BMW alarm system and datatool tracker - Battery drain

damodici

Reaction score
So I picked up my new (570 mile) S1000xr 10 days ago exactly, Now I'm not going to lie, but it's been sat in the garage ever since awaiting some parts and for decent weather whilst I'm not working.

Anyway yesterday I came to start the bike and it was completely dead in just 9 days

I spoke to the dealer (Cotswold who were amazing with the sale BTW) and we decided to see how it fairs by leaving on a battery trickle charge for a day or so. I'll then leave it off charge for a similar time to see if it dies again. If it does I guess they'll replace the battery.

Two accessories were fitted to the bike by the previous owner, the Alarm and Tracker

The reason for the post is to see if anyone else has had issues with the 'official' BMW optional alarm (auto arms when removing key)?

Also the bike has a Datatool tracker fitted, it's not registered / subscribed but I presume it's lurking around in the frame hidden somewhere also sucking power when left idle.

I guess it could be a 'dodgy' battery, but I'm curious to know if the two products fitted would cause this issue whatever battery I have fitted, because if so I'd rather them removed as it's not worth the hassle.

Cheers

I have a k16 and the battery goes flat if I leave it on for a week or so. If I leave it on trickle charge it’s ok. It’s always done this.

Have the FFA on my GSA... can't leave it without a trickle charge, or its flat. Get an optimate, recondition the battery for 24 hrs, bet you will be fine, if not new battery, then put it on optimate every time to keep in top condition.

The alarm fitted to my GS actually states it will disarm after 10 days of non use, to protect the battery

Which battery though it dosent say lol

I'm guessing the main bike battery

Have the FFA on my GSA... can't leave it without a trickle charge, or its flat. Get an optimate, recondition the battery for 24 hrs, bet you will be fine, if not new battery, then put it on optimate every time to keep in top condition.

I have a k16 and the battery goes flat if I leave it on for a week or so. If I leave it on trickle charge it’s ok. It’s always done this.

The alarm fitted to my GS actually states it will disarm after 10 days of non use, to protect the battery

Which battery though it dosent say lol

I'm guessing the main bike battery

Thanks chaps.

So would it more likely be the alarm causing this, even if I tried having the tracker removed the alarm is still just as likely to kill batteries?

Back
Top Bottom