Final drive fail.

CNC-REPAIRS.Co.UK

Reaction score
I know this has been covered hundreds of times I just can't find the answer I'm looking for! I've an oil leak from the disc side of the FD. I can also feel some play this has happened quickly over 329mile ride. As I'm short of time does anybody offer a rebuild service? I've removed the FD just need it sorting out! Many thanks people.

Mikey is at Overland & Classic Motorcycles near Melton Mowbray. He is the person to use - good value service and job well done for full rebuild. You can send the FD to him by post / courrier.

From your post is sounds as if the crown wheel bearing on wheel side may be the problem - hence the play, and the leak from that side. If that is being replaced, it makes sense to replace the offside bearing too. You should also check for any play in the pinion as this is a common issue that may not result in any noticeable symptoms initially. If there is any play, then you need to replace both pinion bearings before too long. It is worth having wheel and pinion bearings replaced together as it is better value and more efficient - depending on age and mileage I would just opt for the full rebuild tbh. Talk to Mikey about it to see what you need.

Mikeyboy everytime. There seemed to be a glut of them going at one point and most sent them to him and all were happy. If/ when mine goes again it will be going straight there.

Thanks for the replies. I have spoken to mikey what a knowledgeable chap. It's definitely where I would send it but on removal I have found the o ring on the speed sensor screwed. I've drained the oil and no sign of metal swarf and it hadn't really lost a lot and nothing on the magnet. I'm going to get it back together and try for play again as I think I was convincing myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 747
Ive a GSA 40k miles,There is a noise like metal spinning but does not change with speed and is more noticable around 40 mph.I initally thought front wheel bearings (because im finding it difficult to pinpoint the sound)so change these out rebalanced the front wheel but alas its still there.So what are my Inital checks to see if there is a problem with the FD.

If you can identify where the noise is coming from I am sure someone on here will have some ideas as to possible issues. Try spinning the wheels with bike on a stand.

For FD, check if there is any play in the rear wheel with hands at 12 and 6 oclock, and then with hands at 3 and 9 oclock.

So 140miles today hardly worth putting the gear on but! to report back no oil leak on final drive. So for now I'm happy ready for my 1600mile Scotland trip now!

Back
Top Bottom