Got Shaft Rot.... again WTF

Any chance there may be a leak from the front boot?

Honestly don't know. The front boot appears to be well fitted and no obvious signs. However, it's got to be displaced for me to refit the shaft drive so I'll have another good look at it before I do that.

I'll get it out and look for holes.

In the meantime I've painted the other offending parts with Hamerite All-Metals Primer ready for painting.

Attachments

• Paint1.jpg
    Paint1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 680
  • Paint2.jpg
    Paint2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 677
  • Paint3.jpg
    Paint3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 675
Looks clean and tidy after your treatment :thumb

Perhaps, if possible, covering the inside of the swingarm with some talcum powder, any trace of water flow will easily be traced.

Looks clean and tidy after your treatment :thumb

Perhaps, if possible, covering the inside of the swingarm with some talcum powder, any trace of water flow will easily be traced.

Knowing the absolute lack of grease on the rear boot, I think water has been gushing through that, from the top.

Honestly don't know. The front boot appears to be well fitted and no obvious signs. However, it's got to be displaced for me to refit the shaft drive so I'll have another good look at it before I do that.

I'll get it out and look for holes.

In the meantime I've painted the other offending parts with Hamerite All-Metals Primer ready for painting.

Probably rust from the inside now..............:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

Thats the annoying part... there's no rust anywhere on my bike... except in the frickin swingarm :D

I’d rather have rust on the outside where I can see it. At least you know what’s going on. I wonder what the rest of the internals will be like.

I’d rather have rust on the outside where I can see it. At least you know what’s going on. I wonder what the rest of the internals will be like.

I already know as the bike is being stripped down this week, everywhere else is good. It's a very clean bike.

Attachments

• Cam1.jpg
    Cam1.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 642
  • Cam2.jpg
    Cam2.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 858
What does the gator look like, could it have been forced on wrongly.

Gator is in good condition, no holes. But there was no white lithium grease on it at all.

When I took the shaft out of the swing arm.... the paintwork is shite. Really thin and bubbling in places.

The swingarm was full of water !! :eek: about an inch deep with bits floating on the top :nenau

Looks like put hardly any grease where the gator fits so not surprised you got water in there. This is why I do my own maintenance

I already know as the bike is being stripped down this week, everywhere else is good. It's a very clean bike.

attachment.php

I just have to ask the question...
Showing the Cam Alignment Jig on the ends of the cams is for what purpose here???

The Cam Chain Tension Tool (83300444292) MUST be installed to properly tension the chain for the check with the alignment jig to mean anything.

In the top picture, the 17mm hex OEM oil pressure powered cam chain tensioner is seen just below the cam lobe closest to the chain drive sprocket...so the chain is in a slack condition and the alignment jig fitting on the ends of the cams does not show that the cams are in time...over the course of checking many bikes, if the cam alignment jig fits as in the pictures above, then when the chain tension tool, "292", is installed and tensioned to "3 clicks" it ALWAYS reveals that the cams are out of time and need to be moved.

Feel free to PM me so I can help you with this if you would like.

Sorry to be a "buttinsky" but it looked like you had confusion with the "B" end of the alternator rotor alignment use (or not to use it) and now the pics with only partial tools installed to properly put the valve train in position to check cam alignment.

Yes very clean bike considering no pressure wash!

Maybe don't blast it with your karcher from 6 inches & less water will get in.

attachment.php

I just have to ask the question...
Showing the Cam Alignment Jig on the ends of the cams is for what purpose here???

The Cam Chain Tension Tool (83300444292) MUST be installed to properly tension the chain for the check with the alignment jig to mean anything.

In the top picture, the 17mm hex OEM oil pressure powered cam chain tensioner is seen just below the cam lobe closest to the chain drive sprocket...so the chain is in a slack condition and the alignment jig fitting on the ends of the cams does not show that the cams are in time...over the course of checking many bikes, if the cam alignment jig fits as in the pictures above, then when the chain tension tool, "292", is installed and tensioned to "3 clicks" it ALWAYS reveals that the cams are out of time and need to be moved.

Feel free to PM me so I can help you with this if you would like.

Sorry to be a "buttinsky" but it looked like you had confusion with the "B" end of the alternator rotor alignment use (or not to use it) and now the pics with only partial tools installed to properly put the valve train in position to check cam alignment.

Haha, the purpose of those pictures was to show Nutty the internals were not rusty. That is all.

Yes you are correct that these pictures are using only partly installed tools. The reason being I was curious to whether the Alignment Jig would fit straight away once TDC was reached.... and it did, on both sides.

However, as you rightly said, as soon as you apply the Cam Chain Tensioner Tool, without the Alignment jig in place, it will then not reseat correctly. So the cam bolts have to be slackened for the Alignment jig to be refitted.

Thank you for your comments, always question everything on here as mistakes do happen, but these pics were from curiosity and were not part of the Cam Alignment Job.

I just found it strange that the Alignment Jig fitted immediately TDC was reached without Tensioner Tool on both sides from new.

That is all.

Looks like put hardly any grease where the gator fits so not surprised you got water in there. This is why I do my own maintenance

Yep, 100% agree.

It's almost like they WANT your bike to fail...

Back
Top Bottom