Engine oil help / mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke2184

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tossers, I’ve replaced the oil & filter in my twin spark GS. I’ve just realised the oil I’ve put in might not be correct? I’ve put in Halfords semi synthetic 10/40 oil. I’ve noticed others are using 20/50. I’m not sure will I need to change my oil or is it safe to use the 10/40?

Tossers, I’ve replaced the oil & filter in my twin spark GS. I’ve just realised the oil I’ve put in might not be correct? I’ve put in Halfords semi synthetic 10/40 oil. I’ve noticed others are using 20/50. I’m not sure will I need to change my oil or is it safe to use the 10/40?

10w/40 will be fine, though you may find the bike a bit more rattle especially an start up, as it’s a thinner oil.

It was the original manufacturers spec. For your bike, before they changed the spec to 20w/50, which is more appropriate for this countries temperature range.

You will be fine unless you are going anywhere mega hot in the summer, or a mad heatwave arrives, then you might want to swap to 20w/50 otherwise as Ian says.

Used Chevron 10/40w fully syn. in my 1150 for around 60,000 without issue. Only switched to 15/40 Castrol GTX when Costco stopped selling the 10/40. As Ian says, engine sounds a bit rattly with the thinner oil.

Remember, you don't need motorcycle oil, as your bike has a dry clutch. I'd leave it until the next oil-change though.

Don't get caught in central London on a baking hot summer day in heavy traffic, engine sounded like it was about to explode. seeing 7 bars on the temp. gauge wasn't nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom