Digital speedos

BOBAD

Reaction score
Spurred on by a recent triggering of a revenue generator by exceeding the speed limit by 6mph at 02,30h in the morning, when there was no other pedestrian or vehicular traffic anywhere within many miles of the camera at the time, (pissd off?..... me?..... oh yes) I have become totally paranoid about speed limits and I wanted something more easily read than the stock speedo fitted to my '11 GS twin-cam.

The TFT dash on the new 1250 gets much praise for it's clarity and I would love one but the cost of replacing my much-loved current bike at huge cost really grates when all I want is a more legible speedo....

I used to have a Touratech IMO100 speed computer on my previos bikes but there was constant aggravation from the magnet / speed sensor although the display unit was brilliant (when it worked.)
It was very expensive when new but I didn't fit it to my current bike and it remained on my last one when it was sold.

So, for the benefit of anybody who might be trying to address the same problem, I can highly recommend a digital speedo made by GPT model no: GPT DS 150 which works off GPS signals and which i have just fitted a few days ago.

No more aggro with magnets and wheel speed sensors.

It is brilliant - the display is plasma backlit and the readout is stable and very accurate.
It fitted on the protection bar above the instrument cluster and is easily in my line of sight.

I only posted this to help anybody searching for something similar as I had a helluva job finding it.

I have no connection to the selling outlet other than as a very satisfied customer.

https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/g...otal-mileage-re-settable-trip-mph-kph-nm-p259

Use a gps with a big number display yo show your speed
That is what I use to display my speed

Use a gps with a big number display yo show your speed
That is what I use to display my speed

Be aware that using gps for a speedo, eliminates the 10% factor that is inherant in analogue speedometers..

Ie Analogue 60mph displayed could be 54mph actual (Analogue speedometers are not allowed by law to overread)

Gps 60mph displayed will be near on 60mph actual so if you start thinking i'm ok with the 10% your going to be doing 66mph actual

30 +10% +2 = 35
33 +10% +2 = 38

One will give you an afternoon in a hotel, the other 3 points ;)

Be aware that using gps for a speedo, eliminates the 10% factor that is inherant in analogue speedometers..

Ie Analogue 60mph displayed could be 54mph actual (Analogue speedometers are not allowed by law to overread)

Gps 60mph displayed will be near on 60mph actual so if you start thinking i'm ok with the 10% your going to be doing 66mph actual

30 +10% +2 = 35
33 +10% +2 = 38

One will give you an afternoon in a hotel, the other 3 points ;)

Not sure what you're driving at ??

That's why I compare actual gps via the analogue needle

So a gps at 29 mph will be well below the 30 mph limit although speedo will read 34 mph

GPS helps abroad too as you can change to km/h easily

Works for me, enter a 30 limit at 29mph on gps and trundle past the camera van at 28-29 mph on the gps - couldn't give a stuff what the analogue speedo says as the gps will be more accurate

Spurred on by a recent triggering of a revenue generator by exceeding the speed limit by 6mph at 02,30h in the morning, when there was no other pedestrian or vehicular traffic anywhere within many miles of the camera at the time, (pissd off?..... me?..... oh yes) I have become totally paranoid about speed limits and I wanted something more easily read than the stock speedo fitted to my '11 GS twin-cam.

The TFT dash on the new 1250 gets much praise for it's clarity and I would love one but the cost of replacing my much-loved current bike at huge cost really grates when all I want is a more legible speedo....

I used to have a Touratech IMO100 speed computer on my previos bikes but there was constant aggravation from the magnet / speed sensor although the display unit was brilliant (when it worked.)
It was very expensive when new but I didn't fit it to my current bike and it remained on my last one when it was sold.

So, for the benefit of anybody who might be trying to address the same problem, I can highly recommend a digital speedo made by GPT model no: GPT DS 150 which works off GPS signals and which i have just fitted a few days ago.

No more aggro with magnets and wheel speed sensors.

It is brilliant - the display is plasma backlit and the readout is stable and very accurate.
It fitted on the protection bar above the instrument cluster and is easily in my line of sight.

I only posted this to help anybody searching for something similar as I had a helluva job finding it.

I have no connection to the selling outlet other than as a very satisfied customer.

https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/g...otal-mileage-re-settable-trip-mph-kph-nm-p259

Very handy indeed, however a couple hundred quid more and a Nav5 or 6 second-hand would have been my choice, best of both worlds Navigation and digital speedo and many other options.

Not sure what you're driving at ??

That's why I compare actual gps via the analogue needle

So a gps at 29 mph will be well below the 30 mph limit although speedo will read 34 mph

GPS helps abroad too as you can change to km/h easily

Works for me, enter a 30 limit at 29mph on gps and trundle past the camera van at 28-29 mph on the gps - couldn't give a stuff what the analogue speedo says as the gps will be more accurate

Absolutly correct,

What i was trying to point out was dont fall into the trap of adding 10% to your gps speed ;)

The amount of people ive come accross who've added 10% to that and then wondered why they got a ticket lol :blast

Doesn't the NAV V have the option of one big SPEED display on the screen?

£120 for a speedo is a bit steep. Get a cheap Iphone or Android and get a speed display app.

Absolutly correct,

What i was trying to point out was dont fall into the trap of adding 10% to your gps speed ;)

The amount of people ive come accross who've added 10% to that and then wondered why they got a ticket lol :blast

Oh I see
I am bright enough not to do that

I dealt with Digital Speedos recently, (an electronic speedo for my Mini Moke), seemed a good bunch, but expensive.

GPS Sat-nav will give you speed, no point in duplication.

:thumb

Someone on here has mentioned a cheap electronic speedo from ebay if memory serves it was only around thirty quid.

Been using a DS150 GPS speedo for a few years. I have it mounted on the top of the Givi af330 Lower screen so it is just below the line of sight.
in the past I have used push bike speedo`s for this function but back then there were non that had a back light that could be powered from a remote source.

Back
Top Bottom