Best free GPS software for Android phone?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for advice on which is the best free GPS software for an Android phone?
This is for use when out of mobile signal range, so no data or internet coverage. No problem to download a map beforehand if required.
I would like to hear from someone who has actually used one of these apps and is happy with it?
Ta,
Bin

Just been doing some research in that area -

Waze is totally free, but needs an internet connection at all times to work - (they dropped offline maps some time though)

Then you have tom tom & co pilot however both want an annual sub £14 & £10 if i recall

when i get home and load up my other drioid device i will let you know

Google Maps - You can download maps but when you do have coverage you also get great conditions based routing

Google is good but you have to download certain parts for offline use, HERE downloads the whole of Europe onto a sdcard and no more thinking, PS Here is NOKIA......;)

Right, home now so can update

On my test android device i have

Waze
Navfree
Tom Tom Go
Co pilot GPS
Navigation
Sygic
Navigator
Igo

Waze - Free but requires always on data connection
Co Pilot £10.99 for 1 year
Tom Tom Go £4.99 PCM or £14.99 for a year (50 free miles per month)

Igo No maps seen to load- needs more ongoing work
Navfree Hangs at routing screen
Sygic Basic free - every option incurs a cost Real view nav £4.49 HUD etc
Navigator Free Cant get to route properly
Navigator Paid Uses TT maps £14.99
Navigation Google maps - cant get to load

Once my mounts arrive, i will get out to play with them in the real world

Right, home now so can update

On my test android device i have

Waze
Navfree
Tom Tom Go
Co pilot GPS
Navigation
Sygic
Navigator
Igo

Waze - Free but requires always on data connection
Co Pilot £10.99 for 1 year
Tom Tom Go £4.99 PCM or £14.99 for a year (50 free miles per month)

Igo No maps seen to load- needs more ongoing work
Navfree Hangs at routing screen
Sygic Basic free - every option incurs a cost Real view nav £4.49 HUD etc
Navigator Free Cant get to route properly
Navigator Paid Uses TT maps £14.99
Navigation Google maps - cant get to load

Once my mounts arrive, i will get out to play with them in the real world

Try post number 2 you will have a winner...........;)

Google Maps - You can download maps but when you do have coverage you also get great conditions based routing

This ^

I used to use copilot, but they are just really shit at updating.

Maps.me....download the maps you need and it works offline. Regular up-dates too. Handy for seeing where you are on a flight in flight mode too. Make sure the pilot is on track.

:agree

I also use OsmAnd and a combination of both can get you through most stuff :thumb2

Whats sort of coverage do you want on-road, off-road, voice direction , amount of detail?

I've been using Scout/Skobbler for a few years - it uses OSM which cost very little for a whole-world licence. It's easy to store the maps on the SD card of the phone so it works offline, and a map licence works across several devices. I tend to use it mostly for finding out where I am when being driven around or walking in an unfamiliar town or city.

https://www.skobbler.com/apps

Just used Offline Maps & Navigation (a variation on Sygic) for a weeks jaunt around the West Coast and it was brilliant. The graphic overlays don't impinge on screen real estate like most of the others and it just seemed to work. All roadworks and delays were up to date too. Can't complain for free.

Navmii works great on IOS and android, it can be run off line and only cost 79p to remove the add. There are several items that you can buy at an extra cost but I've never needed them.

It is handy to when on holiday and pre download the maps before you go.

I use tom tom go at £14.99 a year. Comes with all of Europe. Download the country as required. I like the speed camera and congestion alerts along with speed limit for the road you are on. You can also import gpx roures etc but a little fiddly. (Sygic seems to get good reviews)
As a back up I use Googlemaps. This provides far better traffic warning than tom tom but you need data.

Cannot see me ever going back to a dedicated satnav

Try post number 2 you will have a winner...........;)

You are correct.
I used Sygic for a while but its ability to plot the best route without toll roads is lacking, so went back to WeGo. Daft name though.

You are correct.
I used Sygic for a while but its ability to plot the best route without toll roads is lacking, so went back to WeGo. Daft name though.

Tis daft, but works brill, I tried them all, but came back to Here wego :beerjug: it just works and is so easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom