Africa twin vs ktm 950/990/1190

jojitsu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Who's had an africa twin as well as one of the above ktm's?

As I get closer to the end of the pcp deal I'm trying to decide what direction I should go.. I really like the AT DCT but the 1190 has always cought my eye and I have kinda fancied one for a few years.. I rode one briefly a couple of years ago when I had my bmw R1200GS LC and thought it was a weapon, fantastic and thrilling engine and ride, but it was only a 10 minute blast. I think it's probably a more thrilling and desirable bike than the AT but at a similar cost for a decent used example..

The ktm 950/990 adventure I imagine is very similar to the AT in terms of power/handling and all round ability etc but I'd be more likely to use one off road due to it already being fairly old and not in mint condition like my AT, and could possibly buy one for half the price of the AT.. I used to have a ktm 950SM so I am familiar with the engine..

I don't want it to sound like I'm not a fan of my AT, because I really do love riding it, even though its probably the least powerful bike I've had since I passed my bike test over 20 years ago..

I'd appreciate your thoughts and experience.. Ta

I had a KTM 950 Adv S in 2004.I then had a 950 Super Enduro from 2007 for a decade.I had the AT DCT in 2016 then got a KTM 1290R in 2017.I sold the 1290R in favour of an ATAS DCT last year. I also now have a KTM 790R.

If you have the original DCT from 2016 then the latest version with auto blipper is much much better.

I can’t really help you as we are all different but I prefer the ATAS to the 1290.But the 790 is a VERY good bike too and has amazing balance with the fuel held low in ‘pannier tanks’.
The 790 is a cracking power plant too.Try one !

6a5df7657aa061bb700d5d2433a17f83.jpg

I had a KTM 950 Adv S in 2004.I then had a 950 Super Enduro from 2007 for a decade.I had the AT DCT in 2016 then got a KTM 1290R in 2017.I sold the 1290R in favour of an ATAS DCT last year. I also now have a KTM 790R.

If you have the original DCT from 2016 then the latest version with auto blipper is much much better.

I can’t really help you as we are all different but I prefer the ATAS to the 1290.But the 790 is a VERY good bike too and has amazing balance with the fuel held low in ‘pannier tanks’.
The 790 is a cracking power plant too.Try one !

6a5df7657aa061bb700d5d2433a17f83.jpg

I have read everything there is to read about the 790 and it looks superb, but I'm getting to the stage where I have sold so many superb bikes before I have had enough use out of them and consequently lost too much cash cashing the latest and greatest, where in reality the bikes I had years ago would still be extremely capable now (R1, 929 fireblade, 10R ninja, 950SM etc).. I would quite like to buy something that is fast enough to be thrilling, a capable all-rounder and something that won't deprecate at a crazy rate..

Honestly, how much of an improvement is your 790 over your AT in terms of power, rideability, enjoyment etc, and is your AT really much of an improvement over the (probably 15 year old) 950.

Thanks.

I have read everything there is to read about the 790 and it looks superb, but I'm getting to the stage where I have sold so many superb bikes before I have had enough use out of them and consequently lost too much cash cashing the latest and greatest, where in reality the bikes I had years ago would still be extremely capable now (R1, 929 fireblade, 10R ninja, 950SM etc).. I would quite like to buy something that is fast enough to be thrilling, a capable all-rounder and something that won't deprecate at a crazy rate..

Honestly, how much of an improvement is your 790 over your AT in terms of power, rideability, enjoyment etc, and is your AT really much of an improvement over the (probably 15 year old) 950.

Thanks.

The 790 isn’t necessarily a better bike than the ATAS. It’s different . I like them both . And the 950SE was the best bike I ever had .

Interesting.. So why not buy another?

I've had two 990 Adventures - superb. I rode from Ushuaia to Alaska on one of them two up. 56,000 miles in a year. Flawless. I traded for an 1190R and loved this too. The service intervals were double that of the 990 and that was the attraction (as well as the 148 bhp).

I didn't like it two up.

I now have the Africa twin Adventure Sports DCT.

I like this the best.

The 990 is the best when off-road (gravel roads)

Buy the 950/990 use it off-road and scratch that itch.

After a year you can keep it if you're living it, or buy a new bike having lost little on the KTM.

I've had two 990 Adventures - superb. I rode from Ushuaia to Alaska on one of them two up. 56,000 miles in a year. Flawless. I traded for an 1190R and loved this too. The service intervals were double that of the 990 and that was the attraction (as well as the 148 bhp).

I didn't like it two up.

I now have the Africa twin Adventure Sports DCT.

I like this the best.

The 990 is the best when off-road (gravel roads)

Do you you mind expanding a bit on why you like the AT more than the ktm's?
Cheers

Do you you mind expanding a bit on why you like the AT more than the ktm's?
Cheers

Comparing with the 990. I had two - the last one was the 2013. The engine on the ATAS is much smoother at low speed. The wind protection is better. The ATAS suspension is more comfortable on the road even though I had it set up for our weights by FTR. The service intervals are only 4,500 miles on the 990. I like the DCT on the Honda.

The dealer loaned me a 1190 R during the 990 service. Engine is fabulous, smooth and powerful at any speed. Service intervals are 9000 miles; much better. Not very comfortable two up touring. Suspension was not good two up with luggage. I ended up buying one and we did 15,000 miles on it.

Great bike if one up.

ATAS is nowhere near as powerful but is more economical as you would expect. It is more comfortable and the wind protection is better.

I would be happy with any of the three bikes but the ATAS edges it for me and is a current model.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom