HelpPlease! Loss of low beam and side light on 2009 XCcountry

velo

Reaction score
Just failed an MOT because the low beam did not come on with the ignition. Fuse C, relay (which cuts the light on starting), bulb ok. Fiddling behind the head light just lost the parking light as well. So time to swallow pride and ask for advice. Local bike shop won't touch a BMW. Would a BMW dealer do any better? The rep rom just advises substitution of the left hand switch which does turn the high beam on but not low beam. I don't understand electrics this complex. Obviously! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sounds like you'll be getting up close and personal with a multimeter soon. :) Motorrad dealer should help, but is likely to charge a rather handsome hourly rate. Electrical problems really hard to estimate as it could take 10 minutes... or days.You can do a fair bit with a basic multimeter and basic understanding of electrical circuits.

Start checking the continuities and voltages. I've personally never seen an Xcountry in the flesh, but I have had plenty of experience of troubleshooting electrics an F650GS single, which I believe shares the same / very similar engine. If you've already checked the fuses and the load relay, next check for voltage at bulb connector, then check for a good earth (continuity). The cause of my issue ended up being a broken wire near the starter terminal. 650GS also had issues with the harness chafing against the frame next to the pre-load adjuster, and there was a recall for that.

Good luck!

Sounds like you'll be getting up close and personal with a multimeter soon. :) Motorrad dealer should help, but is likely to charge a rather handsome hourly rate. Electrical problems really hard to estimate as it could take 10 minutes... or days.You can do a fair bit with a basic multimeter and basic understanding of electrical circuits.

Start checking the continuities and voltages. I've personally never seen an Xcountry in the flesh, but I have had plenty of experience of troubleshooting electrics an F650GS single, which I believe shares the same / very similar engine. If you've already checked the fuses and the load relay, next check for voltage at bulb connector, then check for a good earth (continuity). The cause of my issue ended up being a broken wire near the starter terminal. 650GS also had issues with the harness chafing against the frame next to the pre-load adjuster, and there was a recall for that.

Good luck!
Thanks for the rapid reply. I've fitted a fresh battery in the multimeter- now just got to learn how to use it!

You are welcome. It is hard to help diagnose at distance... so this one is likely going to be all you. I hope it turns out to be the bulb holder or a short section of the wiring harness near the headlamp. (Sounds like it may well be the case as you managed to change the state by fiddling with the wires. [the fact that it changed to worse looks bad now but could well be a blessing. :) ]) Try the obvious first, flicking the light switch, turning the bars full lock left right / Check the ignition switch wiring / move the wires and see if anything changes again.

I am sure you'll get there with the multimeter... if it is red - should have 12V on it. If it is black, should beep when you connect it with battery minus . :) The only "curved ball" I found was the way the system on 650GS does the ground. IIRC, it ran the ground wire right to the positive connector on the starter. Thus when the starter is engaged, the lights would power off to reduce the load. This was accomplished by both sides of the circuit being energised (+12V from both sides and no ground). It is a bit hard to explain, I am sure I wrote it up on F650.co.uk ages ago. But don't bother with that until you've worked out the basics...
good luck.

If low beam playing up, then side light also when fiddling, are the block connectors okay (loose wire or corrosion)?

If low beam playing up, then side light also when fiddling, are the block connectors okay (loose wire or corrosion)?

Thanks for this suggestion. The REPROM shows how to deal with the block connectors. They all look ok of course but I'll see.

Just a closing update. Problem found quickly by local motorcycle mechanic. A broken wire I failed to find. At least I know that all the major components are sound. Thanks for all suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom