Who needs backlit switchgear?

France, October, cold, raining, 9pm, country roads and fat gloves. I would have liked backlit switches, this is a way round it. They are a bit bright, put another switch to a pair of servos and swivel them forwards to act as DRLs. I feel a patent coming on.
I am sure backlit switches will be on the next model update.

Its definitely not something I could be bothered to do but I admire your ingenuity and neat execution. I would suggest that red lighting would be better, it would be enough to light the switches and would a visible red marker light from behind rather than white.

As Wapping alluded to I fitted Urbano muffs to my 1150 one winter, and then never took them off until I sold it and then fitted them to my 1200, so couldn’t see any switches even in daylight and I never had a problem. Although I did swap bikes with a mate once whilst out on a ride, I rode off on his new KTM and had to turn bike 5 miles later when I realised he was nowhere to be seen. Went back to find him unable to start the bike as he couldn’t find the starter button. :D

I like them, especially as they double as 'Dog Turd Lights' - like posh cars have - so you can see what you are about to step in as you alight.

:thumb

One question, OP. Lots of GS riders like to use muffs, which often cover the switches entirely. I’d be interested to hear how you’ve overcome this challenge. Please include, if possible, pictures taken at night.

Night vision cameras inside the muffs with a monitor in the cockpit :D

Maybe a braille system would be more appropriate on the switches?.. my lad has some jelly tots I’ll give it a go by sticking them on in the correct places.
So you can actually spell out what the button are... Turn, Horn, Heatight... sorry I’ll just feel that one again... Headlight LOL :D

If you don't know where you buttons are by now you should do , is a bike not a car ffs … backlit bollox.

Fred, as you have put them up for general review, you have to accept other peoples sarcasm/wit/opinions - even though there are many on this BMW forum who dont have a BMW & only seek to rubbish them (that in itself is weird in my opinion).

Personally your new lights are not to my taste & i cant say i have ever felt the need to illuminate them, your bike however is just that, so if you are happy with your latest mod then good on you. Enjoy :thumby:

Thanks. I knew full well what I would be letting myself in for when I made the post - but it doesn't worry me, in fact I find it quite amusing. It was partly a tongue in cheek response to some discussion I saw, possibly on here, about how BMW were falling behind the competition by not having backlit switches, something that was mentioned in at least one review of the 1250 when they were struggling to find anything else to criticise. Having designed a "solution" to this grievous shortcoming I possibly got a bit carried away and couldn't resist actually installing it!

It’s a great idea . Next stop , Dragon’s Den !

I’ve been inspired so have done something similar on my complicated Guzzi switch gear

dde1779aaf190e26b82f9b8010dc3765.jpg

Need to get some black tape to finish the beautifully neat job though

48661861a78ffd71bbdfb0e1c41f29f1.jpg

Its definitely not something I could be bothered to do but I admire your ingenuity and neat execution. I would suggest that red lighting would be better, it would be enough to light the switches and would a visible red marker light from behind rather than white.

As Wapping alluded to I fitted Urbano muffs to my 1150 one winter, and then never took them off until I sold it and then fitted them to my 1200, so couldn’t see any switches even in daylight and I never had a problem. Although I did swap bikes with a mate once whilst out on a ride, I rode off on his new KTM and had to turn bike 5 miles later when I realised he was nowhere to be seen. Went back to find him unable to start the bike as he couldn’t find the starter button. :D

Thanks, and actually the red lighting is a good suggestion and would achieve the upmarket cockpit ambiance I am after. :D Seriously, a bit of photography filter gel material under some new bits of transparent heatshrink would do the job, and also tone down the brightness a bit.

It’s a great idea . Next stop , Dragon’s Den !

I’ve been inspired so have done something similar on my complicated Guzzi switch gear

dde1779aaf190e26b82f9b8010dc3765.jpg

Need to get some black tape to finish the beautifully neat job though

Dear Arsey,

Nice job, if a little lacking in sophistication.

Don't call us - we'll call you.

Best Regards,

The Dragons

Back
Top Bottom