Who needs backlit switchgear?

fred_jb

Reaction score
When you have front lit switches. I no longer have to be envious of those Ducati and KTM owners boasting about their backlit switchgear!

I've been amusing myself by fitting some lights to illuminate the switchgear when it is dark. I used some low power USB lights intended for plugging into laptops to provide some light on the keyboard. I would have liked to switch these lights on and off using a signal from the headlight power, but this is internal to the headlight assembly and is controlled by a light sensor on the instrument panel somewhere which is also not accesible as far as I know. Instead I powered the lights from a dual output 12V to USB converter, and provided power to that via a light sensitive switch so the lights now only come on in low light conditions.

A6K5-50817-XL.jpg

A6K5-50818-XL.jpg

A6K5-50822-XL.jpg

These are the lights, which I waterproofed with some transparent heat shrink sleeving:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is the light sensitive "dusk to dawn" switch:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JFYM3TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FFS, if you can’t work out where your switches are in the dark then you shouldn’t be let loose on a bike. It’s getting ridiculous with all this technical bollocks. It’s a fuckin motorcycle. If you want TFT, illuminated switches etc, buy a fuckin car.

Reminds me of the icecream lady coming round in the interval :D

Wapping will like this :thumb

Indeed so, bikermate :thumby:

I really like the lights. They are a fantastic idea and a real contribution to the pool of knowledge and experience that is so often found in this section. If I had a 1200 or indeed any GS, I’d be fitting them right now, I can tell you.

One question, OP. Lots of GS riders like to use muffs, which often cover the switches entirely. I’d be interested to hear how you’ve overcome this challenge. Please include, if possible, pictures taken at night.

The great thing about living in central London is that it’s very rarely so dark that I cannot see the switches. But you know what, I realise now that I don’t think I’ve ever really looked, nor in the daylight. But hey, now that I’ve seen them, lights like yours will be a godsend, should I ever go outside of the M25 or even to the Ace. Have you ever been to the Ace, OP? It’s great with lots of bikers to chill with; be sure to go if not.

Thanks for sharing. This is a great site and a super sub-section for likeminds. Look forward to hearing about the muffs. One thought, if I may and it’s perhaps something you could turn your attention to, as I see you have a really nice tool box in the background. Can you make a light so that bikers can read a map as they ride along, please. Seeing the switches AND reading a map at the same time would be great but be sure that it won’t tempt you to take your eyes off the road! Ride safe and be sure to keep ‘em coming!

Oh well - that had the desired effect. A bit like poking a wasp's nest with a stick to see what happens. Fortunately only a virtual wasp's nest in this case!

:trippy

Oh well - that had the desired effect. A bit like poking a wasp's nest with a stick to see what happens. Fortunately only a virtual wasp's nest in this case!

Don’t be put off by a few that can’t see the value in your lights. I’m going out right now to strap three tac tec lights to my helmet, as a temporary fix until I can get the lights you kindly linked to. Don’t forget about the muffs!

Indeed so, bikermate :thumby:
One question, OP. Lots of GS riders like to use muffs, which often cover the switches entirely. I’d be interested to hear how you’ve overcome this challenge. Please include, if possible, pictures taken at night.

What - GS riders use muffs and cover up those macho Touratech enhanced handguards - surely not? Anyway, I'm not anticipating the need as I'm off to Spain in May heading for Valencia via Santander and Madrid and expect it to be warm enough to survive without fitting muffs. However, last year the ferry was so late that I ended up riding in the dark through the mountains to get to my first hotel - those lights might have been quite useful on that occasion so I think I will keep them despite not getting the UKGSer seal of approval. :thumby:

Come on chaps its a Health and Safety problem here, a most important subject to biker mates.

On a serious note if you want them more visible at night Id suggest brushing some luminous paint on the switch gear [available on ebay] and changing your bulbs to infra red so they are less intrusive.

Many moons ago would regularly ride a bike in the dark, switches consisted of indicator, high low beam and horn and bugger all else............ it was never a problem.

Year or two back for th first time in 20 years plus I rode the GSA in darkness, so you have buttons for cruise control, main and dip beam,indicators, horn , trip funtions, riding modes, computer pro functions ,driving lamps ,ESA............ mostly on the the switch unit.

In that scenario simple switch backlighting that most cars have had for decades would be a boon

Could the OP please provide a magnifying glass in front of each switchgear also.

My eyes aren't that they used to be and it would help make sense of the tiny squiggles.

Fred, as you have put them up for general review, you have to accept other peoples sarcasm/wit/opinions - even though there are many on this BMW forum who dont have a BMW & only seek to rubbish them (that in itself is weird in my opinion).

Personally your new lights are not to my taste & i cant say i have ever felt the need to illuminate them, your bike however is just that, so if you are happy with your latest mod then good on you. Enjoy :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom