicator; if not, it's been a while :augie

... or it's the indicator stalk that is threaded. I do remember doing one on my FLHS but it was some time ago.

Ronnies parts fiche shows an internal locknut in the indicator body.

ps - you'll have to reset the search in Ronnies to find your bike.

The bad news is the wire runs through the nut and it’s a bitch to get at with an open ended spanner - seem to remember my independent has a socket with an open side to let the wire slip through..

Remove the two allen screws on the shoulder of the indicator bracket. Easier with a ball allen key.
The indicator then hangs down on a wire. Shine a torch up inside the passing light bracket and you'll see the securing nut
which needs tightening.
It's 9/16" and you will need a long reach socket to reach it. The snag being, it will need a long slot cutting into the socket to avoid
trapping the wire.
I think HD sell a special socket but it will be a lot cheaper to make your own for something you'll probably never use again.
Another suggestion is to ride it to the garage and ask could you nip it up on the car park using one of their sockets.
A bit of a fiddly job but will only take ten minutes with the right tools.

Thanks Brut, will first try to nip it up a bit with something before buying a cheap long reach socket. My socket set is too expensive to cut up.
Bikes going nowhere yet as trying to get it registered (HDI model) and DVLA initially knocked it back even though it has had parts changed (light & Speedo) plus passed its MOT.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I seem to recall I freed the indicator wire, slid the socket up and tightened it with a screwdriver in the back of the socket.

Back
Top Bottom