F750GS - Installing after-market GPS

RichardD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Stupid question time...

I have seen quite a bit of online advice about using a specific cable to connect an aftermarket (Garmin) satnav/GPS to BMW bikes. The cable - available from Motorworks or Nippy Normans etc - connects directly into the BMW harness and provides an ignition-controlled live circuit.

The cable looks like this:

94902.jpg

My question is...

On the F750GS, where is the socket located - and what does it look like?

Hi Richard, my bike has the nav prep option so may be different but the cable from the nav mount runs up the headstock and joins a white connector under the screen and just inboard of the right indicator. This might be way you are looking for. Steve

Hi Richard, my bike has the nav prep option so may be different but the cable from the nav mount runs up the headstock and joins a white connector under the screen and just inboard of the right indicator. This might be way you are looking for. Steve

Thanks, Steve.

So, it's this one?

Looks like it - mine is white but the same shape and location but obviously with a lead connected.

Thanks again. I found a thread elsewhere (https://advrider.com/f/threads/f850gs-installing-garmin-montana-bmw-mount.1368996/) that explained how to remove a part of the cowling to really get at that connector.

In case anyone else needs to see it in future, this is what the plug/socket looks like:

Obviously, in the first picture, there is a cap in the plug. This is removed and replaced with the connector shown at the top of this thread.

Thanks again. I found a thread elsewhere (https://advrider.com/f/threads/f850gs-installing-garmin-montana-bmw-mount.1368996/) that explained how to remove a part of the cowling to really get at that connector.

In case anyone else needs to see it in future, this is what the plug/socket looks like:

Obviously, in the first picture, there is a cap in the plug. This is removed and replaced with the connector shown at the top of this thread.

How did you detach the plug/socket?

Is it possible to access and remove the plug/socket without removing the cowling do you think? :)

How does the blanking cap come off

Thanks, Steve.

So, it's this one?

Please could advise how the blanking cap come off this connection, tried pulling it but seems very tight

I'm trying to remove a nav-prep cradle from my 2018 F850GS and the power connector won't budge. Looking at the photos above I wonder if someone has taken the connector off then fitted it AAF as mine has the bike wiring going to the left of the connector whereas the photos above show it on the right, which matches the cable guide moulded into the bike. Has anyone any experience of parting the connector, which should be straightforward. I can't see any locking tabs on the bike or on the connector I actually want to plug in once the BMW cradle is gone.

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_162118688.jpg
    IMG_20230214_162118688.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 200
Copied from the 850GS Forum

This YouTube video shows the installation of a relocation bracket to move the nav above the TFT. It includes removing and unplugging the nav cradle. It actually comes off quite easily if you know the proper way to do it. I'd recommend watching the whole thing as it gives excellent instructions on disassembling everything it takes to get to the plug. If all you want to see is how the plug comes off, that is at about 11 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCLBVBDoZxk

Hope this helps

Mike

Copied from the 850GS Forum

This YouTube video shows the installation of a relocation bracket to move the nav above the TFT. It includes removing and unplugging the nav cradle. It actually comes off quite easily if you know the proper way to do it. I'd recommend watching the whole thing as it gives excellent instructions on disassembling everything it takes to get to the plug. If all you want to see is how the plug comes off, that is at about 11 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCLBVBDoZxk

Hope this helps

Mike

It very definitely did. Once the indicator panel was off there was room to get in at the connector without struggling. It looks like whoever fitted the nav prep slid the connector the wrong way into its' guide as it was jammed against a headlight mount. Now I need to decide which Zumo to fit and where to hide the cables.

It very definitely did. Once the indicator panel was off there was room to get in at the connector without struggling. It looks like whoever fitted the nav prep slid the connector the wrong way into its' guide as it was jammed against a headlight mount. Now I need to decide which Zumo to fit and where to hide the cables.

To hide the cables I cut an old bike inner tube up, put the spare cable in that and seal the ends with tie wraps. Then remove the plastic plate from the underneath of the forks (semi circle in shape.), you will find some cables behind that to fasten your cable to and replace the plate. Hid out of the way and protected from the weather.

To hide the cables I cut an old bike inner tube up, put the spare cable in that and seal the ends with tie wraps. Then remove the plastic plate from the underneath of the forks (semi circle in shape.), you will find some cables behind that to fasten your cable to and replace the plate. Hid out of the way and protected from the weather.

That looks seriously helpful. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom