Clutch slipping under acceleration...

TonkaTruck

Reaction score
R1200GS 2006. 40,000 miles

Wonder if anyone can help, my clutch has started slipping under above average acceleration.
I've removed the clutch to inspect, however there is plenty of life left in the clutch. :confused:

57502950-827276244311303-2397572141877821440-n.jpg

Clutch was dry, no signs of oil... I'm presuming pressure plate failure? or could this be an actuation slave cylinder issue?

Edit: The clutch lever was not hitting the hand guard.

how could a drive shaft cause slipping?

If a drive shaft is failing i would have thought it would give symptoms at all speeds

The only other thing i could think of is the pressure plate is worn, so its not maintaining enough pressure on the clutch plate / flywheel

hence the slip

Looking at the tech specs

Clutch wear limit is 4.4 -4.6mm measured pressed together at rivets

Driver plate distortion max is 0.1mm
Distortion of thrust plate & housing cover is 0.1-0.2 max

You could try degreasing the clutch plate & friction faces using brake cleaner

Brake cleaner 83 19 2 154 780

With the amount of work needed to split the bike, I would just replace the clutch....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

how could a drive shaft cause slipping?

If a drive shaft is failing i would have thought it would give symptoms at all speeds

The only other thing i could think of is the pressure plate is worn, so its not maintaining enough pressure on the clutch plate / flywheel

hence the slip

Looking at the tech specs

Clutch wear limit is 4.4 -4.6mm measured pressed together at rivets

Driver plate distortion max is 0.1mm
Distortion of thrust plate & housing cover is 0.1-0.2 max

You could try degreasing the clutch plate & friction faces using brake cleaner

Brake cleaner 83 19 2 154 780

This is exactly my thought in regards to the pressure plate.
I think for the hassle and peace of mind, I'm going to bite the bullet and replace the clutch, pressure plate etc etc...

is there ?

did you ?

thats alot of work , if it's just too much fluid .

you haven't said that you checked it.

your emoji makes me not want to help you.

On the 1200 the fluid level increases as the clutch wears. This is always worth checking prior to stripping a bike apart when clutch slipping occurs.

too much fluid in the m/cylinder ?

did you ask an adult before you took it apart ? its all in the diagnosis .

is there ?

did you ?

thats alot of work , if it's just too much fluid .

you haven't said that you checked it.

your emoji makes me not want to help you.

How is a patronising tone helpful?

however there is plenty of life left in the clutch. :confused:

57502950-827276244311303-2397572141877821440-n.jpg

What thickness do you have the tolerances are VERY small between worn and serviceable

I have had a few where some muppet had screwed in the lever adjuster so far (Zero free play) that it was always under pressure and would slip when pushed any way hard

Oh and by the way with that Bluing you would be wise to not refit that unit, its fucked!!

40,000 miles
I've removed the clutch to inspect, however there is plenty of life left in the clutch. :confused:

That's all a bit vague .... what is the actual thickness of the friction plate. And 40,000 miles on a dry clutch if it's used hard or in a lot of traffic is pretty good,, they only usually last 20-20K if treated with no mechanical sympathy :D

How is a patronising tone helpful?

Because it gives us all a break from the usual tedious replies.

The problem with internet interactions is that it's hard to know when something is a bit of a larf or when it really is rude. But it's more fun to have a few amusing posts

Other question I would have is the history of the bike - is this something that you have owned for a while, or is it quite new? How was it ridden? Lots of town miles and clutch slipping? Left in a garage for a few years? Might make a difference to know.

Back
Top Bottom