BMW insurance

turpin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
That time of year again to once again find who can do the best deal.

So visits to the various comparison sites and it wasn't until I used Moneysupermarket that BMW insurance came up as one of the top 10.

So after various calls to the likes of Bennetts, CN, Hastings, Bemoto, MCE and others and after reading the small print BMW came out tops for me @ £138.00 fully comp, legal aid and protected no claims.

Devitt are still involved, with AXA Insurance being the underwriters.

Great that you got a deal you are happy with

Good that you mention the insurer (AXA) who have a good reputation

So many insurance posts on here mention the price, and the broker {Bennetts, CN, Bemoto, MCE etc) with no apparent interest in who the insurer is - perhaps forgetting that it is the insurer that ultimately pays the claim!

Great that you got a deal you are happy with

Good that you mention the insurer (AXA) who have a good reputation

So many insurance posts on here mention the price, and the broker {Bennetts, CN, Bemoto, MCE etc) with no apparent interest in who the insurer is - perhaps forgetting that it is the insurer that ultimately pays the claim!

Yes happy indeed, I was with them for many years but their prices got silly about 3 years ago. If my memory is right I think that the underwriters then were Allianz though I could be wrong? I was reading the small print for either bemoto or MCE when I noticed that the bike would not be covered for theft from my garage if it wasn't attached to a ground anchor and approved chain so it pays to read the small print very carefully, otherwise you will get caught out.

However next year could be completely different;)

I see they are advertising in the BMW club mag, offering to be competitive for BMW club members - I will try them at Renewal...Thanks for the reminder

I was really enthusiastic to try them when I spotted their advert in a mag but very disappointed to find that they were well over twice the cost of the best comparable quotation. I guess each insurer has their 'most attractive prospective customer' and there are also so many variables that we just have to endure the pain of 'doing the rounds'. I spent a day and a half getting quotations which wasn't that many to be honest.

Just a little off topic, I joined the BMW club because of an offer on P&O ferries, - they offer a discount of 10%. As I use the Hull/Rotterdam crossing, 4-5 times a year with both car & bike, this offer would save me a lot and more than pay for my membership fee. Wrong. The first time I tried to use it the code was rejected by P&O. I chased it up through the club, - they chased it up with P&O to be told that it only applies to Dover/Calais crossings. Fair do's to the club, they didn't know themselves.

So what was the magical algorythm that produced that figure

We need to know so we can bash them next renewal ;)

I spend between £1000 & £1500 a year on that crossing. I'm sure you can work out 10% of that. Club membership is about £30 (I think)

We all should refuse to buy insurance if the small print says bike cannot be left on drive for 30 seconds or more. Maybe when they lose business they will get the message

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We all should refuse to buy insurance if the small print says bike cannot be left on drive for 30 seconds or more. Maybe when they lose business they will get the message

I had the same exclusion when I first joined Hastings. Always irritated me so at renewal I called them and negotiated the price down, which they were happy to do. I then mentioned to the rather delightful sounding call handler about my irritation and she said she would try to help:D
Off she pops to speak to the underwriter and 2 minutes later came back saying they would remove that clause for me. Got an email a few mins later confirming. Worth giving the insurer a call.

I had the same exclusion when I first joined Hastings. Always irritated me so at renewal I called them and negotiated the price down, which they were happy to do. I then mentioned to the rather delightful sounding call handler about my irritation and she said she would try to help:D
Off she pops to speak to the underwriter and 2 minutes later came back saying they would remove that clause for me. Got an email a few mins later confirming. Worth giving the insurer a call.

Cn did the same on my new policy, the endorsement was there when the policy came through by email, despite not having been discussed, quick call to them had it removed after discussion presumably, with the ins co.
I don’t think that it’s a tactic to avoid payouts but the cynic in me sees it as a creeping and insidious move towards ever more draconian conditions to comply with to ensure safe bike ownership. They should be called out on it at every opportunity unless you have requested that condition

The endorsement is there to potentially penalise bods who:

1. Lie that they have a garage

2. Decide that cannot be arsed to put their bike into the garage, leaving it on their drive or wherever as it’s easier in their busy biker world

There is no reliable evidence that anyone has ever had a claim declined due to a breach of the condition. If it was a regular occurence, MCN and UKGSer would be full of it. They are not.

Yes u r correct. However when I specifically asked the broker if I left my bike on the drive while cleaning to go to the toilet or answer the phone would they pay out for theft and was told categorically that my bike is not covered for theft if my bike is left unattended.

Just did the annual malarkey for the XR. Over a week tried various things, including an attempt to ring the renewals dept. at Hastings. Recorded message says, we might be arsed to speak in an hour or so, so gave up on that after trying twice. Emailed them to say, "goodbye."

Best price came, as predicted by Martin Lewis, 21 days before the renewal date https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/01-08-2018

I used Moneysupermarket's comparison thing, this led to an Axa policy sold by OneCall. "Only" £450 excess (some wanted 600 or more on the XR). £115 full comp. No mods (well it has a HP seat but I bought the bike used so how am I to know it was not factory fitted?)

Garage endorsement is sensible. If the bike is at home and not in the garage by 10pm then if there is a claim, the excess increases by £250. I like Axa, they are French and have sensible rules for motorcycles.

Aviva were the worst with a near £800 quote.

Yes u r correct. However when I specifically asked the broker if I left my bike on the drive while cleaning to go to the toilet or answer the phone would they pay out for theft and was told categorically that my bike is not covered for theft if my bike is left unattended.

Mine originally said within 200 metres of my house if left unattended, unless garaged.

Not stolen off their drive with that clause in place. Suggest you add 2 plus 2

Once again, is the campaigning bikers’ moan sheet, MCN or UKGSer littered with “Me insurance wont pay cos I left me steed in me yard coz I want ed a brew and a waz” followed by many others chiming in with “That is well shit and its well often”?

Wapping you are intelligent man so I am led to believe! The clause is in black and white listed as an exclusion.

No different to other stated exclusions. Insurance companies will quote listed exclusions to not pay out or reduce payments.

I understand u work in insurance?

You will know this to be fact

Back
Top Bottom