How do I deal with Flaking paint and corrosion 2014 GS

I always thought that all bmw’s are equally made and are fairly sensitive to corrosion (since the 2004MY when they changed into water based paints allegedly). I never really bought the story that two identical bikes, one rots and the other does not. Always thought it is each user’s methods that advance the rot or not. Well, until I experienced it myself. 14MY K1600, was prestine after 2 years and minimal dry mostly miles on tour. Acfd and garaged but never really meticulously cleaned. Its TB GSA 17my -same treatment, same acf bottle, same garage, was rotting within a few weeks and was fairly bad for its tiny 2k miles and 1 year with me. The MY 18 RT replacement of that which i have now with 4k miles and same everything, again. Looks prestine after 1 year (havent washed it yet to know exactly, but key points are clear). Weird. It must be how bikes are first assembled and perhaps stored at the factory or perhaps electrolysis factors in naked aluminum parts joined with other metals perhaps?

My 2015 GS had the engine and shaft replaced under warranty because of a few bits of flaky paint. There are no signs of anything going on with the paint on my 2017 GS {touch wood} after 24K miles. I can only conclude BMW have revised the paint/painting in the factory in light of their warranty experiences.

There have to be much cleaner examples out there.

My 2015 GS had the engine and shaft replaced under warranty because of a few bits of flaky paint. There are no signs of anything going on with the paint on my 2017 GS {touch wood} after 24K miles. I can only conclude BMW have revised the paint/painting in the factory in light of their warranty experiences.

There have to be much cleaner examples out there.

Yeah mine... it's mint.

2017 GSA TB - 15000 miles

Back
Top Bottom