Battery charging question

DazGS

Reaction score
Hi all
Sorry if its already been asked, having recently purchased a R1200 GSA 2016. I have an Optimate 4 which i used without issue on a 2014 S1000rr, i connected directly to the battery with the leads provided. I assume this can be used on the GSA. i have seen there are BMW chargers as below but i guess this is if you want to connect the charger to the socket on the right hand of the bike.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...MIv9vA75Hi4QIVkc13Ch0_HwaDEAMYASAAEgJRnvD_BwE

I would prefer to just use the Optimate 4 connected to the battery if others have not had any issues with it.

Thanks

You will have no problem changing by connecting directly to the battery. Just use in the same way. JJH

Direct to battery - no issues. :thumby:

No problems on mine either. 2013 gs lc
I have the fly lead poking out under the edge of the seat and use an optimate extension lead with cig lighter to feed power into my tank bag for phone charging, powerbank charging etc.

Yep. Got an Optimate 4 connected directly to the battery on my GSA. No probs....

I've used my optimate 4 on both my LC GS's using the direct lead to the battery option without any problems

I use the Motorrad one. Works a treat and very handy being able to simply plug into the accessory socket.

Always astounds me that people add extra leads to their bike when its already there. Just plug it into the DIN socket on the dash. Unless for some unknown reason you want to add extra unnecessary leads to your bike ?

:confused:

I had an Optimate 4 that was Canbus compatible and had a dedicated lead. It even had instructions for setting Canbus mode and worked perfectly charging the battery from the onboard socket on both LC GS and My S1000XR. The only time it didn’t work in situ was when the battery went flat (improperly wired tracker), but then even with a BMW-dedicated charger the battery would have to come out.

Always astounds me that people add extra leads to their bike when its already there. Just plug it into the DIN socket on the dash. Unless for some unknown reason you want to add extra unnecessary leads to your bike ?

My Optimate lead also doubles up to provide power to my heated jacket ;)

I’ve got a Ctek which is not canbus compatible and I also use the flylead to connect my airman pump :nod

You wouldn't use an obsolete old incompatible charger for your phone, why use one for your bike ?

and whats with carrying an air pump with you ?
Theres one in every garage. in 35 years I've never required an air pump. Just something else unnecessary ?

My Optimate lead also doubles up to provide power to my heated jacket ;)

What he said

Oh and 5to6 amp is max out of the canbus DIN plug many compressors and other accessories draw just a bit more than you can get out of the DIN socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres one in every garage. in 35 years I've never required an air pump. Just something else unnecessary ?

Lucky bugger stop bragging.

What he said

Oh and 5to6 amp is max out of the canbus DIN plug many compressors and other accessories draw just a bit more than you can get out of the DIN socket

Shouldn't you be in the motorhome forum ? :D

I have connected the optimate lead to a din plug on one of the side panels. I use that to charge the bike, but I take an air pump on the longer trips which is too powerful for the Canbus socket. Have used it to inflate tyres on friends bikes after fixing punctures. Garages are never nearby when u wake up to find a flat tyre!!

Back
Top Bottom