Insurance and Business Use for insurances if an IAM Observer?

avmac7

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So Cornmarket (IAM Surety as was) include Class 1 Business Use for IAM Observers. I only need SDP inc commuting for my work and am not employed or paid by IAM so do I 'need' Business Use for observing? Other competitive quotes for SDP add £100+ to the premium if Business Use added.

Comments from other observers please?

You need to check the wording of *each* policy. Bennetts' policy booklet says,
"The following uses are not covered:
• dispatch, courier and messenger services, or food delivery
• racing, pace making or being in any contest or speed trial (road safety rallies and treasure hunts will be covered)
• riding on any race track or circuit or de-restricted toll roads or the Nürburgring Nordschleife
• trials (apart from where your bike is travelling on a road which the public has access to)
• hiring – letting out your bike for a sum of money.""

So, you are not hiring your bike and doing something very similar to a road safety rally, so would be covered, in my view as a layperson with some ability for English comprehension.

I would say yes. As you are carrying out an activity that is up and above normal use. Don't other companies offer free Business cover for observing, they do for Blood Biking, which also requires business use. I am still with IAM Surety, but most of the other companies I tried were offering free Business cover for Blood Biking, so would be surprised if Observing wasn't also included as no pay or expenses are received.

I would say yes. As you are carrying out an activity that is up and above normal use. Don't other companies offer free Business cover for observing, they do for Blood Biking, which also requires business use. I am still with IAM Surety, but most of the other companies I tried were offering free Business cover for Blood Biking, so would be surprised if Observing wasn't also included as no pay or expenses are received.

Unfortunately, some companies e.g. CN don't 'get' IAM observing for free as a concept. Thankfully Hastings Direct have just quoted me Business Use for £150 less for my 12gs than Cornmarket (IAM Surety) were doing. Although I don't think that I should need it I don't want to be in an argument or find I wasn't covered in the event of a claim.

So Cornmarket (IAM Surety as was) include Class 1 Business Use for IAM Observers. I only need SDP inc commuting for my work and am not employed or paid by IAM so do I 'need' Business Use for observing? Other competitive quotes for SDP add £100+ to the premium if Business Use added.

Suggest you log onto the IAM website, under "Observer Resources" you'll find a draft letter to forward to insurers/brokers to persuade them to offer observer cover FOC
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/my-dashboard/observer/observer-resources

Who on earth have you been phoning. I have class 1 business use on mine and there is only a few pounds difference. Its not as if I can use the bike in my job either just that it is a different base of work.

Other competitive quotes for SDP add £100+ to the premium if Business Use added.

OK, I'm not an observer but my last renewal for a GSA was £250 all-in fully comp including SDP+Business+Legal Protection. The difference adding business was certainly nowhere near £100 ! This was with Aviva through BMW/Devitt.

In the event that you needed to make a claim, would you tell the insurance company that you had been observing - or simply that you were out for a ride with a pal?

In the event that you needed to make a claim, would you tell the insurance company that you had been observing - or simply that you were out for a ride with a pal?

I think that there’s already a thread on insurance fraud.

Picture this.....you crash in to said ‘Pal’ and he is injured badly. His family want/need compensation because ‘Pal’ can’t work anymore to provide for said family......

They also cover skills days, which most insurers don't get, as they see it as a track day.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I think that there’s already a thread on insurance fraud.

Picture this.....you crash in to said ‘Pal’ and he is injured badly. His family want/need compensation because ‘Pal’ can’t work anymore to provide for said family......

Fair point ... but what is the difference between crashing into an associate and any other biker? The associate is clearly informed that he or she are riding their own ride and that they are responsible for all their decisions. I'm suggesting that as the observer has no control over the associate then the relationship between them is the same as between any two road users and as such the normal third party liability insurance will/should suffice

Fair point ... but what is the difference between crashing into an associate and any other biker? The associate is clearly informed that he or she are riding their own ride and that they are responsible for all their decisions. I'm suggesting that as the observer has no control over the associate then the relationship between them is the same as between any two road users and as such the normal third party liability insurance will/should suffice
Once, many years ago, saw an observer following associate out of car park, as ob did his mirror checks the associate did his moving brake test.

Ob crashed, bike had lots of cosmetic damage, day old arai destroyed, and a sore lesson learnt. No personal injuries and surity dealt with it quite well.

How a different broker would have handled it, who knows.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Once, many years ago, saw an observer following associate out of car park, as ob did his mirror checks the associate did his moving brake test.

Ob crashed, bike had lots of cosmetic damage, day old arai destroyed....

Who says comedy is dead?

You’re right, there is no difference. But my point is that when the shit hits the fan people go after what they can.
The scenario of ‘two mates out for a ride’ could well change pretty quickly if the worst happens and someone wants/needs financial compensation.

A few years ago when tutoring for ROSPA, they provided a standard letter for the insurers, went along the lines that its a voluntary unpaid road safety xxx and xx miles a year of my riding is undertaking this role. Submitted it 4 years on the trot (after getting quotes and selecting an insurer) and each insurer came back at no extra premium, confirming it was covered under the policy.

Would have thought IAM would have something simulator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago when tutoring for ROSPA, they provided a standard letter for the insurers, went along the lines that its a voluntary unpaid road safety xxx and xx miles a year of my riding is undertaking this role. Submitted it 4 years on the trot (after getting quotes and selecting an insurer) and each insurer came back at no extra premium, confirming it was covered under the policy.

Would have thought IAM would have something simulator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do. See post #5

Back
Top Bottom