Manually checking tyre pressures?

freddyfruitbat

Reaction score
Interested to know how often owners of models which have built-in tyre pressure sensors actually connect up a tyre pressure gauge to check the pressure?
Or just rely on the readout on the dash?

Interested to know how often owners of models which have built-in tyre pressure sensors actually connect up a tyre pressure gauge to check the pressure?
I check the tyres against a calibrated gauge weekly, remember tps are for a specified ambient temp.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I don't have TPS on any of my bikes.

I check them as soon as I think they're a bit squirmy and I realise I haven't checked them for a few months!

Usually check before I go out.

I have those Red/Green indicator caps, but still double check with old style pressure gauge.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

1-a-daughter.jpg

I check the tyres against a calibrated gauge weekly, remember tps are for a specified ambient temp.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

According to my handbook, the TPS compensates for ambient temperature. In my experience, the actual reading isn't particularly accurate compared to measuring the pressure with an old-fashioned pencil gauge, so I set them with the pencil gauge, note what the TPS says, and worry about it if that changed by more than than 0.1 either way. Probably check it again properly every couple of months just to make sure.

As I understand it, it measures the pressure, reads the ambient temperature, and tells you what your tyre pressures would be if it was 20 Celsius.

Here's what the handbook says:

"Function A sensor integrated into each tyre measures the air temperature and the air pressure inside the tyre and transmits this information to the control unit. Each sensor has a tripswitch that does not enable transmission of the measured values until the motorcycle has accelerated to about 30 km/h. The display shows "" for each tyre until the tyre-pressure signal is received for the first time. The sensors continue to transmit the measured-value signals for approximately 15 minutes after the motorcycle comes to a stop.

Temperature compensation Tyre pressure is a temperature-sensitive variable: pressure increases as tyre temperature rises and decreases as tyre temperature drops. Tyre temperature depends on ambient temperature, on the style of riding and the duration of the ride.The tyre-pressure readings shown by the multifunction display are temperature-compensated; the reference tyre temperature for these readings is always 20 °C."

Check mine manually every time I ride it, mostly because the bloody tyre pressure monitors don't work and I can't be arsed to replace them!

I do it ONLY when the ambient air temperature is 20 C, as measured by my calibrated gauge

Er, is that a calibrated Thermometer I see in the background? BMW Part no -297 or similar? (DOH! Picture didn't load before I posted!

Personally check pressure every week and laugh at the "compensated" display going up or down.

Last edited:
I do it ONLY when the ambient air temperature is 20 C, as measured by my calibrated gauge

c0b08d8fa898bfac756e800281700eb3.jpg

154 C - does that say crack? You can use this thermometer in your drugs factory too?

In respect of tyre pressures, I'm not taking any chances on my K1600 uber-bike. I now only ride it when temperature is within a gnat's crotchet of 20 C.

Back
Top Bottom