Which version of Navigator for 08 GSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryb

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm new to the 1200 GSA and about to take delivery of a 2008 model.

The twirly wheel on the handlebar arrived with later bikes so my question is, which version of the Navigator is best for my model year? I'm thinking there's no point in getting the later ones if my bike can't make best use of it. Thing is, I'm not sure which version refers to which model year.

Anyone know?

....which version of the Navigator is best for my model year? I'm thinking there's no point in getting the later ones....

You can buy / fit any Garmin / BMW branded or Tom Tom GPS device from the 550 onwards. They will all work.

In fact you could use any GPS device right back to the Garmin Quest, the Navigator 1 and the Palm Pilot, the bike won’t care.

Or just use a smart phone, as so many do now.

As Wapping says you can run any Navigator you like on a bike of that age and as long as it is waterproof it won't give you any real issues. BMW do sell a connector to fit any navigator to the bike which will involve a little soldering, or buy a BMW Navigator V or VI (both still available new) with the additional cradle and it will just plug into the wiring harness on the bike. Let me know if you want the BMW options and I will give you my best price.

Jim

Since you don't have thumbwheel control - a good S/H Zumo 660 is a good unit, or if more flush - a S/H 590?

Get one with "LM" (lifetime mapping) suffix - and you are sorted for the near future. Sell on, if you get a bike with thumbwheel control - at a later date.

The 4 button cradle makes it easier to use when riding and plug and play,
I run the nav 5 and find it quicker at following turns etc than earlier units,

As i said in my PM

Whatever nav you get, your going to need

Bike Mount & Nav cradle (basic / 4 button )

Optional *

BMW power plug for the loom
Ram arm / ball(s)

Nav wise

You can start with a Navigator 3 and go from there

BMW Nav III / Nav IV / Nav V / Nav VI

Garmin Zumo 2xx / 3xx / 4xx / 5xx / 6xx - From the 500 on you have 500/ 550 / 590LM / 595LM - 660 660LM 665

TomTom Rider 4xx / 5xx

Or you can decide to go Android or iOS

Then you will need

Bike Mount & Phone cradle

USB lead & USb Din Adaptor

Optional
Waterproof case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom