Turkey

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I'm watching the cycling Tour of Turkey on telly. The roads and scenery in the bit of Turkey north of the Sea of Marmara (what I would call European Turkey) looks stunning.

It's a fair old trek to get there, but has anyone toured in this area? Is it as nice as it looks on TV?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wcze7EGorOk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We went to Turkey (Istanbul) on the Turkey Trot. Calais > Milan > Ancona > Ferry to Greece > Gallipoli > Along the bottom (not literally) of Sea of Marmara (Marmite) > Across the Sea of Marmite > Asian part of Istanbul > Across the Bosporus > European Istanbul.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/141208-The-Turkey-Trot-A-Ride-Report

As it was the Trot we went there and back from London in a week and a bit. Giants we were, giants! And giants we shall remain.

PS If you’d like to read a good book as to how the largest and greatest city in Christendom fell in 1453 to the Ottomans, I’d recommend http://www.rogercrowley.co.uk/constantinople.htm

Been loads.... great country, great people, great food, shit driving...

Been loads.... great country, great people, great food, shit driving...

Yup. Went there last year and that area is lovely but the driving standards are sheite...going back this year and will probably ride down to Cappadoccia this time.

If I can do it from north east Scotland you can certainly do it from Kent :D

Been shown Turkey by the Turks many times ... wonderful place. Just seems that all the roads are covered in a talcum powder kinda dust :D

Contact the One More Mile Riders, Istanbul for lots of info and help.

You should go :thumb

:beerjug:

According to a couple of bikemates who did the trip a few years back......... scenery stunning, driving dreadful, roads often like ice when wet, Greek border crossing a PITA.

Given that the return journey is a week lost, you may find it easier to fly in & rent a bike locally. I'm not recommending these guys, but just pulled out this link from Google as an example ........ https://www.motoroads.com/motorcycle-rentals-istanbul-motorbike-hire-turkey.aspx That NC750 looks cheap/reliable enough for solo use, if a tad boring.

According to a couple of bikemates who did the trip a few years back......... scenery stunning, driving dreadful, roads often like ice when wet, Greek border crossing a PITA.

Jockser and I crossed from Bulgaria into Turkey and returned three weeks later without any problems. But there again we weren't travelling on British passports.......

Yup. Went there last year and that area is lovely but the driving standards are sheite...going back this year and will probably ride down to Cappadoccia this time.

Cappadocia is beautiful and well worth a visit, but the hot air balloon ride at dawn for the special price of €120 each (four years ago) seemed to be a tad overpriced.

I had tentative plans to go to Turkey when I had the misfortune to get a hole in the radiator of my old 1190 Adventure just before the border between Hungary and Romania so took the easy option and went to Lithuania instead :blast

Well I had to ride in a country that I’d never ridden in before and Lithuania was closer than Turkey :D

Jockser and I crossed from Bulgaria into Turkey and returned three weeks later without any problems. But there again we weren't travelling on British passports.......

Cappadocia is beautiful and well worth a visit, but the hot air balloon ride at dawn for the special price of €120 each (four years ago) seemed to be a tad overpriced.

Also crossed from Bulgaria but via Greece and the small border at Kipi to avoid Edirne..smooth and quick even with a British passport.

The transition from Turkey back to Greece ( Bodrum to Kos ) was more drawn out and we had to get the panniers emptied and everything was x-rayed..a stunning young customs girl 'confiscated' my large Cudeman camping knife and then spent the next hour openly carrying it around and stroking it suggestively :blast.

The ferry captain gave me the knife back when we moored on Kos :D

Won't be doing the balloon trip..

Back
Top Bottom