How do I move a route from Kurviger to Garmin

Thanks for that Wapping and you are right, this is exactly what happens with group riding. fortunately when we have a group we use the second man drop off so one turns with out being seen normally.

one issue with Myroute is that it does not show the waypoints when imported as a track. ( is that how it should be ? ) . So the track has a start and finish point exactly as planned along the roads we want to ride. Myroute app recommends turning off the automatic recalculation mode when using their app. So.......if we are riding through the black forest and the road is closed or for some reason we need a diversion, it becomes abit of a panic.

What I have tried that works "ok ", is to write the map in Myroute save as a track then drag n drop the file into basecamp. this brings up a map with straight red lines , ( the route ) way point to way point,but also a black line highlighting the track. I then hold the alt key on the Mac and drag the straight red lines to the black track marked roads.this drags the red route lines into the black track lines . its done it ok so far on a test ride of local roads, but feel abit insecure trying it when we heard to Italy in July.

So going back to what you are saying, in a basecamp map which just has the straight red lines from way point to way point, this would load to the Nav 6 drawn as that , but would follow its own route to get from way point to waypoint ? I have seen quite a few times this image on the nav when uploaded but just deleted it and never tried it...time to ride and try .....and thank you for the response .

I don’t use the MyRoute-app to create routes, so I don’t know if it should bring the waypoints or not.

The way you are dragging the red (magenta) line of the route, to line up with the line black track, sounds right. You could though simply ask your Mac to change the track into a route and see what happens.

To answer your last question. I think what would happen is that your device would try to recalculate the straight lines into a route, as best it could and matching your preferences. If the straight line matched the only road between A and B, it would probably take that road. If there were several it would probably select the one that matched your preferences most closely.

One of the reasons why I don’t use third party apps like MyRoute is that they can bring problems or uncertainties, just as you described. I do everything in BaseCamp, so I can at least try to reduce the chances of a glitch coming into the whole affair.

That being said, I will use Kurviger and do download routes / tracks from third parties. Sometimes I have no idea how the third party created the route or track or what software they used. So, I will always try to check it carefully in BaseCamp first, before using it. I find BaseCamp on a Mac pretty easy; other people don’t or won’t. It’s why they call them Personal computers.

one issue with Myroute is that it does not show the waypoints when imported as a track. ( is that how it should be ? ) . So the track has a start and finish point exactly as planned along the roads we want to ride. Myroute app recommends turning off the automatic recalculation mode when using their app. So.......if we are riding through the black forest and the road is closed or for some reason we need a diversion, it becomes abit of a panic.

The same happens with Kurviger if you export the route directly (not as a track as explained here).

I’m in Spain at the moment and spent a few hours swearing at the zumo yesterday as it recalculated the route I had straight through the motorway as soon as I got off track by 50 meters :)

The routes I’ve done manually (route tool line/points) seem ok, but had to add waypoints to all kurviger’s route has they have no way/via points at all.

It is a learning process (for me).

I don’t use the MyRoute-app to create routes, so I don’t know if it should bring the waypoints or not.

The way you are dragging the red (magenta) line of the route, to line up with the line black track, sounds right. You could though simply ask your Mac to change the track into a route and see what happens.

To answer your last question. I think what would happen is that your device would try to recalculate the straight lines into a route, as best it could and matching your preferences. If the straight line matched the only road between A and B, it would probably take that road. If there were several it would probably select the one that matched your preferences most closely.

One of the reasons why I don’t use third party apps like MyRoute is that they can bring problems or uncertainties, just as you described. I do everything in BaseCamp, so I can at least try to reduce the chances of a glitch coming into the whole affair.

That being said, I will use Kurviger and do download routes / tracks from third parties. Sometimes I have no idea how the third party created the route or track or what software they used. So, I will always try to check it carefully in BaseCamp first, before using it. I find BaseCamp on a Mac pretty easy; other people don’t or won’t. It’s why they call them Personal computers.

That’s great many thanks

As always, it’s more a matter of how and why people want to use their GPS devices.

Some, like me, want to plot their own routes from A to D, via B and C. Though I am not beyond using third party sourced routes, too. For my purposes, BaseCamp and / or Mapsource work perfectly well. Similarly, all my Garmin / BMW branded GPS devices have worked pretty well too, once I understood them. That understanding took effort, often through making mistakes and through finding out why something happened. This forum and the internet has been useful in helping that learning process along.

Others, do not want to do any plotting at all. They just want to ask their GPS device to take them from A to D (maybe via B and C) and are not fussed how it does it, providing it does not take them along motorways, or into the middle of towns that they have chosen and (sometimes) providing it does not route them along a goat track that you wouldn’t take a horse along. These people do not need BaseCamp, Mapsource or any other route plotting software. They don’t even need a home computer, other than to maybe update a map. Now that some devices allow for wireless updating and the transfer of routes via Bluetooth, their need for a PC is almost reduced to zero.

Somewhere between the two float the people who want to plot their own routes but outside of Garmin’s generic two route plotting pieces of software, Mapsource and BaseCamp. It’s often them that struggle most, encountering the glitches and foibles that come from mixing two or more different systems together.

Into this happy mixture lob, preference settings, route avoidances, detours, automatic recalculation, road closures, petrol stations that are shown on a map but have gone, roads that are not shown on the map, prompted recalculation and no recalculation, waypoints and shaping points, the sun shining on the screen and mates who say “YOU are going wrong, as MY device says....” and you have an unholy mess.

Then, right on the outside are those that refuse to learn how their expensive and now very powerful GPS devices work, so used are they to plug and play. That they’ll not have a map as a back-up and not the slightest idea of where they are, how they got there or where they are going, is just a bonus. But nobody really cares about them.

I’m gonna try plotting a route in kurviger and slapping it straight into the Garmin. Bollocks to Basecamp.

Wish me luck! :D

You might need it. Kurviger is great but even if you have selected avoid "unpaved" in it and again in BC after transfer, you may still find yourself on the muddy and rocky. BC talks to Garmin better than any other route planner but is still not infallible. Once you have the route in BC you can right click on it and ask it to "play" the route for you. You can adjust the speed of the play, so it doesn't take long, but it allows you to check you will stay on the metal. Of course, you may like to be surprised.....

As an update.

I am finding it - using a Mac and BaseCamp - much more reliable to import a route from Kurviger as a track, rather than as a fully formed route.

I then trace over the track with the conventional route tool, amending the route as and when I feel like it.

as above i find this the most reliable way of doing it, download as a track and if and only if it is correct and goes exactly where you wish it to go (find out by zooming in and checking for errors or mistakes) then convert to route, if incorrect or in need of amending to suit, as wapping has said trace over the bit or parts you require and jobs a fish.

as above i find this the most reliable way of doing it, download as a track and if and only if it is correct and goes exactly where you wish it to go (find out by zooming in and checking for errors or mistakes) then convert to route, if incorrect or in need of amending to suit, as wapping has said trace over the bit or parts you require and jobs a fish.

If proof were ever needed that Lee’s advice is correct, see this post from another thread in the Travel section:

Thank you.

The route / track opens pretty neatly in the Scenic app on a iPad.

It does though show the possible danger of letting a third party piece of software (in this case Scenic) convert a gpx route, as it may well do it according to its preferences.

Here you can see an example. The gpx track is the dotted blue line. The pink or magenta line, is Scenic’s version of it. Scenic has a default setting of ‘curvy’ so it will take every opportunity to take the rider down roads that its algorithms tell it are ‘curvy’, just for the sake of it. If the rider didn’t check what Scenic offered up, then he’d probably end each day cursing his Garmin (which did nothing wrong at all) or his phone and its Scenic app. In short, check and check again.

206dbf9c47060f3b9d1f668fe4d54e05.png

ec4a6f3266ea32a635d04ee3a82ea2a4.png

You can get pretty much the same ‘Let’s go curvy for the sake of it’ phenomenon if you blindly accept and follow a route created in Scenic’s sister app, Kurviger. If in doubt check, which is best done in BaseCamp or Mapsource.

Back
Top Bottom