1090 test ride

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took a 1090 Adventure for a test ride today from Premier Bikes, Oxford.
I had been lured by their price of a new 1090 18 model at £9,250.

The 1090 felt small and very light compared to my Crosstourer ! Very responsive engine.

Don't think it's for me at the moment though.

Good dealer though - very helpful & I could do business with them in the future.

Try the 1290 - you WILL want one of those!

Almost exactly the same size and weight, but with twice the low down torque, plus all the latest toys (Cruise, TFT, Semi-active suspension etc)

I owned a 1090 and currently have the 1190 and 1290 and although the 1090 is a great bike for the money, the 1190 and 1290 both put a much larger grin on my face, I would take the 1090 over a V-Strom or Versys etc. But the 1290 is just so much more, I could of had a Multistrada, GS, or any other bike and chose the 1290.....

..Premier still had a few leftover 2018 models at a good price last time I popped in.

I'm looking into 1190's or maybe 1090's.. Is there an issue with high speed wobbles?

Well I went for a 1090R bought from Premier to replace my S1000XR. I wanted manual suspension only (tried semi-active before and not keen on it), am quite happy with just normal clocks/dash and I don't need 150hp. In fact I though the balance of power, weight and steering was just right your me for back lane and B-road fun. I may try a few off road lanes on it, but since I also bought 690Enduro and have a FE350 too, I reckon it will stay mostly on the road.

Got a great deal as they're the last of the line and they want to shift them, so you get a hell of a lot of bike for your money. Will add a few bits and bobs over time, but right now just want to get the running in but over with! Early days but so far I'm very impressed!

Hope you manage to find one to enjoy :beerjug:

I'm looking into 1190's or maybe 1090's.. Is there an issue with high speed wobbles?

Not that I know of - some folk say the wobble fully loaded at high speed, but had my 1190 with huge panniers fully loaded at about 115 on the Autobahn, in Comfort mode it weaved a bit, but changed to Street mode and it went away, many bikes wobble a bit at high speed when heavily loaded - but if you want to cruise at 125 mph with luggage your looking at the wrong genre of bike!

Both bikes are great, but the 1190 engine is much stronger than the extra 100cc / 25 BHP may suggest, the way the power builds is highly addictive, the 1090 is still good, and probably as good or better than the competition (V-Strom 1000 / Versys / Tiger 800 / GS 850) but if you're a power / adrenaline junkie go for the 1190!

IMO the 1090S handles a bit better, the forks have better damping, the 1190 is a bit soft up front, but does absorb bumps real well, but for thrashing through the curves I loved the 1090, the steering may also be a bit sweeter due to it having skinner tyres - but either way it is still a great fun bike.

When I stuck the deposit on the 1290 one of the others had to go, I was in two minds so let the Mrs decide, she had clocked a few thousand miles on the 1090 already, we swapped bikes for about 3 miles one day so she could see how the 1190 compared and when we went to swap back she had a grin that said it all - we kept the 1190....

...but the current prices for the 1090s make them a bargain that cannot be ignored!

Win / Win really.

I've never personally had problems with undue movement (always used soft luggage on my previous 1190 with no ill effects, and although I've not tested my current one with luggage can't see that it would be any different)
In all honesty how many times do you need to do 120++ with hard panniers fitted? Sure we've all done it just for a bit of extra smiles but it's not a huge percentage of your riding miles so in my opinion any cheeky wiggles if you choose to press on a bit just add to the fun.
It wasn't designed to compete with K1600 armchairs :thumb

Not sure if you are actively looking to buy or just researching but will drop a link to my 1190 on sale here at the moment just in case :beerjug:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/505266-KTM-1190R-2-850miles-Nov-2016

I sold my 2015 1190s last week privately. It had racked up 32k miles but was well serviced and looked after. Fully loaded and it went for £6200 and I hated doing it but needed a lighter bike. Only weave I had was at a GPS verified 130mph chasing mates on sports bikes but what do you expect for a 230kg trail bike on steroids?!

I'd go for the 1090 if you want the security of a 2 year warranty but 9 grand will be more than enough to bag any 1190 which I think will be the better bike (although I've not ridden the 1090) and most faults will already have been dealt with under it's warranty.

I'd have happily taken my 32000 miler across Europe had I not had the health problems. The new owner has a bargain - the lucky bstard

Back
Top Bottom