Kurviger - It works

Wapping

Reaction score
Whilst I remain a committed fan of BaseCamp and / or Mapsource, I must say that Kurviger.de does make a very decent: "Tell me how to go from A to E via B, C and D, no motorways, all twisties and it needs to be easy to download to me Garmin, mate" alternative.

Whilst I remain a committed fan of BaseCamp and / or Mapsource, I must say that Kurviger.de does make a very decent: "Tell me how to go from A to E via B, C and D, no motorways, all twisties and it needs to be easy to download to me Garmin, mate" alternative.

Thanks for the info. A good map touring site to play with and find routes. Very information and easy to use.

Ta,

Iain

Kurviger is one of the few apps I have bought for my phone which I'm still glad I did. Prefer it to google maps if it's about the ride rather than getting to the destination.
The filters it offers for navigation are great for finding new ways to familiar destination. Although 'extra curvy' can get a bit ridiculous sometimes I find 'curvy' and avoid main roads seems to do the trick.
Another plus is it doesn't drain the battery faster than my on bike charger can replenish it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hmmm.
Have had a look.
Zeebrugge to Troyes comes out at twice the time as all other mapping wotsits - over 6 hours and avoids autoroutes even when no avoidances are checked.
So does Troyes - Lyon.

I find it’s easiest to export the route from Kurviger into BaseCamp as a track. I then convert the track into a route from with BaseCamp and zoom in. Any obvious odd (and to me unecessary) deviations down small lanes, any unecessary cutting of corners or avoidance of perfectly good ring roads around towns I then just edit out.

I then correct the start and end points as necessary, adding in any waypoints along the route that I fancy. Similarly, I convert any Kurviger announced shaping points into unannounced points.

That’s it, job done.

Kurviger.de

Hmmm.
Have had a look.
Zeebrugge to Troyes comes out at twice the time as all other mapping wotsits - over 6 hours and avoids autoroutes even when no avoidances are checked.
So does Troyes - Lyon.

That is odd, I agree.

As a small experiment I asked it for Boulogne to Calais, which using the ‘fastest route’ took me - as I’d expect - straight down the motorway. Choosing the first ‘wiggly’ route option, took me off the motorway entirely (as I’d expect) and ran me up near enough parallel to the motorway, again as I’d expect.

I then tried, London to Northampton, logically straight up the M1, which was OK but it took me off at the Bedford / Milton Keynes exit and up the wiggles of the B526 for the last stretch, when of course it’s fastest to stay on the M1 all the way.

I’m guessing that the Kurviger algorithm is heavily biased towards avoiding motorways where possible, irrespective of the setting. It doesn’t trouble me that much as I would always check the routes the software throws up, irrespective. Either way, I have asked the Kurviger help desk forum the question

b0fc841b78fff0701e1995508903ab1c.jpg

.... Let’s see what the answer is.

..... and here’s the answer:

841d43ff0c7ecbb768cc539923fd7b75.jpg

https://kurviger.de/about/en

As I guessed in post #6, there is a big bias towards getting bods off motorways at the earliest opportunity. It’s a moot point as to whether ‘Fastest route’ really describes the result that’s handed back but once it’s understood, then all is well. Just use Google maps’ routing tools to give the true ‘fastest’ option between two or more points.

Yep agreed, if I need to get somewhere directly by the fastest route then Google map is my weapon of choice, but if its a bimble out in the countryside with no time constraint then it's Kurviger Pro. And it's really worked well as it took me down little lanes and cut throughs I'd never ridden within a 10 miles radius of where I've lived my whole biking life.
I think Pro may have more filters enabled than the free version, but not sure on that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have only had the briefest of plays with Kurviger, and that on an iPad (web) What I failed to spot was an ability to control a route with any form of “rubber banding” - have I missed it

Importing a track into the iOS app Pocket Earth gave some interesting options (which of course uses the same OpenStreetMapping data)

I’ve been using Kurviger for a little while now, and I really like it. I tend to use it to get the outline of a route I want to do, export it, then tidy up in Basecamp with shaping points.

It’s also pretty good to just hash a route together quickly and throw it into the Garmin if needed.

I used to use Motogoloco for that, but Kurviger has taken that role over now as the tool of choice. I always end up putting the suggested route into Basecamp to make some tweaks to, but it’s an excellent starting point.

I’ve been using Kurviger for a little while now, and I really like it. I tend to use it to get the outline of a route I want to do, export it, then tidy up in Basecamp with shaping points.

It’s also pretty good to just hash a route together quickly and throw it into the Garmin if needed.

I used to use Motogoloco for that, but Kurviger has taken that role over now as the tool of choice. I always end up putting the suggested route into Basecamp to make some tweaks to, but it’s an excellent starting point.

Thanks for this (thanks also, Wapping). I've tried Kurviger to plot some routes in Spain and Portugal and it has come up with some useful suggestions. It has a definite bias toward 'goat tracks' though so I agree with others that the routes need careful review and most likely a few changes made, in Basecamp. It certainly gives a useful starting point though.

I like the feature of the altimeter that is tied the the route point. I can see myself playing with this tool often. If only it had the rubber band facility it be even better. Maybe is does and I haven't found it yet.

I like the feature of the altimeter that is tied the the route point. I can see myself playing with this tool often. If only it had the rubber band facility it be even better. Maybe is does and I haven't found it yet.
What do you mean by the rubber band facility?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I have only had the briefest of plays with Kurviger, and that on an iPad (web) What I failed to spot was an ability to control a route with any form of “rubber banding” - have I missed it

Importing a track into the iOS app Pocket Earth gave some interesting options (which of course uses the same OpenStreetMapping data)

Control the route by adding via points. Via points may be moved about after their creation if you wish.

I'm rather liking this.
I have to take a trip, by car, to Germany, but, the wife wants to keep the Montana in her car.

Loaded several apps to my phone and the best route is given by ViaMichelin, but you cant use that offline.

All the others take a preferred route on the Autoroutes, even though they include some long loops out of my way just to stay on m/ways.

Tried Kurviger on the PC, using the M/ways plot and it gave me a route close the that plotted by VM, taking a more direct route using N and D roads to bypass the long motorway loops.
You can the share that route via a QR code to your phone and open it with Kurviger.

Excellent!

Gaaa!
I like the app but can't get a route from there directly onto the Garmin. I export as a .gpx and copy to microSD, but Garmin wont import the route. I had a look at the file contents (guess its a form of XML) and it's quite different to the .gpx files output by Basecamp.
:confused:

Gaaa! I like the app but can't get a route from there directly onto the Garmin.

As you say :(

I found this on the web help. (Not tried it yet)

Is it possible to transfer a route to a satnav, like Garmin Zumo or TomTom Rider using the Kurviger App?
Some navis like the TomTom Rider can receive routes via Bluetooth (see the TomTom Export for more details). If your satnav uses a microSD card, it might be possible to insert the sd card into your smartphone, transfer the route onto the microSD card and put it back into the satnav.

Yes I already use the microSD card to transfer routes into the unit (ZUMO 350) through the /Garmin/GPX folder.
I copy the Kuvinger route to there, but once inserted into the the Garmin, it does not recognise the file and does not show the route in the "Import Route" screen.
Would be nice to be able to do this without going through Basecamp, only because Basecamp lives at home on my creaky old PC and I may not be near it when I want to use this facility..

have you tried doing the same with a track instead of a route, just a thought

Importing GPX files from Kurviger into a Garmin device shouldn't be too complicated. The default GPX and also the Garmin GPX (currently only on the website, but it will be released in the app in the next days), should both work with a Garmin device (the default GPX to visit every WP, the Garmin GPX has all waypoints as ShapingPoint - more on this can be found here). If your Garmin does not recognize the GPX files, this could be due to an issue with file permissions. Have you tried what happens if you export a GPX from the Kurviger website on you computer and move it the SD card there. Also it might be worthwhile to try a different file browser on your Android device, maybe your current file browser is the trouble maker.

Back
Top Bottom