BMW insurance

Once again.

How many reports are there of bods complaining that their theft claim has not been covered, due to the application of this clause? I’d suggest that out of the very many theft claims and complaints, the answer is all but zero.

To be applied, an exclusion or pre-condition has to be both legal and reasonable. The exclusion / pre-condition is legal but is it, in relation as to how the theft occurred, reasonable? It is easy to argue that a bod who has no garage (but has declared that he has and that he uses it) who then has a theft claim from his home drive declined, has been treated reasonably. However, a bod who has a garage, who then leaves his bike on the drive whilst he packs it, when it is then stolen is then (arguably) treated unreasonably if the claim is subsequently declined.

So, I’ll ask you once again. How many claims have been declined through the successful application of the condition?

I have no idea how many claims have been declined. Just as you have no idea how many have been paid.

What I do know is the clause is in black and white. This is not myth, assumption, hearsay or best guess.

I specifically asked the question to my broker who records telephone conversations. Consequently it was confirmed at time of purchase. Bit difficult to claim unfair at that point particularly as it is listed clearly on said policy

Hope never to find out one way or the other. Safest and most sensible option is to not to buy a policy with the clause in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The endorsement is there to potentially penalise bods who:

1. Lie that they have a garage

2. Decide that cannot be arsed to put their bike into the garage, leaving it on their drive or wherever as it’s easier in their busy biker world

There is no reliable evidence that anyone has ever had a claim declined due to a breach of the condition. If it was a regular occurence, MCN and UKGSer would be full of it. They are not.

Yes u r correct. However when I specifically asked the broker if I left my bike on the drive while cleaning to go to the toilet or answer the phone would they pay out for theft and was told categorically that my bike is not covered for theft if my bike is left unattended.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Your mistake was asking the chimp in the call centre anything.

Back
Top Bottom