Oil warning indicator

Swell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all. I was a member many years ago when I owned an 1150 GSA. I’ve had a long break and now I’m on a 2014 1200GSA LC. The bike is used for a long commute now and then plus some fizzing around town. When out for a long ride recently the oil warning light came on. I was in the middle of nowhere so couldn’t do much but when I stopped for fuel and restated the bike the light was off. The sight glass shows oil just below the middle. The bike has done just over 12k and has full dealer service history. I remember my 1150 did burn a bit of oil up to about 20k but the light never came on. I’ve ordered some top up oil and will add a bit when it arrives but does anyone know what point the oil light comes on and how long you can ride before topping up becomes critical.
Many thanks in advance of any replies.

You could have been on a steep hill when starting maybe, if oil is at half, warning light will come on, little top up will fix that, as it will do the same going downhill, and if that does not sort it, then has to be oil sensor.

but don`t overfill it!

down hill, just under 1/2 full is when you may see it... and despite what some people say, they can use a bit of oil... 1/2 ltr (top of ring on the glass) to mid point over 6K is acceptable. this usualy happens if run in too light so give it some stick and you stand a chance of beding the rings more...
Usual uses over 5000 RPM and when sat on the motorway for long periods.. :)

My previous bikes had hair triggers on the oil warning light.
I would do a check in the sight glass and it would be comfortably above the middle of the glass. You might ride off again and it would disappear. Would only take a smidge if oil and it would be up near the top of the glass and the warning would be gone.
They seem very sensitive to anything other than perfect oil level.

Are you sure that it is not the oil pressure warning light?

Had a similar oil level light come on after a long decent through multiple hairpins on a trip a few years ago on a 2013 GS LC,

It cleared after adding a little oil and back on level ground, no issues since on my 2015 GS either.

Many thanks

Cheers all, some good pointers there. I’m going for a spin tomorrow so I’ll keep an eye on it and clock when/if it comes on noting what I’m doing. If there’s any developments I’ll let you know.

Oil level sensor according to real oem

The oil pump has a pressure control valve internally, but nothing to indicate oil pressure

do you use any oil at all... have you noticed?

Back
Top Bottom