It pays to book ferries early....

gerarddwatts

huge member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In an idle moment I have just checked how much it would cost if I booked now for our July crossings from Newcastle to Ijmuiden.

In fact I can't get the return as the boat is full, but coming home a day earlier is possible. Total cost £1817.

I booked in October last year, paid 15% deposit then, and the balance last week. Total cost for exactly the same cabins, meals etc, including 15% discount...£994.60

That's a lot of money to spend in the duty free!! Much grog!

Certainly worth remembering!

Looks like there's been a last minute rush now that Brexit has been postponed. Before then, the ferry companies were offering discounts, buy now pay later etc. Supply and demand as always.

What discounts did DFDS offer? They always do a deal at the end of the year.....which is where my 15 % came from. What else was there?

What discounts did DFDS offer? They always do a deal at the end of the year.....which is where my 15 % came from. What else was there?

Email from Mar 22 ...

50% Deposit and free cancellations

We know sometimes paying for your holiday all at once is not achievable. That's why we're offering a 50% deposit scheme when travelling with your vehicle.

Summer is the perfect time to take a holiday in Europe, and when you travel with your car or motorbike you can come, go, see and do exactly as you please.

Book before 30 June and pay 50% deposit for your Newcastle-Amsterdam crossing, with the balance not due until 45 days before you sail.

Hey Gerard,
As a member of the landed gentry your obviously travelling Commodore Class - with your usual personal butler etc:rolleyes:

We booked in November - same deal, 15% deposit etc - but our return fare (bike, rider, pillion) with inside 2-berth cabin on upper decks was only £257.55:D - hope the butler was worth the extra! - 'cos we're gonna get a hell of a lot of wine while we're away with the difference in your fare and our fare:thumb

Happy Hols..................Grizzly:beerjug:

Ah.....always go for the sea view cabin and top grub...I'm on me holidays! But not Commodore class! What would it cost if you booked it now?

Oh, and that's for 4 of us...2 bikes worth.

Ok, just checked and it would be £503 if we booked the same crossings now. So, compared to what we paid (£257), it's also almost doubled:eek:

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

I booked my Ijmuiden / Newcastle return in January for the 1st of July sailing...cost nowt :D

Work makes me run around the country repairing broken wires so..lots of fuel and plenty club card points..Tesco paid for my sailing in full. Portsmouth to Bilbao on the way out is bloody expensive though :blast

Back
Top Bottom