Question for everyone

NicD

Reaction score
How many of you have any weights on rear wheel?

Have seen prior threads mentioning this. I know what the reason is. I just want to know how many people have weights vs don't as i have a theory

Every fitment is different. In theory you could have a tyre and wheel that go together and don’t need any balancing. I’ve fitted many tyers to my bikes down trough the years and never balanced them. When I get a tyre fitted by a dealer they usually balance it. Actually I blew off a weight while washing my bike yesterday. Didn’t notice any difference riding to work yesterday evening or coming home. Why are you asking? JJH

Thanks. Can I ask if the tyres were fitted by independent or dealer? And do you always have weights on rear after new tyre fitted?
Tyres fitted by dealers, wheels by me.

I'm happy with max of 10g weights, anything more and I will have tyres changed.

Present tyres Avon Trailriders.

I always have both front/rear dynamically balanced. I also had the wheels checked/balanced without tyres, so that I know it isn't them that's the issue.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks v much

Would be great to hear from as many as possible. Can't see how to set up a poll on here.

If you could, please answer:

1. Are there weights on your rear wheel?
2. Were there with your last set of tyres?
3. Were tyres fitted by dealer or independent? (if by you, counts as indy)

If others can just post the number and Y/N, dealer/indy answers that would be great

Asking because I had no weights on my wheel last time tyres fitted. Had new tyres fitted by a mechanic I know well and he told me they don't have the right adaptor for the dynamic balancing machine - they have a load of them and the rights ones for loads of different single sided swingarm bikes. But none fitted my GS. I balanced them myself and found they needed a few weights. Had a look at a couple of other GSs and saw same thing - no weights. Then searched posts on here and saw threads talking about this. So I wanted to ask, and would be interested to know

There was someone here, I've forgotten whom, who made/sold an adaptor for gs wheels.

It fits into middle of wheel the a spindle goes through middle.

1. Are there weights on your rear wheel, Y
2. Were there with your last set of tyres, Y
3. Were tyres fitted by dealer or independent, Micheldever Tyres

Thanks. The bikes i have looked at have shown about 80% incidence of no rear wheel weights. So far on this thread there is about 80% incidence of weights. Could be for a number of different reasons, including selection bias as those reading the thread might be more inclined to reply if they do have weights. Thank you to those who replied with "n"s

So, I would be interested to know if someone knows how to answer this question accurately (ie not just a guess):

40k miles is more than 34 million revolutions of the rear wheel (40k x 1.610 / 1.9 / 1000). If it needs 70g of weights (as mine does) but has none, can that contribute to a final drive seal failure directly, or indirectly via wear to bearing from the minimal lateral load?

Mine has weights, new tyres idependtly fitted, we spun back wheel up with no weights and was way out of balance the added weights and fine. Maybe it's a coincidence but my weights opposite valve, is it compensating for the RDC (tpms) unit?

Mine has weights, new tyres idependtly fitted, we spun back wheel up with no weights and was way out of balance the added weights and fine. Maybe it's a coincidence but my weights opposite valve, is it compensating for the RDC (tpms) unit?

That's the same as mine. Front and back. I think you're right

That's the same as mine. Front and back. I think you're right
Yes, the heaviest point should be at valve/tpms; there is a mark on the tyre, normally a circle or a yellow dot, which should be aligned with the valve, but often isn't. This can throw the whole wheel/tyre out of true.

As for extra wear in the drive train, yes. You've dynamically and static balanced the drive shafts ?

Oh the fun there used to be in doing torque tubes, anything that gave you a perceived advantage over the other drivers.

Running the front without any weights caused my whole dash/sat-nav to vibrate uncontrollably that I couldn't read either, strangely I couldn't feel it through the bars ?

Balancing sorted it.

I have always fitted my own tyres and static balanced them on an Abba balancer (because i'm tight)
My GS is still on original tyres and has no weight on the back but 30g on the front. I might take it off when i have time and check it on my balancer.

Back
Top Bottom