MyRoute app - It works

Wapping

Reaction score
I have created this thread from another.

Richard

I..... use My Route App and the pro version allows Google, Garmin and Tom Tom calculations, plus you can calculate with one using the map overlay of another...

...All have advantages, but I find Tom Tom and Garmin (Here) maps are much better at distinguishing between road types, with Google a perfectly decent road can be indicated with a narrow white line which is identical to how a single track lane (or even dirt track) is shown, Tom Tom and Here both distinguish these far better. The ability to change the overlay in a click of the mouse makes My Route App pro worth every penny.

...And street view allows me to do a sanity check on any I am unsure of - not forgetting some of the best roads can be singe track, and some of the worst!

MyRoute, with its ability to overlay different maps, does work well.

It does though require the user to plot their own routes, A to D via B and C. Bods who like to be told (or have suggested to them) which routes avoid motorways and which routes are twisty, might prefer Kurviger. They both have their uses, for sure.

With the apparent death of Motogoloco, MyApp may well make a suitable alternative.

I've been using My Route App (I have the Gold version, the free version is a lot more basic) for a year now and find it really good.

Being able to compare a route plotted with a Garmin map against a Tom Tom Map or Google is good, so if giving to others you can make sure the route will be the same on different devices. Being able to export to just about any format is also very good.

You can not yet plot a route and switch between waypoints and shaping points, you have to plot with waypoints and then change them in the device if you want shaping points.

There is also two Garmin export options, 1.0 and 1.1. Garmin 1.0 exports the route with waypoints. Garmin 1.1 exports a route with shaping points only, but you have to import it to the device using some particular steps that are documented in the support pages or you end up with a straight line route. The import does work if you follow the steps, but I find the best way is to use 1.0 and then change the waypoints to shaping points in the device, if that is what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use My Route App Gold and have recently moved from a TomTom 550 to a Garmin Nav-6. Please would you clarify the difference between Way Points that I'm familiar with and "Shaping Points" because when moving routes as recommended by My Route Support as Tracks and then converting them to Routes sometimes gives straight lines between Way Points and at other times the route follows the curves in the road.

Agree with the need to check the position of Way Points on roads when going between TomTom and Here maps as sometimes with one or the other , the Way Point is off to one side of the road being followed.

Thanks.

Thanks for the Link Wapping, worked OK following the instructions, people told me that Garmin software is "clunky" compared to TomTom, now see why! Overall, especially how the Nav-6 links in to the GS I'm pleased that I switched, just takes time to learn the Garmin system.

glad you tried the My route wapping ..I am on it from Motogoloco and they do have similarities....I tried it first on the trail giving them my email address for two weeks, then i gave them another email address then another then another !So i got an 8 week free trial . I deduced to subscribe to the gold membership which lets you use different type of maps. The HERE map is designed for Garmin. I think had Basecamp continued to update its mapping it might have deflected to the HERE version.

I find My Route easy to and friendly. Still finding my way around it so dont want to confuse myself by trying Kurviger.

Glad its got your opinion .You are the UKGSER Mapping expert for sure

It was me who worked with My Route App to test their solution, the original solution didn't work, but the above does. But as I've said, its easier just to export with Garmin 1.0 and then change the waypoints you want from within the Nav.

Version 1.2 is now available. It seems to work very well with my XT and Nav V devices.

Version 1.2 is now available. It seems to work very well with my XT and Nav V devices.

The other day, I tried v1.1 and that worked with my Nav VI, so the straight lines were gone. I couldn't fine v1.2 but that must have been when people were using it in beta. Anyways I've just bought an XT so am following all the XT help with interest :) One question, is there still a 28 waypoint limit with the XT?

The other day, I tried v1.1 and that worked with my Nav VI, so the straight lines were gone. I couldn't fine v1.2 but that must have been when people were using it in beta. Anyways I've just bought an XT so am following all the XT help with interest :) One question, is there still a 28 waypoint limit with the XT?

Here’s 1.2 in screenshots off my iPad. The view is slightly different on an iPad but just find your way to ‘Save as’:

b3269dc81643cb945bc9df2af83c00aa.png

8d8d687eb2d90186707c23c0760b83f9.png

47fcec62642ae376069488cf2e78f72c.png

Yes, the limit is still there 28 or 29 *, I forget which. With excellent advice from UKGSer’s adm 1 I have though found a neat work around.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-into-BaseCamp-on-a-Mac?p=6222746#post6222746

* 30 according to the Garmin website help page. I assume Garmin count the start point as one, then 29 more, giving 30 in all. Or it’s 30 less one for the start and one for the end, giving 28. So all three of us are correct, in a way. It’s either 30 or 29 or 28, all depending on how you count the points.

But if you plot a route in MRA and use shaping points, when you export to the device, doesn't the device still think these are all waypoints, so there would still be the limit of 28, regardless if once in the device you change them? Or have I got that wrong :)

But if you plot a route in MRA and use shaping points, when you export to the device, doesn't the device still think these are all waypoints, so there would still be the limit of 28, regardless if once in the device you change them? Or have I got that wrong :)

In word, no. :beerjug:

Here’s a 140 mile route, with 100 shaping points in it, subdivided with lots of via points:

dc377e0e4deeff8477f4059feae55662.png

The teardrops are shaping points, created by using the ‘Expand’ tool. The hands are shaping points that I then converted into via points (to use Garmin’s terminology) being points that I have told the software - and as a consequence my XT - that I must pass through. The yellow points down at between six and seven o’clock are via points I created manually for a lunch stop.

You can download it here to play around with:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fx98ikfvxnd7wy/Forum - Day out - Wanne - CORRECTED.gpx?dl=0

I created it just to test out what is possible. It loaded in one go, straight into my XT and Nav V.

There is though a separate limit that Garmin imposes on the number of shaping points a route can carry. It’s 125 according to the Garmin information page.

The more I play around with it (this time with some purpose) the more I like it. I have created 13 routes for a ‘half lap’ of France, in a sort of badly shaped U, beginning in Le Mans, via Millau and Provence, up to the Morvan, on to Verdun and back to home via Calais.

83b76162afeab5de8eb5064ee2678299.png

They all transferred from my iPhone into Garmin Drive and then into my XT perfectly, except for one. One route displayed correctly, showing the correct distance but the estimated time, when shown on my XT had jumped from five and half hours to nearly nine. Something was wrong. It only had one via point (a point I must go through) about five miles from my start. I moved the point to six miles and, for some reason I can’t fathom, the estimated time corrected itself. Check and check again, as sorting it out at home is much easier than in under the blazing sun in Provenence.

Being able to see the route at ground level in MyRoute by using the Google street view option, was a real help in checking some roads. Similarly, being able to switch from the HERE map to the Michelin map and into a hybrid satellite view was great.

One little gripe. As with BaseCamp, it is possible to set a date and time in MyRoute for each of the 13 jaunts. If created in BaseCamp, these appear in calendar order in a Garmin device. For some unknown reason, when created in MyRoute, the times transfer over but the dates do not. I always give my routes a number and a descriptive name, so it’s not a big issue but having them display chronologically would be nice. It’s quite possible I have made a simple error myself, so if anyone knows the answer, please let me know.

Wapster - have you tried Scenic? How does Myroute compare?

I had a go with Myroute in the early days of its development.

It dropped me somewhere in the Picos and I had to revert to paper maps for a day (shock, horror) so I’ve always been a bit guarded about going back. Maybe I should give it a go again …

Wapster - have you tried Scenic? How does Myroute compare?

I had a go with Myroute in the early days of its development.

It dropped me somewhere in the Picos and I had to revert to paper maps for a day (shock, horror) so I’ve always been a bit guarded about going back. Maybe I should give it a go again …

I couldn’t get on with Scenic at all. Similarly, the earlier editions of MyRoute I couldn’t get on with. Not least, as I was fairly good at BaseCamp and before that MapSource, I didn’t need to.

MyRoute is now very well developed; it works really well on my Mac, on my iPad and iPhone. I will be running routes via my XT, not my iPhone. Having dropped my iPhone (it slipping through my fingers when putting it into the cradle) smashing the screen in the process, I have learned that lesson the hard way. I do not want to do the same in the pissing rain on the D247.

I was a big fan of BaseCamp but a switch to the XT means that MyRoute is now a better choice for me. I never thought I’d say that.

Cheers - on your recommendation I’ll give it a go again.

I always considered Basecamp a spiteful and deliberately unhelpful piece of software so never bothered too much tbh, which is why I went down the kurviger/Scenic route (see what I did there?)

To learn it, I found it best to:

A. Create a ‘Test’ folder just to try things out. I also used this to experiment sending routes to my XT (via Garmin Drive) and into the BMW Connect app.

B. Use it to create a bunch of routes that I will use, which forced me to be careful and learn more. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

C. Follow some good advice within UKGSer and helpful tips on the internet, including MyRoute’s own forum / help pages.

If it has one disadvantage it’s that, being Cloud based, if you delete something it’s gone forever. Anything really important I’d back up somewhere. That, along with the ease of using an iPad or iPhone to download a back-up makes this a lot easier than carting a MacBook around.

Back
Top Bottom