Nav V - Not being recognised by home computer

viffer

Reaction score
Hi folks,can anyone help me out with a problem with my BMW nav V.
Its decided not to link with my laptop MacBook Air,I’ve tried all the recommendations from the Garmin site to no avail.I think the problem happened just after I installed a new GPX file.
Thanks in advance

Delete the GPX file and see if it sees the nav?

If not uninstall the driver, and reconnect the nav . it may force the mac to look for the correct driver ..

and change your USB cable,

I found out last week via Sena, that if you try to connent using a charging only USB cable instead of a Data/charging USB, some things wont see the unit and install drivers etc

Delete the GPX file and see if it sees the nav?

If not uninstall the driver, and reconnect the nav . it may force the mac to look for the correct driver ..

and change your USB cable,

I found out last week via Sena, that if you try to connent using a charging only USB cable instead of a Data/charging USB, some things wont see the unit and install drivers etc

Thanks for the reply
The cable is the original from Garmin supplied,I’ve tried doing the same thing Ona Microsoft laptop now same results not recognition of the nav.

I would definitely try another good quality data cable. I used to use the one for my car Garmin until it failed. Looked new on the outside.

when you connect the nav to the mac via the cable does the nav light up and come alive ? click on the finder icon the nav will show in the left hand column ...you need garmin express loaded as well as basecamp

A Mac can often take awhile to find a Garmin GPS device. Are you sure you have been patient?

I have the same issue with mine....albeit to a proper computer rather than Apple.....change the usb socket if poss, and just keep trying over and over....eventually it does find it.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/reset-usb-ports-mac-laptops-51619.html

82a5d595d904c6e5aa002c6e806397cf.png

Yes mate I’ve left it hours.
I know what I did was to unplugged the nav without ejecting properly!
Any ideas fellas.

Simply unplugging it instead of ejecting it shouldn’t matter too much.

Just out of interest, is the device fully charged?

This may not be relevant to you, but....

I had trouble connecting my nav5 to my PC using Mapsource. So try this-

To make it connect you need to fiddle with the settings in your Nav 5 and change them to Mass storage mode.
Here's a copy of my post

I have a Nav 5. I use Mapsource as I prefer it. You keep Basecamp, I don't want it, or like it, or want to use it. It doesn't do,what I want...
To change your Nav 5 settings to Mass storage mode you have to access a hidden menu. My Nav 5 has just gone back to Garmin to be replaced so I have to do this from memory
Find the page with all the past info on it, max speed, average everything, time travelling, time stopped etc. I get to it by touching the 3 horizontal lines on one of the tabs on my dashboard.
YOy should get to a black and white page with loads of info on it.
NOW... press and hold the speed ummm button at the top(?) until you get the hidden menu come up.
Scroll down to the last page, and press the MTP radio button to switch it on. It doesn't upset anything else I'm told.
Now your Nav 5 should be recognised by Map Source.

Any luck?

I have the same issue with mine....albeit to a proper computer rather than Apple.....change the usb socket if poss, and just keep trying over and over....eventually it does find it.

Soooo....

It got worse, eventually not being recognised at all.

Chat to Garmin, work through their suggestions, no joy, back to Garmin, who offer to replace it for £116.03, it being out of warranty. Not much option so now waiting for a new one.

Strangely, I struggled to get my laptop to recognise my Nav 5 a few days ago. Was swearing and worrying something was wrong, then tried a different USB cable and all was ok. I hope that remains the case.

Back
Top Bottom