Bloody unreliable KTMs

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had 2 failures in 2 weeks.

First a horn wire snaps. Fixed in 1/2 hour or so thanks to a guy on FB telling me how to get the headlight out by undoing only 8 screws instead of the 20 something + 5 panels doing it by the book :)

then the fuel level float got stuck at the top so the gauge read full all the time. Another 1/2 hour job sorting that.

Still they are the first faults in 18K and cost zero to rectify, so I can live with that.

Crap bike aren't they...........

My float has started to randomly stick, I was gonna leave it as it doesn't bother me but if it's a simple fix...........what did you do to sort it?

Andres

Crap bike aren't they...........

My float has started to randomly stick, I was gonna leave it as it doesn't bother me but if it's a simple fix...........what did you do to sort it?

Andres

Took the tank cover off, pull off the connector, undo two screws and remove the sender. Prise the lower end off with a screwdriver and take out the float (mark so you know which way it goes back). Sand the top 10/15 mm of the the float slightly and reassemble.

TBH I only started this thread because i thought it might be nice too read about something other than the 790, nice though they are :D

Took the tank cover off, pull off the connector, undo two screws and remove the sender. Prise the lower end off with a screwdriver and take out the float (mark so you know which way it goes back). Sand the top 10/15 mm of the the float slightly and reassemble.

TBH I only started this thread because i thought it might be nice too read about something other than the 790, nice though they are :D

Fab :beerjug: and yeah, agreed :D

Andres

Do you have that link for removing the headlight with undoing 8 screws?

tricky as it's on facebook and so only visible to some.

You undo the 2 visible, slightly longer (than all the other panel) screws, that hold each Mask Spoiler on, on each side. two are inside the cockpit either side of the instruments and the other two are the most forward ones on each spoiler. You then pull the front of the spoiler up and out giving access to the lower headlight screws behind. I've only done this once and may have loosened a couple of screws further back as well.

Note: there is a weedy downward facing tab that locates the top edge of each spoiler, just as it curves inwards. That is why you must lift up as well as out, or they could snap off.

Take out the upper headlight screws and the headlight unit comes out. You may need to take the screen off, that's another 4 screws. I've got to do another one, maybe tomorrow, so I'll check it out.

The side panels, mask spoilers and tank cover stay on.

Paste that FB link anyway cookie - I understand your instructions nevertheless.

D.

Back
Top Bottom