Knock / clunk front forks

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just got myself a lovely 2009 RT and loving it so far. Just been out for first blast and its so nice..

Now this may just be normal but when you rolll the bike forward and jam on the brakes there is a strange clunk from the front. Had the bike up and nothing loosed at wheels or on any of the fittings for the forks. Any ideas what this could be?

When out on the bike it feels fine no issues just want to see if anyone has any thoughts??

Ta

Fork paint options

Hi folks,

So 2009 RT could do with a freshen up to front forks and the foot peg mounts the aluminium pieces. Any suggestions on a spray paint / lacquer option thats been used in the past.

Done it in the past on a honda and it came out well cant recall the paint i used..

Thanks
Mark

Hi folks,

Just got myself a lovely 2009 RT and loving it so far. Just been out for first blast and its so nice..

Now this may just be normal but when you rolll the bike forward and jam on the brakes there is a strange clunk from the front. Had the bike up and nothing loosed at wheels or on any of the fittings for the forks. Any ideas what this could be?

When out on the bike it feels fine no issues just want to see if anyone has any thoughts??

Ta
Quite possibly the brake pads moving a little in the calliper . I always grind a small amount off the ends of the pads for the brembo calipers on my GSA , it gives a small clunk back and forwards .

Hey bud
That’s quite normal and nothing to worry about.
I put my bike in for a service at a year old and when I got it back. Noticed the same.
Instantly said that’s the bmw garage and bike not right.
Phoned them up and the head mechanic sent me a video of the new rt they had in show room which did the same.
I felt a right:doris
He said not to worry it happens all the time.

Hey bud
That’s quite normal and nothing to worry about.
I put my bike in for a service at a year old and when I got it back. Noticed the same.
Instantly said that’s the bmw garage and bike not right.
Phoned them up and the head mechanic sent me a video of the new rt they had in show room which did the same.
I felt a right:doris
He said not to worry it happens all the time.

Good stuff, thanks for that..

Sounds pretty normal front brake pads.

However, you don't state the mileage - high milers could be showing the front bottom ball joint starting to fail. Difficult to assess on your own, with the tupperware in place, so maybe a buddy can sit on/weight the bike to compress the shock slightly, apply the front brake, rock the bike back & forth & then close your hand around the ball joint & feel for a clunk/movement. Part 13 here ........ http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...26-BMW-R_1200_RT_05_0368,0388_&diagId=31_0338

Sounds pretty normal front brake pads.

However, you don't state the mileage - high milers could be showing the front bottom ball joint starting to fail. Difficult to assess on your own, with the tupperware in place, so maybe a buddy can sit on/weight the bike to compress the shock slightly, apply the front brake, rock the bike back & forth & then close your hand around the ball joint & feel for a clunk/movement. Part 13 here ........ http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...26-BMW-R_1200_RT_05_0368,0388_&diagId=31_0338

Thanks Squibb, its 30K and i wil give that a try.

Given that a check and there doesn’t appear to be any movement around that ball joint seems nice and secure when moving with the weight on it rocking back and forth.

It could well be your floating discs too. The discs should float. but that 'float' should only be sideways movement. If you have rotational (radial) movement, you may need to take a closer look.
Let us know what you find.

I had the front of the bike stripped down today painting the forks, there is deffintly a slight knock it doesn’t feel like the lower ball joint but it’s really hard to tell, if it is very very slight. I would honestly say it sounds from higher up but that’s maybe just imagination.

So if it is the lower ball joint is this a diy task or is it pressed into the lower stem?

Do you need to pull the entire forks apart or can you get away with removing that centre piece where the ball joint attaches to the forks?

Cheers
Mark

IIRC it's a hot press job. BTW, you say you can detect no movement, but is the BJ rubber gaiter is intact?

Using the link in #7, it would be worth checking the upper bearing, trailing arm bearings & fork sliders for wear before getting involved with a BJ change.

Well, if it's not the brake pads/discs, not the lower BJ, then there just has to be movement/clunks coming from somewhere.

The top bearing seems most likely, but I guess it is it is just possible that the trailing arm fulcrum has play or the fork slider bushes are worn. Seems unusual though - let's face it, we all thought it would be the brake pads moving within the caliper.

Well, if it's not the brake pads/discs, not the lower BJ, then there just has to be movement/clunks coming from somewhere.

The top bearing seems most likely, but I guess it is it is just possible that the trailing arm fulcrum has play or the fork slider bushes are worn. Seems unusual though - let's face it, we all thought it would be the brake pads moving within the caliper.

Cheers for the thoughts, nah deffinelty not the pads as the noise is there when i had the wheel off and was moving the forks when on the table. Difficult to tell, think i might need to get someone to take a look.

Back
Top Bottom