Got Shaft Rot.... again WTF

Boxflyer I doubt anyone would question your excellent help....................:thumb:thumb:thumb

I think collectively we'll all give him a Heart Attack by the end of Summer with our BMW tools rampage :D

.... Oh, and can I just thank Boxflyer once again for all his hard work on the video's as they are excellent and my bike is running sweeet. No rattles, revs nice. Happy days

Yep, 100% agree.

It's almost like they WANT your bike to fail...

Mine had quite a bit more than yours (from the factory) when I check it for the first time. Checked it about two weeks ago and spotless again but I had put lots of grease on the gator.

Mine had quite a bit more than yours (from the factory) when I check it for the first time. Checked it about two weeks ago and spotless again but I had put lots of grease on the gator.

I think also, I'm going to try and find a way to protect the rear gator when I'm washing it. To make sure water from hosepipe or wash-mitt isn't being forced into the gaps.

It's a precautionary measure which won't cost me anything but a bit of time and effort.

Normal riding use in the rain, I'm not overly bothered about as this won't ever stop me riding it. Rust or no rust.

EDIT: But then again, I really might not be bothered that much :D

I think also, I'm going to try and find a way to protect the rear gator when I'm washing it. To make sure water from hosepipe or wash-mitt isn't being forced into the gaps.

It's a precautionary measure which won't cost me anything but a bit of time and effort.

Normal riding use in the rain, I'm not overly bothered about as this won't ever stop me riding it. Rust or no rust.

EDIT: But then again, I really might not be bothered that much :D

I think you would be right just using a good amount of grease. It will seal it quite well

I think you would be right just using a good amount of grease. It will seal it quite well

Yes, lets hope so. No grease = water ingress 100% guaranteed and rust will follow....

The original stuff is really thick and doesn't easily come off.

Having had a shaft snap whilst filtering on on a rainy M25 one night it's worth the cost IMO as a preventative measure.

I did have one moment earlier today, when I was painting the shaft drive....

I wonder if these are precision balanced? Slap, slap, more paint..... Nah, it's a BMW.... Slap, slap, more paint....

So I hope they can cope with a bit of paint without altering the harmonics or balancing too much. :D

We shall see :D

I did have one moment earlier today, when I was painting the shaft drive....

I wonder if these are precision balanced? Slap, slap, more paint..... Nah, it's a BMW.... Slap, slap, more paint....

So I hope they can cope with a bit of paint without altering the harmonics or balancing too much. :D

We shall see :D

It,s a BMW it can handle anything thrown at it, mine just survived a service............:D

Greetings Warlord...sorry if I came across in a harsh manor, challenging what was going on with the photo of the nice clean innards of your cylinder head...my OCD kicks in quite often!

Anyway, don't feel alone with your plight to solve this issue with water/debris intrusion into the paralever arm and rusty splines. Here are the pictures from mine at the first 6k (miles) service. Yes, I ride in ALL conditions, and no, I almost never put a hose or sprayer of any kind to my bike...just use a household foamy spray cleaner and towels to wipe things down when I can't tell what color my bike is anymore! HaHa!

I'm not sure if you mentioned this earlier, but all of this Final Drive service and spline lube is covered in this service video Part 2/6 starting at about 13:56. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_1gPRA274
The information about the FD spills over into Part 3/6, and runs an additional 13+ minutes as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lHZPbSJ_s

I was really trying to coordinate a visit to your area to possibly put on a demonstration "WetHead Tech Day" this summer. My wife usually spends several weeks each summer attending adult continuing education programs at either Oxford or Cambridge and I thought I might "drop by" if invited. Things have changed for this year as we are going to be grandparents for the second time and my wife wants to be home to support/enjoy family time.

I had close to 200 layover days in Cambridge when I was actively flying and absolutely love your area. Just recently had my DNA tested to reveal my heritage is 83% from Great Britain...no wonder I like "mushy peas"!

IMG_1582-M.jpg

IMG_1565-M.jpg

IMG_1564-M.jpg

P.S.
This is why I don't put a hose to my bikes anymore...I had a "big bearing" failure on my '08 RT, and rebuilt the FD to replace this ring gear bearing. What a PITA this was! (but that's another story!)
IMG_2511%20%281%29-M.jpg

Greetings Warlord...sorry if I came across in a harsh manor, challenging what was going on with the photo of the nice clean innards of your cylinder head...my OCD kicks in quite often!

You didn't come across as harsh at all, I know you have good will and that's enough to get my attention so all good here. UKGS'er version of harsh is very different.

Anyway, don't feel alone with your plight to solve this issue with water/debris intrusion into the paralever arm and rusty splines. Here are the pictures from mine at the first 6k (miles) service. Yes, I ride in ALL conditions, and no, I almost never put a hose or sprayer of any kind to my bike...just use a household foamy spray cleaner and towels to wipe things down when I can't tell what color my bike is anymore! HaHa!

I'm not sure if you mentioned this earlier, but all of this Final Drive service and spline lube is covered in this service video Part 2/6 starting at about 13:56

Yes I've seen that video, another good one. To raise and lower the final drive on my own, I put a padded cloth onto a small flat-bed scissor jack. That enables some wiggle room while taking the Final Drive weight away.

I was really trying to coordinate a visit to your area to possibly put on a demonstration "WetHead Tech Day" this summer. My wife usually spends several weeks each summer attending adult continuing education programs at either Oxford or Cambridge and I thought I might "drop by" if invited. Things have changed for this year as we are going to be grandparents for the second time and my wife wants to be home to support/enjoy family time.

I had close to 200 layover days in Cambridge when I was actively flying and absolutely love your area. Just recently had my DNA tested to reveal my heritage is 83% from Great Britain...no wonder I like "mushy peas"!

When you come over to UK, will you have access to riding a bike?

HaHa...when I come over there I'd stay off of the roads "whilst" riding...I've been riding on the "wrong" side for so long, I'd be killed coming out of the first roundabout!

HaHa...when I come over there I'd stay off of the roads "whilst" riding...I've been riding on the "wrong" side for so long, I'd be killed coming out of the first roundabout!

You are not alone and I am from the UK..........:D:D:D living overseas for 33 years

That's a shame, there are some really good riding roads over here in Cotswolds, Evesham, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire. Keep you riding for weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom