BMW Motorrad Connected app updated

Fluffmeister

I think I'm a Guzzista now
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
An update just dropped, so TFT owners, connected app users, some new features like the app can give you a 3 day weather forecast for your current location, but the one I like is you can now export your recorded rides as a .gpx file.

Maybe for iOS. Not for Android...
90a4cd4f455ea397c8fd0955540c76fa.jpg

The IOS app is far superior to the Andriod app. Not just in appearance, and weather etc, But it does more.
On IOS you have full access , on the move to albums, folders etc in media, which you dont in Andriod. That gives you the ability to chose and start an album whilst moving. With Andriod you have to start the album from the phone. And you're stuck with it until you stop again. You also have album art etc.
Andriod is far far behind.

New Android app available from today !

I have not downloaded the Connected App.
What exactly is the point with this App? I understand you may get the navigation part, that offers the type of navigation instructions that where impressive 25 years ago, but is there anything else that makes it woth while downloading?

I have not downloaded the Connected App.
What exactly is the point with this App? I understand you may get the navigation part, that offers the type of navigation instructions that where impressive 25 years ago, but is there anything else that makes it woth while downloading?
Download it and find out.

The IOS app is far superior to the Andriod app. Not just in appearance, and weather etc, But it does more.
On IOS you have full access , on the move to albums, folders etc in media, which you dont in Andriod. That gives you the ability to chose and start an album whilst moving. With Andriod you have to start the album from the phone. And you're stuck with it until you stop again. You also have album art etc.
Andriod is far far behind.

only if you use apple music as your default music app, which is shit.

I use Samsung music app, the standard one. On a 40GB SDHC card. It works very well. Just no album art or sub menus.

Download it and find out.

That is an option. However, my phone is already filled up with too many useless apps, so if there is no particular benefit to the Connected App, the least thing I need is one more useless app.
I see mentioning of phone functions, playback of music and navigation 1998 style. The phone works without the App for playback of music and for making phone calls.

So.. this leaves us with the navigation bit. Have I missed out anything?

You can uninstall apps.

I know.

But I figured I asked a simple question. However, apparently no one knows the answer.

So I'll answer my own question.(based on google search).

The app handles phone calls, music playback and navigation.
Phone calls and music playback works without the need of additional apps, so this leaves us with the navigation.
Based on Google maps navigation you may get instructions on the TFT 1998 style, with no map in sight. Additionally the app will store your routes, just like your Garmin GPS. The navigation part may offer rerouting due to traffic if such as service is provided in the country you are in, pretty much like the Garmin Smartlink.

The app will also display vehicle information, as found in the my Vehicle menu item in the TFT.

All in all, to me this appears as an totally useless app, that only does what you can do without the app. Correct me if I'm wrong

You could have spent 10 minutes checking out the app yourself but instead have spent a lifetime debating it, boring us, requesting to be spoonfed by the forum.

You can have speed limits on the TFT if you don´t have the GPS, but for me the main point is that it keeps all your trips at hand on a google maps kind of interface, you can even merge multiple trips if you want.
Again if you have the Navigator you don´t need this but the interface is really sleek

I know.

But I figured I asked a simple question. However, apparently no one knows the answer.

So I'll answer my own question.(based on google search).

The app handles phone calls, music playback and navigation.
Phone calls and music playback works without the need of additional apps, so this leaves us with the navigation.
Based on Google maps navigation you may get instructions on the TFT 1998 style, with no map in sight. Additionally the app will store your routes, just like your Garmin GPS. The navigation part may offer rerouting due to traffic if such as service is provided in the country you are in, pretty much like the Garmin Smartlink.

The app will also display vehicle information, as found in the my Vehicle menu item in the TFT.

All in all, to me this appears as an totally useless app, that only does what you can do without the app. Correct me if I'm wrong

I tend to agree, and other than as a much improved speed display, I find the TFT a big disappointment.

For example, it seems that in order to view live up to date bike information you to have the bike switched on, in which case you may as well view it on the TFT. A friend has a recent Volvo car and you can view all sorts of information live via an app while the car is switched off, and can also display the car's location, lock and unlock remotely, etc.

I don't play music or make/take phone calls while riding, but if I did I can do that directly from the phone which I also use as a satnav, so why involve the complication of putting the TFT in the loop. Maybe it gives the advantage of controlling music selection with the wonderwheel, but is it worth the hassle of the complicated and failure prone multiple Bluetooth pairings required to achieve this? As for the satnav capability - it needs the processing power of the phone to run this, the phones's GPS to know where it is, and also needs to use up storage on the phone for the maps. In return for all that all the TFT does is give a display of basic arrow instructions. Basically you may as well run a decent satnav app on the phone and mount it on the bike as a secondary display. That's what I do, using the MyRoute Navigation app.

I would be more impressed if the app let you do something useful, like customise the TFT display in terms of what is displayed and where. This is done all the time with smart watches via their companion apps, so not too much to ask to have that ability on the instrument panel of my very expensive bike. I still can't believe that it seems you can display less information at the same time on the TFT compared to the old LCD display that came with the analogue dials.

Maybe I just need to RTFM, but I don't see a way of displaying more than one parameter at a time on the TFT, despite all that hi-res real estate available, most of which is unfortunately given over to the giant revcounter display which is much bigger than needed, and which I would happily do without entirely. So for example I can view fuel gauge or tyre pressures but not both, and the same for all the other useful information. BMW could easily have made the display much more useful, for example by giving an option for the top half of the display to show speed and a simple revcounter and allow the bottom half to be used for displaying multiple other parameters simultaneously, in a similar way to what you can do at the moment on the Nav V/VI.

You could have spent 10 minutes checking out the app yourself but instead have spent a lifetime debating it, boring us, requesting to be spoonfed by the forum.

I asked for an answer that might take less than 5 min to write for a person with the proper knowledge. If that is your span for a lifetime, well, you have my deepest sympathy.

And if the posting bores you, why do you keep reading it? :aidan

I asked for an answer that might take less than 5 min to write for a person with the proper knowledge. If that is your span for a lifetime, well, you have my deepest sympathy.

And if the posting bores you, why do you keep reading it? :aidan
My apologies, as you watch paint dry time passes much slower.

I tend to agree, and other than as a much improved speed display, I find the TFT a big disappointment.

For example, it seems that in order to view live up to date bike information you to have the bike switched on, in which case you may as well view it on the TFT. A friend has a recent Volvo car and you can view all sorts of information live via an app while the car is switched off, and can also display the car's location, lock and unlock remotely, etc.

I don't play music or make/take phone calls while riding, but if I did I can do that directly from the phone which I also use as a satnav, so why involve the complication of putting the TFT in the loop. Maybe it gives the advantage of controlling music selection with the wonderwheel, but is it worth the hassle of the complicated and failure prone multiple Bluetooth pairings required to achieve this? As for the satnav capability - it needs the processing power of the phone to run this, the phones's GPS to know where it is, and also needs to use up storage on the phone for the maps. In return for all that all the TFT does is give a display of basic arrow instructions. Basically you may as well run a decent satnav app on the phone and mount it on the bike as a secondary display. That's what I do, using the MyRoute Navigation app.

I would be more impressed if the app let you do something useful, like customise the TFT display in terms of what is displayed and where. This is done all the time with smart watches via their companion apps, so not too much to ask to have that ability on the instrument panel of my very expensive bike. I still can't believe that it seems you can display less information at the same time on the TFT compared to the old LCD display that came with the analogue dials.

Maybe I just need to RTFM, but I don't see a way of displaying more than one parameter at a time on the TFT, despite all that hi-res real estate available, most of which is unfortunately given over to the giant revcounter display which is much bigger than needed, and which I would happily do without entirely. So for example I can view fuel gauge or tyre pressures but not both, and the same for all the other useful information. BMW could easily have made the display much more useful, for example by giving an option for the top half of the display to show speed and a simple revcounter and allow the bottom half to be used for displaying multiple other parameters simultaneously, in a similar way to what you can do at the moment on the Nav V/VI.

I feel we are on the same page here.

Sometime BMW makes 'improvements' that no one have missed.

Back
Top Bottom